SPORT Email: [email protected] Gulf Daily News Saturday, 6th December 2014 29 Bahrain lifters bag 30 medals in Dammam BAHRAIN team claimed 30 medals in the GCC Weightlifting Championship in Dammam. It included four gold, 14 silver and 12 bronze in different weight categories. Abdulla Yahya lifted 163kg in the snatch competition to win the gold. He also won a silver in clean and jerk. Salman Al Kindi won three golds in snatch, clean and jerk competitions junior category. Al Kindi also won three silvers in the youth section and another three bronzes in men’s category. Hamad Khalid Ayyash won two silvers and a bronze in the junior section and three bronzes in the youth category. Khalid Al Sherawi won three silvers in the youth section and three bronzes in the men’s category. Woods struggles to regain form n Bahraini weightlifters celebrate on the podium WINDERMERE, Florida: Tiger Woods fizzled out in his return to competitive golf as a slew of miscues left him in last place after the opening round of the Hero World Challenge on Thursday, well back of leader Jordan Spieth. Woods, who had not played competitive golf since the PGA Championship in August due to back troubles, struggled with all facets of his game en route to a five-over-par 77 that left him 11 shots back of rising American talent Spieth. The 21-year-old American, fresh off his victory on Sunday at the Australian Open, and a host of others showed that low scores were available in the 18-man event that Woods is hosting. “I’m excited about the start to this week,” said Spieth. “I’m excited about how last week went and kind of riding the momentum.” Woods, meanwhile, was at a loss to explain his struggles. The former world number one hit wayward drives and irons to the wrong side of the greens, flubbed chips and botched putts on his former home course, Isleworth Golf and Country Club, which he said he has played about 500 times before. n Woods looks over his scorecard as he waits to tee off on the seventh hole during the first round “It was just one of those days where there was nothing went my way,” he said. Spieth birdied the last four holes of the front nine to post a blazing five-under 31, and had two birdies and a bogey on the homeward half for six-under-par 66. He was chased by high-powered posse just one stroke behind. Tied on 67 were Sweden’s Henrik Stenson, 2007 Masters winner Zach Johnson and American’s Rickie Fowler and Steve Stricker. Another stroke back on a warm, sunny day at the exclusive enclave near Orlando, were Northern Irishman Graeme McDowell, Japan’s Hideki Matsuyama and American Jimmy Walker. By contrast, Woods made his lone birdie at the par-four 12th where he nearly holed out from the fairway. Woods was flummoxed by his performance but said he took some positives out of his first round back. “My shot patterns were fantastic. And I got my power back, my speed back. That’s a very good sign,” said Woods, who hit all seven fairways on the back nine. “I have zero pain. I haven’t said that in a long time.” Playing partner Jason Day, who shot 71, said he was surprised by Woods’s performance. “There’s a lot of pressure on him to play well,” said the Australian, who noted Woods played very well in their Monday practice. “It was surprising today to see him stumble.” Donald moves two clear at Sun City CAPE TOWN: Former world number one Luke Donald had to dodge a charging baboon before grabbing the lead at the Nedbank Challenge in South Africa yesterday. The Englishman missed the course record by one shot after sinking nine birdies to open up a two-shot advantage at Sun City’s Gary Player Country Club, but is likely to remember his round for an unwanted visitor on the 13th. As he prepared to hit an iron, a baboon stormed the fairway and headed directly for him. Donald moved away from the ball and allowed the animal to pass safely before composing himself to hit a good shot onto the green and sinking his putt for birdie. Donald had birdied six of the first nine holes as he went out in 30. He added three more on the back nine before missing a chance at the last to equal com- patriot Lee Westwood’s course record of 62, set in 2011. Donald, seeking his first European Tour win since the BMW PGA Championship in 2012, is 10 under par and leads by two from overnight leader Ross Fisher, who hit 70 in his second round. “It was a fun day, every time you have one of those rounds where you feel at ease and calm and are hitting the shots you are trying to hit, it’s great,” Donald told reporters. Frenchman Alexander Levy followed up his opening round 68 with a steady two-underpar 70 to lie in third at six under and still in the hunt for the $1.25 million first prize. Former world number one Westwood carded a two-underpar 70 on Friday and is on the same score for the championship. Defending champion Thomas Bjorn of Denmark followed his woeful eight-over 80 in the first round with a steady par 72, while world number 13 Martin Kaymer, the highest-ranked player in the 30-strong field, could only manage a 75 in his second round and is at five over par. Welsh Ryder Cup player Jamie Donaldson, who finished second at Sun City last year, withdrew from the tournament before the second round after suffering a severe migraine and dizziness yesterday morning. He had shot 74 in his first round. Ireland to host 2023 World Cup ARMAGH, Northern Ireland: Ireland will bid to host the 2023 rugby World Cup, the Irish and Northern Irish governments said yesterday, formally launching a politically symbolic proposal to win the right to hold the event on their own for the first time. Seeking to replicate the successful hosting by similarly populated New Zealand in 2011, the bid would see games played on both sides of an Irish border once beset by sectarian violence. Unlike soccer, the national team is an all-Ireland selection. “Ireland will put together a winning bid that is impossible to resist,” Prime Minister Enda Kenny told a news conference. “Irish people love our sport. We want to share the Irish sporting experience with the world.” The hosting of games north of the border would mark the latest in a series of high profile sporting events to visit Northern Ireland to help it move on from the violence that cost the lives of 3,600 people prior to a 1998 peace deal. Return This year’s Giro d’Italia race successfully began in Belfast, while it was also announced that golf’s British Open was set to return to the province for the first time in over 60 years as early as 2019. “Northern Ireland has demonstrated that whatever the event, whatever the occasion, we deliver,” said Northern Ireland First Minister Peter Robinson, who was accompanied Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness, once a leading figure in the Irish Republican Army’s (IRA) armed fight against British rule. Ireland laid out plans for the bid a year ago after winning the backing of Ireland’s Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA), meaning it can use stadiums like the 82,300-capacity Croke Park. Alongside Croke Park, there are another 10 Gaelic grounds as big or bigger than the second-largest rugby stadium in the country, Munster’s Thomond Park, although many require major renovation to stage an international tournament.
© Copyright 2026 Paperzz