Leasehold Panel Minutes of the meeting, Wednesday the 9 December 2015 1. Attendance: Leaseholders: Mrs Anne Goodhew (Chair of the Leasehold Panel), Mrs Azemina Miftaroska, Mr R Towerzey, Ms Anne Gibson, Ms Sue Brown (Vice-Chair Leasehold Panel), Ms Mary Rawitzer, Ms Pam Furse, Mrs Shirley Perlman, Ms Maureen Clement, Ms Iris Wenda Ramsamy, Mr John Nolan, Mr Lloyd Grandson, Mr Peter Gilbert, Mr Martin Harley, Mr S Sengupta, Mr S Harris, Ms J Gardner, Ms Odette Lewis, Ms Eileen Marshall, Ms Bridget Lane, Mr Nick Martin-Clark, Ms Lucille Parris, Miss Mercy Boahene (23) Apologies: Mrs M Shaw, Mrs Rita Batzias Chair: Mrs Anne Goodhew Officers: Mrs Chinyere Ugwu, Community Development Director, Ms Sue Witherspoon, Housing Strategy and Projects Officer, Haringey Council, Mr Nesan Thevanesan, Head of Income & Home Ownership, Mr Peter Mair, Recovery & Litigation Manager and Mr Bruce Nicholas, Policy Officer who took the minutes. At the start of the meeting Ms Brown abruptly interrupted the Chair in order to raise the question of the status of the Resident Involvement Agreement. In complete opposition to the Chair she demanded that it should be discussed as one of the main items on the agenda even though the Chair said she would be happy for it to be discussed under any other business since there was a full agenda. However Mr Martin-Clark disregarded the Chair’s request and continued with the discussion in order to support Ms Brown’s proposal. Since it was taking a considerable time at the start of the meeting, the Chair put the matter to the Panel for a vote as to whether the topic should be included in the main agenda. The Panel rejected the proposal by 13 Page 1 of 8 votes to 8, deciding that the matter should be discussed under any other business. 2. Leaseholder Engagement and Communication: Leaseholder Survey 2015 – the findings – Chinyere Ugwu, Community Development Mrs Ugwu began her talk by noting that she had first talked to the Panel on this subject in June. She wanted to thank all those who had responded to the survey questionnaire which had been sent to every leaseholder of Haringey Council (4,684 in total) by email and by post. Just under 500 leaseholders had responded to the survey. She advised the Panel that a full summary of the results had been published and was available to download from Homes for Haringey’s website. In relation to those who responded, 52% were the original leaseholders under the Right to Buy and 75% were residing in their properties. They were broadly representative of the different types of property owned by the Council in the borough. About 79% had had no previous direct involvement in shaping services; 38% said they did not have the time or that the meetings were inconvenient to attend. The preferred methods of engagement were given as follows: On-line surveys – 32% Postal surveys – 26% Leasehold Panel – 13% Attending one off focus groups with specific topic of interest – 12% Mrs Ugwu explained that Homes for Haringey had ascertained from conversations with leaseholders and wider feedback that there were four main issues for them: Ease of service access and reliable advice They felt the service experience was disjointed The communication was sometimes not clear on responsibilities, options and service standards The charging of service charges and major works invoices did not seem transparent enough. As a result of this feedback, the following objectives had been established: To improve leaseholders’ general perception of the service and To build a more effective relationship with leaseholders Going forward, Homes for Haringey’s strategy would therefore be: through better engagement to achieve a more reliable and effective service. Page 2 of 8 Mrs Ugwu said that Homes for Haringey wanted to set up a more inclusive system for engaging leaseholders, placing greater priority on obtaining a broad section of residents’ views via: Surveys (online, phone, email and by post) One-off focus groups Four leaseholder groups Resident Board Members will continue to have an important role regarding oversight and accountability This strategy would enable more leaseholders to be involved since the majority had said they did not have time to attend meetings. It would reach more leaseholders without incurring additional costs. The main underlying principles were as follows. Improved / wider communication using preferred channels including e-newsletters to obtain a wider feedback. More was now available online and there was increasing use of email Multi-faceted approach – sharing feedback on engagement preferences and results of service assessments to obtain views on options Regular planned activity to seek feedback on specific topics with updates on actions taken in response to issues raised and residents’ feedback on their effectiveness. Mrs Ugwu informed the Panel that the next steps in line with and to supplement this strategy were planned as follows Share feedback results and seek wider engagement through leaseholders’ preferred channels – email, post and website Use of quick mini surveys with more specific focus groups where appropriate to review aspects of the service. Review the service in its entirety in greater detail to ensure the service experience is