Hamas Holds Gaza Rally to Mark one Year since War

Hamas Holds Gaza Rally
Mark one Year since War
to
Hamas’ armed wing, the Al-Qassam Brigades, held a rally in
Gaza City late Wednesday to mark the anniversary of the war on
Gaza.
Several hundred people crowded into a central Gaza City square
after the traditional fast-breaking meal during the Muslim
holy month of Ramadan for a rally by the Al-Qassam Brigades.
Brigades members with their faces covered with black keffiyeh
scarves stood in front of what appeared to be models of two
missiles about three to four metres (9 to 13 feet) in length
aboard the bed of a military truck.
Fathers held their children on their shoulders and brigades
members lifted their weapons in the air as spokesman Abu
Obeida gave a speech, his face covered as usual in a red
keffiyeh.
Abu Obeida said two new locally made missiles represented a
“qualitative leap” forward, but did not provide details.
The war took a heavy toll on Gaza, killing 2,251 Palestinians,
including more than 500 children. Seventy-three people were
killed on the Israeli side, including 67 soldiers.
A UN report released last month said both sides may have
committed war crimes during the conflict in and around the
impoverished enclave of 1.8 million people.
Israel held a memorial on Monday for its 73 victims killed in
the war, where Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
defended the military offensive.
Indirect talks on shoring up the ceasefire and easing Israel’s
blockade have taken place, but there have been no signs that a
deal could be reached anytime soon.
The blockade, as well as a lack of financing from
international donors, has been blamed for the slow pace of
reconstruction in Gaza, where around 18,000 homes were
destroyed or severely damaged.
A split between Hamas and the Palestinian Authority led by
president Mahmoud Abbas, which runs the Israeli-occupied West
Bank, has worsened the situation. Reconciliation attempts have
failed to heal the rift.
Meanwhile, Hamas has been challenged by Salafist extremists in
Gaza claiming links to the Islamic State jihadist group and
who have taken credit for recent rocket fire.
(Ma’an – www.maannews.net)