Mwala defaulters to lose water supply

The Star ­ Friday
Date: 03.07.2015
Page 11
Article size: 38 cm2
ColumnCM: 8.44
AVE: 14862.22
Mwala defaulters to lose water supply
BY ANDREW MBUVA
MWALA Water and Sanitation Company in
Machakos county yesterday told defaulters
they will be disconnected starting next week.
Company director Shedrak Muya said de­
faulters owe the company more than Sh2.6
million in debts.
He said out of 1,600 live connections of
the company's water supply, about 1,000
have not been paying their monthly bills.
Muya said starting Monday, the company
will mount a major operation to disconnect
the supply to all those who will have not
paid their bills.
He warned of legal measures against those
that have hooke dup illegal connections.
Muya was speaking to the Star after the
company resumed its operations that had
stalled for more than three months following
a Sh3.2 million debt owed to Kenya Power.
Last month, Wamunyu residents urged
the company to the hand over its manage­
ment to the county government, accusing it
of failing in its mandate.
Yesterday, Muya defended the manage­
ment, saying the old pipe system has been a
problem to their operations.
Ipsos Kenya ­ Acorn House,97 James Gichuru Road ­ Lavington ­ Nairobi ­ Kenya