consistently reliable, transparent and to standard Develop plans for service improvement and full communication on review topics / engagement issues and share widely. Test and launch the proposed new ‘My Haringey App’ – a new channel of communication Revisit whether improvements work with leaseholders. Ms Brown claimed that there was nothing new in the proposals which would address leaseholders’ dissatisfaction. Mrs Ugwu replied that the strategy would be reinforced by the work of a well known external consultancy, the Housing Quality Network (HQN). It was currently undertaking a survey of leasehold services and all leaseholders would be consulted about their recommendations through the channels she had outlined. Page 3 of 8 Mr Thevanesan added that in response to the Council’s requirements HQN were undertaking a general review of all aspects of leasehold services. HQN’s recommendations would be incorporated in an action plan which would be benchmarked with the best practice of other leading housing providers. It would then be shared with leaseholders including the Panel. Mr Gilbert asked whether the rate of response was comparable to other surveys of this nature. Mrs Ugwu confirmed that it was a good rate of response. Mr Martin-Clark raised a question about the four leaseholder groups, since he said it was unclear what they referred to. Mr Thevanesan said that various types of groups could look at service related issues such as in relation to high rise, medium rise and street properties. Mr Martin-Clark complained that the strategy would abolish any role for the group he was involved in, that is the Haringey Leaseholders’ Association. A member of the Panel asked whether leaseholders whose first language was not English for example, might be disadvantaged by the new strategy. Mr Thevanesan replied that it would be picked up in the action plan since it was clearly very important to ensure that the elderly and vulnerable were not disadvantaged. Mrs Goodhew thanked Mrs Ugwu for her interesting presentation. 3. Estate Renewal Re-housing and Payments Policy consultation – Sue Witherspoon, Housing Strategy and Projects Officer, Haringey Council Ms Witherspoon started her talk by noting that since the consultation had recently started, leaseholders had until the 17/01/2016 to return their questionnaires (subsequently extended to the 14/02/2016). They could complete it online or by email (scanned copy) or through the post. She explained that the consultation was part of the Council’s standard approach to such matters. The Cabinet had received a report detailing the policy proposals for payments and it had therefore requested feedback from residents. She said that the proposals related to estates where substantial changes were proposed requiring residents to move out, such as major refurbishment, extensive reconstruction or demolition. Full details of the proposals were available on the Council’s website. They would establish consistent standards across the borough which would be published for everyone to refer to. The new policy would apply to leaseholders and secure tenants. Page 4 of 8 Ms Witherspoon said it was accepted that some regeneration proposals were controversial and residents would always be consulted about them and feedback provided to Councillors before they were finalised. Referring to the ‘Consultation summary’, she pointed out that the policies for resettlement would vary according to local circumstances, such as the number and type of new dwellings. Hence the Council could not always commit to guaranteeing residents the right of return to their estates. Where leaseholders’ properties had to be demolished there would be individual negotiations. Leaseholders would be entitled by law to compensation at the market value plus 10% Home Loss and this was the standard the Council proposed to adopt. If the Council paid more than this it would reduce the potential return from a redevelopment scheme since its funding came purely from rents and service charges. Where people’s circumstances were such that this level of compensation would cause them particular problems, the Council would be prepared to consider alternatives if possible. Ms Witherspoon said that it was open to respondents to the questionnaire to draw attention to any possible problems of this approach. Home Loss compensation payments would be payable to leaseholders and freeholders who had to move. Payments would only be made if the resident leaseholder or freeholder had been resident for at least a year as their only or main residence. Payments would be subject to deductions for any costs or charges owed to the Council. Leaseholders and freeholders would also be entitled to disturbance payments, covering things such as surveyors’ fees, legal fees, Land Registry fees and other costs of the move. Leaseholders and freeholders would have to make a detailed claim for expenses and provide receipts. The Council was considering whether to make either one-off or phased payments. Once a regeneration scheme had been decided the Council could issue compulsory purchase orders (CPOs) if necessary. Leaseholder could challenge issues in respect of property valuation through the First-tier Tribunal (Property Chamber). Certain