10 October 22 NEWS 2011 S AT U R D AY S TA R Danger still lurks on notorious road Fear there will be more fatalities on Soweto street where five have died Imprisoned for four years – without a trial or guilty verdict MIRIAM MOKOENA NONI MOKATI HE GOVERNMENT has yet to fulfil its promise of upgrading a Soweto road on which four school pupils and a motorist have lost their lives. Last June, former MEC for Infrastructure and Development Faith Mazibuko announced that R2 million would be set aside to lay pavements, cut grass and erect steel barriers along Mdlalose Street in Protea North. Mazibuko made the announcement three months after a fatal accident involving hip hop star Molemo “Jub Jub” Maarohanye and his friend Themba Tshabalala. In March 2010, the two were allegedly racing down the street when they lost control of their cars and ploughed into Andile Mthombeni, Prince Mohube, Mlungisi Cwayi and Phomello Masemola, killing them instantly. Fumani Mushwana and Frank Mlambo were seriously injured. The two face charges of murder, attempted murder and driving under the influence of alcohol and drugs. Last month, Moroka police station officer Sibusiso Mbango also died after his vehicle collided with a police van on the road. The driver of the van was charged with culpable homicide. Despite these accidents, little has been done to caution motorists about speeding on the deadly road. “I’m anxious to see that place fixed. We have many learners from Protea Glen walking along the narrow pavement. We’ve been raising this issue through various channels T and have also raised it with the Johannesburg Roads Agency managing director,” said ward councillor Walter Mahlatsi. Mahlatsi said soon after Maarohanye and Tshabalala’s crash, residents had cut the long grass and trimmed the trees along the road themselves to help prevent crashes and robberies from happening. “Putting up flashing lights is not enough. Serious intervention is needed on Mdlalose,” he said. Community members Mduduzi Malaza and Themba Makhudu said they feared walking along the road. “It’s not safe any more. Since the accident, I’m scared of walking here. Motorists treat this route as if it’s a race track,” Makhudu said. He said a speed limit and other traffic measures had to be put in place before more people were killed. Qodeni Mahlinza said she was cautious when walking along the overgrown pavements along the road as robberies were rife in the area. Testifying in Maarohanye and Tshabalala’s murder trial recently, accident reconstruction expert Renier Balt alluded to the dangers and said Mdlalose Street was in a good condition but that there were no visible speed signs where the accused crashed into the children. Joburg metro police spokeswoman Edna Mamonyane said the department had not received any complaints about speeding along the road or suggestions about deploying traffic officers in the area. Infrastructure and Development spokesman Philemon Motshwaedi said the matter had been referred to the Depart- A YEAR DOWN THE LINE: The Government has not attended to safety issues on the Protea North Bridge in Soweto where musician Jub Jub had a car accident that claimed four pupils. PICTURE: ZIPHOZONKE LUSHABA ment of Roads and Transport. National chairman of the Justice Project SA Howard Dembovsky has in the meantime described the delay in upgrading the road as “a case of fiddling while Rome burns”. “Any type of road safety strategy has got to include education, engineering, enforcement and evaluation or else things will fail. “Furthermore, JMPD likes to pretend that the applications for mobile speed camera authorisation are based on the instance of crashes and fatalities on such roads. Why is it that the JMPD, or other law enforcement agencies, have not sent applications to the National Director of Public Prosecutions for speed trapping exercises on the road? “If this is done, it will put to bed the argument that speed cameras save lives because they don’t,” Dembovsky said. He said it was sad that government and the some members of the public seemed to have turned a blind eye to road fatalities. “When the accident occurred, we asked people to assist us in putting up speed bumps but received little response. If they (traffic authorities) know that four children were killed, why are they not deploying their traffic officers in Mdlalose? If Chris Ngcobo and his colleagues have not told their people to conduct road blocks on site, then it means they have failed in their mandate,” he said. Contacted for comment, the Department of Roads and Transport, including the Johannesburg Roads Agency, failed to reveal whether the project was going ahead as announced by Mazibuko and whether money was still available to upgrade the road. THE LAGGING criminal justice system, especially when it comes to detainees awaiting trial, is having a devastating effect on a Soweto family since their brother’s arrest four years ago. Mandla Motsitsi** has been held at Johannesburg Prison awaiting trial since 2007. The main cause of the delays in Mandla’s case, his sister Boitshepho said, was due to missing transcripts and the court having to wait for new evidence. On one occasion, the case was postponed because there was no water at the court building, and on another the family had to find a lawyer that charged less than the one they were using. During this time