0ARAB TIMES, MONDAY, APRIL 24, 2017 INTERNATIONAL 15 Philippines 50 times more brutal: Duterte Abu Sayyaf behead kidnapped ‘soldier’ MANILA, April 23, (Agencies): A Filipino soldier kidnapped last week in the southern Philippines by Abu Sayyaf militants was found beheaded, the military said on Sunday, hours after government troops killed three more members of the Islamic State-linked group in a clash elsewhere. The head of Sergeant Anni Siraji of the Army’s 32nd Infantry Battalion was found 50 metres away from his body in Patikul town in Sulu, Brigadier General Cirilito Sobejana, commander of the Joint Task Force Sulu, said. Sobejana said Siraji was probably abducted and executed because of his involvement in peace initiatives in Sulu. “He is involved in peace efforts. He is not actually a combatant. We are using him to engage stakeholders because he is a Tausog (like most Abu Sayyaf militants),” he said. Earlier on Sunday, the military said government troops had killed three more Abu Sayyaf militants on the resort island of Bohol where they were hiding after a failed attempt to kidnap tourists. The military was pursuing two or three more militants still at large in Bohol, a long way to the north of their strongholds in the far south of the predominately Christian country. “We have reports indicating that they were also wounded and running out of supplies,” Colonel Edgard Arevalo, chief of the military’s public affairs office, said. A group of about 10 militants infiltrated Bohol this month. Western countries have issued travel warnings about visiting the island. Six of them were killed in a clash on April 11 and one last week. Among those killed was their leader, who had been involved in the kidnap and execution of Canadian and German nationals in recent months, the Philippine military has said. The military has been struggling to wipe out Abu Sayyaf, which originally had Muslim separatist aims but now engages mostly in banditry and piracy. The group has been holding more than two dozen captives, most of them Vietnamese sailors, who are easy prey for militants equipped with small, fast boats. Meanwhile, Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte warned Sunday that he could be “50 times” more brutal than Muslim militants who stage beheadings and said he could even “eat” the extremists if they’re captured alive by troops. Duterte has repeatedly threatened drug suspects with death, but he raised his shock rhetoric to a new level as president when he said in a speech during the opening of a national sports tournament what he could do to terrorists who have staged beheadings and other gruesome attacks. Duterte ordered troops to kill fleeing Muslim militants behind a foiled attack in the central resort province of Bohol and not bring them to him alive, calling the extremists “animals.” Terrorist “If you want me to be an animal, I’m also used to that. We’re just the same,” Duterte said. “I can dish out, go down what you can 50 times over.” The foul-mouthed president said that if a terrorist was presented to him when he’s in a foul mood, “give me salt and vinegar and I’ll eat his liver.” The crowd broke into laughter, but Duterte cut in, “It’s true, if you make me angry.” Duterte, a longtime city mayor who built an image as a deadly crime-buster, won the presidency in May last year on a promise to battle illegal drugs, corruption and terrorism. Thousands have died under his anti-drug crackdown, which has alarmed Western governments and human rights groups. He has warned he may place the southern Philippines, scene of a decades-long Muslim separatist rebellion, under martial rule if terrorism threats spin out of control. He recently offered a reward for information leading to the capture of Abu Sayyaf and other militants behind a foiled attack in the central province of Bohol. Eight militants, three soldiers, a policeman and two villagers have died in clashes in Bohol, which lies far from the southern jungle bases of the militants. ❑ ❑ ❑ If the Filipinos on the remote South China Sea island of Thitu had binoculars, they might just be envious of how their neighbours on the next island live. Just 15 miles (24 km) across the shimmering sea from this rundown outpost of the Philippines lies a different world shown by an unbroken line of new, fourstorey white buildings. Radar towers and a lighthouse complete Subi Reef, a mini city China has raised from the sea at an astonishing pace since 2013. Subi symbolises China’s increasingly assertive claim to most of the South China Sea, a claim it reinforces in building manmade islands from dredged sand and equipping them with runways, hangars and surface-to-air-missiles. For the 37 Filipino families who call Thitu their home, however, life is basic with just a few buildings, no television or internet, and no shops or street-side eateries. There isn’t even a street, just a dirt track used by the island’s one vehicle - a small truck. At only 37 hectares (0.37 sq km) the coral-fringed Thitu, known to Filipinos as Pagasa, is the biggest of the eight reefs, shoals and islands the Philippines occupies in the Spratly archipelago, 280 miles away from the mainland. But Thitu’s inhabitants have a strategic purpose preserving a Philippine claim of sovereignty in the face of a resurgent China. According to the Asia Maritime