A4 NEWS Friday, December 2, 2011 ■ HIGH COURT THE PRESS, Christchurch ■ MARTIAL ARTS ■ MINING SAFETY Huntly mine meeting called Man gets four years jail for deadly crash David Clarkson Timothy George Surynt committed manslaughter on the day he won $2000 on the poker machines at a pub and went drink-driving at high speed. The 19-year-old woman passenger he killed when his car crashed into a parked car on Wairakei Rd had told him to ‘‘cut it out’’ when his highspeed driving frightened her. The 21-year-old was sentenced to four years’ jail by Justice Fogarty in a High Court sitting in the Ashburton courthouse yesterday. Justice Fogarty said Surynt crashed late at night after beginning drinking after work at 3.30pm on April 15, when he won $2000 on the poker machines at the Bush Bar. He then went to another bar. Surynt had pleaded guilty to manslaughter, reckless driving causing injury to a friend, whose ankle, ribs and shoulder blade were broken in the crash, and drink-driving. Justice Fogarty said Surynt had tried to dial 111 after the crash, but was plainly in shock and had not appreciated how badly his passenger was injured. Aimee Ford, 17, the younger sister of the victim, Emma Jayne Ford, said Emma had been her best friend since their mother’s death when Aimee was six. She could not understand why Surynt did not go to her sister’s aid in the crashed car. Emma’s father, Alistair Ford, told the court: ‘‘I would have thought that Tim owed Emma the decency of apologising to us.’’ He saw Surynt as non-caring and heartless. ‘‘Emma made people shine with her personality,’’ Ford said. ‘‘She was gifted beyond her years. We lost the heart of our family. Emma was our best friend, daughter, and mum to us all.’’ Crown prosecutor Tim Mackenzie said experts assessed the speed at between 80kmh and 98kmh at the time of the crash. It involved excessive speed in a dense urban area and disregarded warnings from a passenger. Surynt had breached his restricted licence by carrying passengers, driving after 10pm, and driving a ‘ We lost the heart of our family. Emma was our best friend, daughter, and mum to us all. Alistair Ford victim’s father Spirit moves: Hiriwa ‘‘T-Man’’ Te Rangi says he is prepared for ‘‘whatever the man upstairs has ready for me’’. Timothy George Surynt manual vehicle when he was licensed for automatics only. His breath alcohol level was 599mcg. Mackenzie asked the judge to impose a minimum non-parole term to increase the deterrent element of the sentence. ‘‘The Crown says there is a prevalence of young men, intoxicated, killing people in cars.’’ However, Justice Fogarty ruled that out, saying there was no precedent for it in other cases. Defence lawyer Craig Ruane told the court that Surynt had been deeply remorseful, shocked, and upset by what had happened. Surynt had written an apology letter to the family, in his own words, without prompting, four days after the crash. Ruane had not passed on the letter until after the guilty pleas. The judge imposed concurrent sentences of four years’ jail, and disqualified Surynt from driving for 18 months, and gave him a first warning under the Government’s three-strikes legislation, which imposes heavier penalties on repeat violent offenders. Photo: FAIRFAX NZ From cage fighter to punching preacher Veteran Invercargill cage fighter Hiriwa ‘‘T-Man’’ Te Rangi will transform into the punching preacher next year when he moves to Christchurch to study to become a pastor. Te Rangi, who has carved out a colourful mixed martial arts and kickboxing career during the past 25 years, will fight in his last Southland bout on December 10. That Battle of the Gladiators match will see him defend his New Zealand heavyweight mixed martial arts title against Wellington’s Pete Aberdeen. Te Rangi has never been short of a surprise during his fighting career and admitted his move to study theology at Christchurch’s Vision College next year was a shock even to him. ‘‘If you asked me a year ago, that I’d be training to become a pastor, I’d have told them to shove off,’’ he said. ‘‘Being a pastor is going to be unreal. I’m prepared for whatever the man upstairs has ready for me.’’ Te Rangi was baptised in April and is a member of the Acts Churches New Zealand, formerly the Apostolic Church. He started tagging along to the Invercargill Christian Centre with his fiancee, Tash Tawhara, and said he realised he wanted to make a difference through his faith. Te Rangi grew up as a member of the Ratana Church while living in Whanganui, but said he lost interest in religion as he became older. ‘‘In 1988, I moved away – the whole thing wasn’t for me – and I started fighting.’’ Combat sport served as an outlet for him to deal with his problems and anger as a young man. He said he could easily have taken the wrong path in life. Fairfax NZ ■ CANTERBURY DISTRICT HEALTH BOARD Plan in place to destroy old patient records Jo McKenzie-McLean [email protected] Thousands of decades-old patient records are to be destroyed to free up space and cut costs. The Canterbury District Health Board has adopted a disposal policy for old clinical records that have been piling up in secure storage units. The board’s corporate privacy officer, Greg Brogden, said its disposal policy was in line with other district health boards, which had been destroying old records for some time. The cleanout would be a ‘‘huge’’ task, with records dating back to the 1960s. They included 6000 crates of radiology film and 106,000 records of deceased people. Initially, the hospital would destroy the records of those who died more than 10 years ago. It would then destroy records 10 years after the last patient visit, with some exceptions for obstetric, paediatric and radiotherapy records, he said. Previously, the board did not have a policy and all records were kept and stored at a secure facility. The cost was about $1 million a year for storage and retrieval of the records. ‘‘Sometimes records are useful, but because it costs us to have records in storage and space is at a premium, we have to put a policy in place.’’ The Public Records Act also required the district health board to adopt a disposal policy, Brogden said. Many of the records being destroyed were duplicates, with many now stored electronically. The disposal will be overseen by the clinical records manager of Ashburton Hospital, along with the corporate legal team and the chief archivist. In some cases, records would be offered to Archives New Zealand, he said. Mine owner Solid Energy will hold a public meeting today as more Huntly East miners blow the whistle on unsafe practices. The company announced the meeting to discuss the ‘‘safety regime’’ last night amid accusations workers covered gas sensors on their cutting equipment in order to meet targets. Solid Energy chief executive Don Elder and chief operating officer Barry Bragg, as well as local managers, will host the meeting for staff and stakeholders. Bragg said he remained confident the mine was operating safely and he could not find any evidence to support the allegations made to news media. He said no staff member had discussed concerns with the company, union or Labour Department. But a miner said shortcuts were being taken due to the poor state of the mine’s ventilation system. He said workers put rags over the sensors which automatically switched off their equipment when methane levels reached 1.25 per cent. It was a dangerous practice given the high concentration of methane – and poor ventilation – in the section of mine they were currently working in, he said. They were warned when they started on the section in January that there would be three to four times the usual level of methane. The high levels of gas meant cutting equipment continually switched off, frustrating some. ‘‘They have to stop what they’re doing, walk to their station, reset the equipment, then walk back and continue what they’re doing.’’ He said breaching the 1.25 per cent gas level was becoming increasingly common. Solid Energy would not be drawn on the allegation last night, saying the issues could be raised at today’s meeting. Meanwhile, a concerned family member spoke out about the coalmine, saying dodgy practices had been going on since long before the Pike River disaster. The woman, who declined to be named for fear of exposing her family to persecution, said she worried about her men in the mine ‘‘all the time’’. ‘‘After Pike it was a relief that the safety was going to be looked at. I am really shocked that is still going on.’’ She said the staff were motivated by managers who received a ‘‘personal bonus’’ if their crew met or exceeded production targets. ‘‘No production, no bonuses,’’ she said. Fairfax NZ
© Copyright 2026 Paperzz