Mandla, 31, was waiting in prison, despite the fact that he had not been found guilty. He was arrested and charged with robbery with aggravating circumstances for allegedly robbing a cellphone shop at a Joburg mall. His sister said police claimed that they found the keys of a getaway car in his jacket. Mandla denied this. They arrested Mandla and his co-accused near the mall. They later arrested the owner of the car that was driven by Mandla and the co-accused. The owner of the car is out on bail but Mandla and the other co-accused have not been so lucky. Mandla’s lawyer, Leonard Cibi, said the victim claimed that Mandla’s co-accused was carrying a gun during the robbery. The four years’ wait has taken its toll on the family and they have lost faith in the justice system. The high legal fees have plunged them into debt. The family pay between R4 500 and R5 000 for each court appearance. They tried using the services of Legal Aid South Africa(LASA) but were not satisfied with LASA’s lawyers. Mandla’s family rely on a small business for income. Boitshepho said she has been blacklisted because she can’t pay her accounts on top of all the legal fees. “I owe people thousands of rands and I still need some more money to pay lawyers.” Mandla is due to appear in court in December and the family is expected to raise R6 000 for a bail application. Cibi believed there was a good chance that bail would be granted because of the long period Mandla has spent in prison awaiting trial. Mandla’s mother died last year from a heart attack brought on by all the stress. He was not allowed to attend the funeral and his sister said he blamed himself for her death. Mandla did not receive any counselling because awaiting trial prisoners generally do not have such benefits. When he gets sick, it’s up to the family to provide the medication, Boitshepho said. This is despite the Department of Correction Services’ assurance that it does provide proper health care to inmates. l The Correctional Services Amendment Act states that awaiting trial inmates must not be in prison for more than two years. If that does happen, the case must be referred back to court for review. **Not his real first name. l Miriam Mokoena works at the Wits Justice Project which investigates alleged miscarriages of justices. The view that the dead in this country can wait for justice is not just illegal but unethical CAROLYN RAPHAELY FIVE years ago today, Emmasdal High School boy Leon Booysen, 14, allegedly hanged himself in the Heidelberg police cells where he had been held for the weekend on charges of house-breaking. But after repeated postponements, the teenager’s inquest has been postponed yet again. His family still do not know if anyone can be held responsible for his death, or if he indeed took his own life. And if he did commit suicide, why? Sylvia Minies, the boy’s aunt who brought Leon up as her own, expected magistrate Dawid de Bruin to deliver his findings in August, but the matter was postponed to October 12 and now to December 1. The delays in the protracted proceedings in Leon’s case are apparently not unusual. The sad truth, as one lawyer put it, is that “when someone has died, no one is in a rush! If it was a rape, the case would be treated differently. When a person is dead, an inquest will never get priority over a rape case, for example. There’s no particular pressure in an inquest. No one has to be tried, no one is waiting in prison.” “I’m starting to lose my senses and getting angrier and angrier,” Minies said. “These delays are disgraceful and unacceptable. I don’t believe he hanged himself – he wasn’t that kind of child – and we really need to know what happened.” Ever since State pathologist Johannes Steenkamp, who conducted the post mortem on the boy’s body at the Germiston mortuary, told the court that the cause of death was consistent with hanging but that he could not rule out the possibility of suffocation, Minies has been waiting anxiously to hear whether De Bruin will open a murder docket. Initially, the autopsy report could not be completed because the state pathologist was waiting for a toxicology report. This took three- and-a-half years because of six to 10-year backlogs in the state toxicology labs. The inquest hearing finally got off the ground last November and has since been beset by postponements, resulting from incomplete typed transcripts of court records and the unavailability of court dates. “The truth is cases like this often take longer. This is actually rela- tively good timing,” said one person close to the case. Noted Wits law professor Bonita Meyersfeld: “Both in terms of international and SA law, the State has a duty to protect life and an obligation to ensure that a person held in custody doesn’t hang himself. ‘‘All obligations become more acute in the case of a minor… If someone dies in custody, you’re obliged to investigate and the process has to be expeditious and fast. Indefinite delays would be in breach of both international and constitutional obligations. For an inquest not to have been concluded five years after a child’s death is incontrovertibly an undue delay. As well as being unlawful, it is both morally unacceptable and in violation of the law.” l Carolyn Raphaely is a member of the Wits Justice Project which investigates alleged miscarriages of justice.
© Copyright 2026 Paperzz