Transparency Initiative, China will soon be capable of deploying fighter jets on three reefs, including Subi. By comparison, Thitu’s military muscle is a few dozen rotating troops with small arms, and a dirt runway through a patch of grass. Jenny May Ray, 24, has taught for one year at the island’s school. She says Thitu’s residents are heroes. “We should be thankful for their sacrifices for staying on an island far away from civilisation, away from their loved ones and families and I hope some day, something can be written about them in our history,” she said. “Pagasa will see progress one day and they will not be forgotten because they have a big role in protecting the island.” But the islanders want more in return. Ray said the school needed improvements, the childrens’ diets are poor, and they are short on books. In this April 22, photo, boys and girls dressed in Japan’s traditional warriors’ costumes participate in a human shogi, a Japanese strategy board game similar to chess, as the main event of the annual cherry blossoms festival in the northern Japanese city of Tendo in Yamagata Prefecture. Local high school students wearing armors, headbands and helmets played the roles of the 40 pieces of shogi in games between professional players on the summit of Mount Maizuru at Tendo Park where about 2,000 cherry trees reached full bloom. (AP) North Korea Australia, NZ hit back at NKorea threat China urges Korea denuclearisation In this March 15, 2017, file photo, US Navy aircraft carrier, the USS Carl Vinson, approaches Busan port in Busan, South Korea, to participate in an annual joint military exercise called Foal Eagle between South Korea and the United States. The American aircraft carrier heading toward the Korean peninsula is conducting a joint exercise with Japanese naval ships in the Philippine Sea. (AP) Asia N. Korea detains US citizen: A US citizen has been arrested as he tried to fly out of North Korea, becoming the third American to be detained there, South Korea’s Yonhap news agency reported Sunday. There was no immediate official confirmation of the reported arrest, which would come at a tense time in relations between Pyongyang and Washington. Yonhap quoted sources as saying the man, identified only by his surname Kim, was arrested last Friday at Pyongyang International Airport on his way out of the country. It said Kim, aged in his late 50s and a former professor at China’s Yanbian University of Science and Technology, had been involved in aid programmes for the North. He reportedly was in the North for about a month to discuss relief activities, Yonhap said. The reason for his arrest was unclear. South Korea’s National Intelligence Service and the unification and foreign ministries said they could not confirm the report. But the director of a Seoul-based group called the World North Korea Research Center said his sources in Pyongyang had confirmed the arrest. (AFP) ❑ ❑ ❑ S. Korea outrage over comment: Buffeted by the currents of diplomacy, South Korea is sometimes described as a “shrimp between two whales”, and US president Donald Trump has touched nerves with remarks that the peninsula “used to be part of China”. The comments came after Trump hosted Chinese President Xi Jinping at his Mar-aLago retreat in Florida. As the pair discussed ways to curb North Korea’s nuclear ambitions amid mounting tensions, Trump told the Wall Street Journal, Xi “went into the history of China and Korea. “And you know, you’re talking about thousands of years... and many wars. And Korea actually used to be a part of China,” Trump went on. Beijing is Pyongyang’s sole major ally and Washington wants it to do more about the North’s nuclear and missile programmes, while the US has a security alliance with Seoul and stations more than 28,000 troops in South to defend it. (AFP) ❑ ❑ ATHENS, April 23, (AFP): China’s foreign minister called Sunday for the complete denuclearisation of the Korean peninsula amid rising tension over North Korea’s missile and nuclear programmes. “China is firmly supporting the denuclearisation of the area in the name of stability and peace”, Wang Yi told reporters in Athens after meeting Greek counterpart Nikos Kotzias. “China may not have the key to this solution ... but we are happy that more sides are accepting our point of view”, he added. US President Donald Trump has urged China to take stronger steps to press the North to curb its nuclear and missile programmes. During a regional tour last week, Vice-President Mike Pence warned that “all options are on the table” to curb the North’s nuclear ambitions, as fears grow it may be planning another atomic test. Pyongyang has ramped up its rhetoric in recent weeks, threatening to hit back against any provocation. It has also renewed threats against regional US allies, including Japan and South Korea, which both host large American military contingents. Even Australia has received a warning from Pyongyang. “If Australia persists in following the US’s moves to isolate and stifle North Korea ... this will be a suicidal act,” a North Korean foreign ministry spokesman said after Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop called the nation a “serious threat”. On Sunday, South Korea’s Yonhap news agency reported that a US citizen had been arrested as he tried to fly out of North Korea, becoming