THE PRESS, Christchurch Saturday, April 2, 2011 NEWS A11 ■ CHRISTCHURCH DISTRICT COURT Unlawful actions end in jail Double-dip warning Police accept that a 21-year-old helped with rescue operations in the city on February 2,2 but his misguided actions two days later have brought a two-month prison term. The jail term was imposed on Nathan John de Seymour at a sitting of the Christchurch District Court inside the Christchurch Men’s Prison today. De Seymour has been in custody since his arrest on February 24 so he will be released immediately. He had previous burglary convictions, but he pleaded guilty yesterday when police dropped their burglary allegations and replaced them with charges of being unlawfully in a building. A 19-year-old Christchurch man who allegedly claimed to have lost his job and needed money after the February 22 earthquake was yesterday arrested on charges of obtaining by deception. He allegedly claimed the lossof-income benefit available to people affected by the quake. Police located the man at his workplace yesterday after inquiries established he was still receiving his normal wage. ‘‘I suspect this will be just the tip of the iceberg . . . people need to be warned that if they try to double-dip they will be charged,’’ Detective Sergeant Ross Tarawhiti said. The man will reappear in the Christchurch District Court on June 1. Moving on: Nick Walls’ positive attitude helped him make a good recovery after being crushed in the Pyne Gould building, says charge nurse manager Karen Wilson. PGC victim walks out of hospital A man who had part of his buttocks amputated after being trapped for 10 hours in an earthquake-hit building walked out of Christchurch Hospital this week. Nick Walls, a senior accountant with Leech & Partners, suffered crush syndrome after he was pinned by debris and had to wait for rescue with several trapped colleagues when the Pyne Gould Corporation building in Cambridge Tce collapsed at 12.51pm on February 22. ‘‘I dived under the desk while I was still on the phone and everything just started tumbling. Then it just went black and silent for the next 10 hours pretty much,’’ he told The Press in an earlier interview. Walls, 30, was freed from the rubble about 11pm and had surgery to amputate muscles and tissue around his buttocks. He spent five weeks recovering in Christchurch Hospital’s orthopaedic ward, but attended the wedding of friends Hayden and Nicola Garbutt in Halswell on March 18. Walls said he could not fault the care he received in hospital, but had been eager to get home. ‘ There have been so many people affected by what has happened, and much worse than us. We are so lucky to have Nick with us. Jenny Walls Injured man’s mother ‘‘They’re just an amazing bunch of dedicated doctors and nurses, as well as everyone else who works [at Christchurch Hospital] who has been involved in my care,’’ he said. ‘‘Without them, I wouldn’t be walking out today [Thursday].’’ Walls’ mother, Jenny, said it had been an extremely hard time for the family, but they were the lucky ones. ‘‘There have been so many people affected by what has happened, and much worse than us. We are so lucky to have Nick with us,’’ she said. Ward charge nurse manager Karen Wilson said Walls had made a great recovery because of his positive attitude, determination to walk and support from family, friends and hospital staff. LOT0825CP Nicole Mathewson He also admitted charges of falsely representing himself to be an Earthquake Commission official. Defence counsel Philip Allan said: ‘‘The police now accept that he had wanted to help, but he went entirely the wrong way about it, and that’s why he faces these four charges.’’ Police prosecutor Anselm Williams said de Seymour went to two properties in Eastern Terrace, Beckenham, at 3.50pm on February 24. De Seymour introduced himself as an EQC inspection team member and went through every room of one house making his ‘‘inspection’’. De Seymour made no notes or recommendations and the house- holder then called the authorities and spoke to the person the ‘‘inspector’’ had claimed to be. The householder then followed de Seymour to another address where he looked at damage to brickwork and said he would have to issue a red sticker if the wall inside had pulled away from the floor. De Seymour left the property when that householder also made a phone call. He told the police he gave false information about his identity because he thought that otherwise people would not take his safety advice seriously. Allan said de Seymour had been assisting unofficially as a volunteer with rescue efforts on the day of the quake, and had been pulling people out of buildings. He said he had photographs of the rescue efforts on his cellphone. He had asked one householder about a laptop computer so that he could use it to show him the photographs. Judge Gary MacAskill jailed him for two months. ‘‘Police accept that you were acting in a misguided fashion, and that you had been involved in assisting in the aftermath of the February 22 earthquake in an unofficial capacity,’’ the judge said. ‘‘ However, on February 24 you were acting entirely NZPA inappropriately.’’
© Copyright 2026 Paperzz