WORLD SPORT Email: [email protected] Gulf Daily News Sunday, 14th December 2014 ‘I may never play again’ says injured Clarke ADELAIDE, Australia: Australia captain Michael Clarke has raised the prospect that his cricket career could be over after injuring his hamstring in the opening Test against India in Adelaide yesterday. Clarke said he intended to keep playing but the laTest setback, which the 33-year-old said would force him to miss the remaining three Tests of a series, had caused him to think about his future. “There’s a chance I may never play again,” he told a news conference at Adelaide Oval. “I hope that’s not the case and I’ll be doing everything in my power to get back out on the park, but I have to be realistic as well.” Clarke did not finish the match, which ended with Australia securing a thrilling 48-run victory, after he hurt himself on the final day. He was sent for scans for the second time in a mat- ter of days when he injured himself while fielding in the second session, pulling up sharply after feeling the hamstring go when reaching down to stop a ball. He limped off with the assistance of the Australian team physiotherapist and said later the early prognosis was not good. “The scans are not great, they certainly showed a tear there,” Clarke said. “The experts are looking at them and I can pretty confidently say that I won’t take part in this Test series.” Troubled Clarke has been troubled by hamstring and back issues since he was a teenager but the problem has only worsened in recent months. He almost missed the first Test because of a recurring hamstring problem and suffered a painful back injury while batting in the first innings. He retired hurt but recommenced his innings the next day, scoring a century, only to suffer another problem yesterday. “I did my left hamstring (previously). I’ve done my right side of my back, I’ve just done my right hammy... I’ve got injury concerns at the moment,” Clarke said. “Now I’ve got to go back and do what the experts tell me, to give myself my best chance of being fully fit. “But I think I have to be honest with myself and have a good hard think about things, definitely.” With Clarke ruling himself out of the second Test starting in Brisbane next week, Australia selectors called up middle-order batsman Shaun Marsh to a squad that will be led once more by wicketkeeper and vice-captain Brad Haddin. Left-arm paceman Mitchell Starc was also added with the starting 11 to finalised next week. The third starts in Melbourne on Dec. 26 then the last is in Sydney from Jan. 6. Sri Lanka claim series KANDY, Sri Lanka: Kumar Sangakkara slammed a run-a-ball 112 yesterday to set up Sri Lanka’s series-clinching 90-run win over England in the sixth one-day international in Kandy. The victory helped Sri Lanka take an unassailable 4-2 lead in the seven-match series with one more game to be played in Colombo on Tuesday. The in-form Sangakkara hit 12 fours and two sixes as Sri Lanka posted an imposing 292-7 before bowling out the visitors for 202 off 41.3 overs. It was the 20th ODI ton for the stylish left-hander, who is set to retire after the World Cup early next year. Fast bowler Suranga Lakmal took a career-best 4-30 while Sachithra Senanayake picked 3-33. England have now lost six of their last seven ODI series and nine of their last 12 ODIs. Joe Root top-scored with 55 after his side were off to a quick start, scoring 50 runs in the first 10 overs. Root, fresh from his match-winning century in the last game, however, got little help from the other batsmen. Captain Alastair Cook’s wretched form with the bat continued, making just one run before being trapped leg before by Senanayake off the third ball of the innings. Cook has scored just one half-century in his last 21 ODI innings. Earlier, in the day the skipper had dropped an easy catch off Sangakkara when the batsman was on 41. SCOREBOARD Sri Lanka M Jayawardene c Taylor b Woakes 5 T Dilshan c Bopara b Tredwell 68 K Sangakkara c Ali b Jordan 112 S Prasanna c Morgan b Finn 20 A Mathews c Bulter b Finn 1 D Chandimal b Jordan 35 T Perera c Cook b Woakes 16 J Mendis not out 12 Extras: (10b, 4lb, 8w, 1nb) 23 Total: (seven wickets) 292 Overs: 50 Fall of wickets: 1-8, 2-161, 3-186, 4-191, 5-243, 6-262, 7-292. Bowling: S Finn 9-0-53-2 (3w), C Woakes 10-1-51-2 (1w), M Ali 8-046-0 (1nb), J Tredwell 10-0-37-1 (1w), C Jordan 9-0-68-2 (3w), R Bopara 3-0-19-0, J Root 1-0-4-0. England A Cook lbw b Senanayake 1 M Ali c Sangakkara b Dilshan 34 J Taylor b Senanayake 10 J Root b Lakmal 55 R Bopara c Senanayake b Lakmal 13 E Morgan c Sangakkara b Lakmal 0 J Butler run out 22 C Woakes c and b Dilshan 41 C Jordan c Sangakkara b Lakmal 4 J Tredwell c Dilshan b Senanayake 19 S Finn not out 1 Extras: (1lb, 1w) 2 Total: (all out) 202 Overs: 41.3 Fall of wickets: 1-2, 2-36, 3-50, 4-84, 5-84, 6-123, 7-169, 8-175, 9-193. Bowling: S Senanayake 8.3-0-33-3 (1w), T Dilshan 10-0-55-2, S Prasanna 8-0-40-0, S Lakmal 8-0-30-4, J Mendis 4-0-22-0, T Perera 3-0-21-0. “It was real tough day, we bowled pretty well at the start”, Cook said. On his current poor form, the beleaguered England cap- and India duo Shikhar Dhawan and stand-in skipper Virat Kohli were found guilty of breaching the ICC code of