matters other than valuations could be challenged through the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government. A leaseholder raised the question as to how the Council would determine the market values of properties. Ms Witherspoon replied that the Council had a well established policy for obtaining property valuations and that all valuations would be undertaken through the District Valuer. Page 5 of 8 Ms Brown cited cases where the amounts leaseholders had received in compensation had not been sufficient to buy one of the new properties on their estate. If they had wanted to remain they had had to agree to a scheme whereby the Council owned a share of the equity in their property. She said that this sort of issue was not referred to in the report. Ms Witherspoon replied that her question related to the situation where particular issues arose from personal circumstances. An example would be where a leaseholder was too old to obtain a further mortgage or already had an extended mortgage. Such matters would have to be discussed on a case by case basis. In response to another question she explained that leaseholders who were subletting their properties would be entitled to compensation at market value. Mr Martin-Clark said that he felt it was clear that there was no guarantee that a leaseholder would be able to return to the estate where their property had been situated after it had been redeveloped. Ms Witherspoon agreed that this was the case and that observations on such issues could legitimately be included in questionnaire responses. However she noted that the Council would endeavour to accommodate people as far as possible, subject to the resources it had available. Mrs Goodhew thanked Ms Witherspoon for her interesting talk 4. Report on recovery policy 2015/16 including actuals for the last financial year, 2014/15 – Peter Mair, Recovery & Litigation Manager Mr Mair said he would provide a short update on the recovery policy. The Home Ownership Team was sending more reminders by text and email, which enabled savings on postage. By such means they sought to ensure that leaseholders had sufficient notice before legal action was taken in respect of arrears of payment. Going forward, additional options would be explored using the social media. Reminders would continue to be sent by post, especially where people did not have access to alternative methods. He explained that where leaseholders had financial problems they were signposted to the appropriate agencies to obtain independent debt advice. Prompt recovery action was always required to prevent the accumulation of arrears. However this should always be balanced by a sensitive approach where possible. Feedback from leaseholders concerning recovery methods would always be carefully considered 5. Report from Strategic Core Group – Anne Goodhew Page 6 of 8 TBA Mrs Goodhew informed the Panel that the next meeting was to be held on the 4 March and there would be a pre-meeting on the 19 February. If leaseholders had any issues regarding the Decent Homes Programme or major works she would be grateful if they could let her know by email: [email protected] or by phone: 020 8489 3487. Ms Rawitzer asked how long it should take after the completion of a major work for the final account to be issued. Mr Thevanesan said it should be about 12 weeks but he agreed that there had been some regrettable delays. He said that Homes for Haringey was working with contractors to reduce the time taken for them to issue the final accounts, but in some cases issues had arisen which were taking a long time to resolve. Action point. Mr Thevanesan said he would obtain some information from Asset Management and report back to the Panel on the action being taken to speed up the issue of the final accounts for major works. 6. Minutes of the meeting of the 13 October 2015 – These were agreed as a true record with Mr Martin-Clark dissenting in relation to item 7 since he believed that he believed that the questionnaire had not been properly consulted on before it had been issued. 7. Any other business Ms Brown expressed the view that an urgent meeting of the Leasehold Panel should now be called to discuss the future of the Resident Involvement Agreement. In response Mr Thevanesan said that In the first place the agenda had to be agreed with Homes for Haringey and the Chair in advance of the meeting. Furthermore Haringey Leaseholders Association had now raised the matter by means of a letter from their solicitor. This meant that as far as Homes for Haringey was concerned it was subject to a formal legal process outside of the Panel and so he could not comment any further. In relation to the future of the Panel, Homes for Haringey had decided to continue its existence as a result of the views expressed through the survey to all leaseholders (discussed at item one on the agenda). Page 7 of 8 Mrs Goodhew then raised the following matter. A proposal was going to the Cabinet to reduce litter picking and street cleaning to once a week so if anyone wished to comment on the matter they should raise it with their Councillor as soon as possible. Mrs Goodhew thanked everyone for attending and closed the meeting. Page 8 of 8
© Copyright 2026 Paperzz