Media Release Outback power price cuts from July 1

Media Release
Outback power price cuts from July 1
4 July 2014
Coober Pedy’s OPAL campaign success
Electricity prices in Coober Pedy and a dozen other Outback centres have been cut, backdated to
July 1st.
The new tariffs and the start date have been confirmed in writing by the State Government, fulfilling
an election promise made by Mines and Energy Minister (and now Treasurer) Tom Koutsantonis.
An elated Coober Pedy Mayor Steve Baines said the win was a direct result of a campaign waged by
the District Council of Coober Pedy and the Coober Pedy Retail, Business and Tourism Association,
strongly backed by local MP Eddie Hughes.
“The new tariffs exceed our expectations and I’m very happy with them”, Mayor Baines said.
“To quote the letter from the Government, ‘Domestic and General Supply tariffs are now based on
an average of South Australian on-grid respective domestic and general supply standing contract
tariffs (2014-15 tariffs based on March 2014 prices)’.
“The new tariffs will be posted on the Department of State Development’s website and can be
accessed at www.energy.sa.gov.au/raes”.
The new domestic power rate for Coober Pedy is $70.45 supply charge per quarter, with the first 300
kWh charged at 33.44 cents/kWh per quarter, rising to 39.71 cents/kWh for the highest users.
The General Supply rate is $72.02 supply charge per quarter, with the first 2,500 kWh rate set at
35.02 cents/kWh per quarter, rising to 38.18 cents/kWh at the highest level.
“I commend the Government for standing by its commitment in reducing tariffs to these new levels,
which will make a significant difference to business confidence, and to domestic users, throughout
the SA Outback”, Mayor Baines said.
“I would also like to thank the Retail, Business and Tourism Association for joining with Council in the
Outback Power Action Lobby – OPAL – which worked hard to bring about this change. OPAL staged
a campaign through the media, and directly to politicians on both sides of politics, throughout the
State Election campaign earlier this year and we are very pleased that the promises which were
obtained through that campaign have now been honoured.
“Particular thanks also go to the Member for Giles, Eddie Hughes MP, who took the case to his
Parliamentary colleagues and helped ensure the Treasurer understood the importance of this
measure, even while framing a difficult State Budget”.
OPAL Co-Chairman Robert Coro agreed that the outcome of the campaign was very good. “Good
partnerships get good results”, he said.
“We are pleased Coober Pedy has got a big win”.
Media information:
Mayor Steve Baines
86725062; 0418 890 710
Robert Coro
8672 5688; 0419 828 615