conduct and handed fines for bust-ups during the stormy first Test which ended in Adelaide yesterday. Warner and Dhawan were fined 15 and 30 per cent of their match fees respectively for their roles in an incident that took place during the second session of play on Friday, while Kohli was also fined 30 per cent of his match fee for his involvement in a separate incident shortly before the Pakistan recall Shah and Ali for one-dayers SHARJAH: Pakistan yesterday recalled leg-spinner Yasir Shah and all-rounder Awar Ali for the three remaining oneday internationals against New Zealand as they continued to sweat over skipper Misbah-ul Haq’s injury. Pakistan went down by four wickets in the second one-day in Sharjah on Friday, a game in which Misbah hurt his hamstring leaving him doubtful for the third game, also in Sharjah tonday. Fast bowlers Umar Gul (ankle) and Bilawal Bhatti (hand injury) were also sidelined and are returning home. Chief selector Moin Khan said Misbah had undergone a MRI on his injury. “Misbah has gone through an MRI scan on his hamstring injury and has been retained until his medical report comes,” said Khan. “Gul and Bhatti have been dropped owing to fitness issues, while all-rounder Ali and leg-spinner Shah have been included.” Shah took 27 wickets in the five Tests which Pakistan played – two against Australia and three against New Zealand – since October this year. The 28-year-old has played a single one-day international, against Zimbabwe in Harare in September 2011. “Despite fitness issues dogging many key players, it still remains a pretty strong side. And I am positive that it would perform to its potential in the three remaining ODI games,” said Khan. The fourth and fifth matches will be played in Abu Dhabi on Wednesday and Friday. The series is currently tied at 1-1, with Pakistan winning the first match by three wickets in Dubai. One-day squad: Misbah-ul-Haq (captain, Ahmed Shehzad, Anwar Ali, Asad Shafiq, Mohammad Hafeez, Haris Sohail, Mohammad Irfan, Nasir Jamshed, Sarfraz Ahmad, Shahid Afridi, Sohail Tanvir, Umar Akmal, Wahab Riaz, Yasir Shah, Younis Khan, Zulfiqar Babar. Misbah fined as Milne is censured n Sri Lanka’s Sangakkara, left, is congratulated by teammate Dinesh Chandimal after scoring a century against England tain said, “It is very hard. You want to score runs, I have done that before but it is not just happening” “We came here to make it three all... didn’t play well so Warner, Dhawan and Kohli ‘guilty’ DUBAI: Australia’s David Warner 39 close of play on the fourth day. Warner, who made a century in each innings, and Dhawan were both fined for their roles in events that followed after Varun Aaron’s delivery that bowled the Australian was called a no-ball after a video review. Warner, instead of walking directly back to his batting position, walked towards the bowler and made a provocative comment, said an ICC statement. After the next delivery, Dhawan came in from his fielding position and aggressively remonstrated with Warner, stopping the game in the process. Kohli, in a separate incident, stopped play to approach Australian batsman Steven Smith and remonstrate with him after an lbw appeal off the bowling of Rohit Sharma had been turned down. The three players admitted the offences and accepted the sanctions proposed by match referee Jeff Crowe. “Both captains agreed that they will take the lead and the responsibility for setting the example. In particular, to stop any unacceptable aggression of any kind towards opposing players,” said Crowe. Australia won the match by 48 runs after a gripping final day which had seen Kohli hit a majestic 141. no complaints.” Lakmal, returning to the side in place of Dhammika Prasad, dismissed Ravi Bopara and Eoin Morgan off the second and third balls of the 18th over. But Jos Buttler survived the hat-trick ball with a firm push through mid-on for a boundary. Sangakkara, playing his last international in his hometown of Kandy, bid an emotional farewell to his adoring fans as he led the team off the field. “It was great to have been brought up in Kandy. I have played cricket with many, made friends and a lot of fans,” Sangakkara added. DUBAI: Pakistan skipper Misbah-ul Haq was fined 15 per cent of his match fee for showing dissent at an umpire’s decision and Kiwi bowler Adam Milne was reprimanded for using obscene language during a oneday international in Sharjah. New Zealand won the match by four wickets on Friday to level the five-match series at 1-1 after Pakistan took the first game in Dubai. Misbah also hurt his hamstring while fielding and is now doubtful for the third match, also in Sharjah today. “Misbah was fined 15 percent of his match fee for... showing dissent at an umpire’s decision during an international match,” the International Cricket Council (ICC) said in a statement. Misbah expressed his displeasure in the 37th over after TV umpire Joel Wilson upheld on-field umpire Richard Illingworth’s decision to give him caught behind off paceman Matt Henry. Misbah made 47 in Pakistan’s total of 252 all out, which New Zealand overhauled in 46 overs. Kiwi paceman Milne received an official reprimand for violating the game’s code of conduct, the ICC said.
© Copyright 2026 Paperzz