the third American to be detained there. “It is important for them to hold a US citizen hostage at this point to prevent Washington from carrying out a decapitation of Kim Jong-Un,” Ahn Chan-il, a former defector, told AFP, referring to the North’s fears that the US plans a secret military strike to topple its leader. “It’s also a resolve to point a double-action revolver against the US and China because he is a US citizen who worked in China.” Also: SYDNEY: Australia and New Zealand stiffened their rhetoric against North Korea Sunday after the isolated state threatened Canberra with a nuclear strike, urging it to think twice before “blindly and zealously toeing the US line”. North Korea says ready to strike US aircraft carrier SEOUL, April 23, (Agencies): North Korea said on Sunday it was ready to sink a US aircraft carrier to demonstrate its military might, as two Japanese navy ships joined a US carrier group for exercises in the western Pacific. US President Donald Trump ordered the USS Carl Vinson carrier strike group to sail to waters off the Korean peninsula in response to rising tension over the North’s nuclear and missile tests, and its threats to attack the United States and its Asian allies. The United States has not specified where the carrier strike group is as it approaches the area. US Vice President Mike Pence said on Saturday it would arrive “within days” but gave no other details. North Korea remained defiant. “Our revolutionary forces are combat-ready to sink a US nuclear powered aircraft carrier with a single strike,” the Rodong Sinmun, the newspaper of the North’s ruling Workers’ Party, said in a commentary. The paper likened the aircraft carrier to a “gross animal” and said a strike on it would be “an actual example to show our military’s force”. The commentary was carried on page three of the newspaper, after a two-page feature about leader Kim Jong Un inspecting a pig farm. North Korea will mark the 85th anniversary of the foundation of its Korean People’s Army on Tuesday. It has in the past marked important anniversaries with tests of its weapons. Meanwhile, the US aircraft carrier Carl Vinson and other warships started joint exercises with Japan on Sunday, the American navy said, as regional tensions rise over North Korea’s missile and nuclear programmes. The exercises -- also involving a US guided-missile cruiser and guidedmissile destroyer -- are being held in the Philippine Sea, the navy said, as the naval strike group “continued its northern transit in the Western Pacific”. Confusion has clouded the carrier group’s whereabouts in recent days after President Donald Trump suggested the “armada” was steaming towards North Korea when in fact it was sent towards Australia. On Saturday US Vice President Mike Pence said in Sydney the strike group would arrive in the Sea of Japan (East Sea) “in a matter of days”. Pence has vowed an “overwhelming and effective” response to any North Korean attack as fears grow it may be preparing for another nuclear test. Pyongyang reacted defiantly. State newspaper Minju Joson quoted what it called military sources as saying Washington plans to station “several nuclear carrier task forces” off the Korean peninsula this week. “The army of the DPRK (North Korea) already declared it will deal merciless destructive blows at the enemies so that they would not come back to life again should they make reckless provocation,” the paper said. The move comes as US Vice-President Mike Pence wraps up an Asia tour, which has included visits to South Korea, Japan and Australia partly to reassure allies amid fears that Pyongyang may be readying for a sixth nuclear test. “If Australia persists in following the US’ moves to isolate and stifle North Korea ... this will be a suicidal act,” a North Korean foreign ministry spokesman said after Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop called the hermit state a “serious threat”. The spokesman, speaking to the North’s official KCNA news agency, warned Bishop to “think twice about the consequences”. Australia’s close ally New Zealand has since accused North Korea of having “evil intent”. Defence Minister Gerry Brownlee told Television New Zealand Sunday people knew little about Kim JongUn’s regime but “you would assume that underneath him there is a very big machinery of people who have equally evil intent”. “It’s North Korea that is sending the missiles into the Sea of Japan and making the various outrageous threats including the threats overnight to Australia,” he added. ❑ Lawyer denied own defence: Prominent Chinese lawyer Xie Yang will not be allowed to pick his defence at his upcoming trial, his former attorney said, in a move rights groups called a breach of international standards. Xie, who has worked on numerous cases considered politically sensitive by the ruling Communist party including defending Hong Kong pro-democracy activists, has been detained since July 2015. He has claimed police have used “sleep deprivation, long interrogations, beatings, death threats, humiliations” on him while in custody, and the EU has voiced concern over his case. “The court has designated a defence lawyer,” Xie’s former lawyer Chen Jiangang told AFP. “Everything has been done according to the will of the judiciary — not the interests of Xie and his family,” Chen said. (AFP) ