HTC remains silent on rumored Facebook phone Taipei, April 3 (CNA) Taiwan’s HTC Corp. declined to comment Wednesday on media reports that it will unveil a new phone featuring unique Facebook functionalities at a press conference to be held by the social networking website in the United States. Facebook said in an invitation sent to the media a week earlier that it will hold a news event April 4 with the theme of “Come See Our New Home on Android,” raising media speculation that it will showcase a customized handset in partnership with HTC. U.S.-based tech news website Engadget also reported last month that the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) approved March 22 an HTC phone called “PM33100” for use in the U.S., which was labeled “HTC First” in a leaked image by Twitter account @evleaks April 2. Engadget reported March 22 that the new HTC-Facebook device, which has been referred to by earlier media reports as the “HTC Myst,” will have dual-band Wi-Fi connectivity, Bluetooth 4.0 wireless radio technology and long-term evolution (LTE) connectivity compatible with the AT&T Inc. network. The Android-powered phone will also be equipped with a 4.3inch 720p display, a 1.5-gigahertz dual-core microprocessor from Qualcomm Inc. and a 5-megapixel rear camera, the report said. The device has been described as HTC’s latest attempt to jump into the fast-growing social networking market. In February 2011, the Taoyuan-based company unveiled the HTC ChaCha and HTC Salsa phones, both of which have an exclusive button to connect with Facebook. But the two devices appeared to receive a lukewarm response from the public when they went on sale, as AT&T, the secondlargest U.S. wireless carrier, slashed its orders for the HTC ChaCha in September 2011, according to a research note by J.P. Morgan Securities. (By Jeffrey Wu) ENDITEM/J
© Copyright 2026 Paperzz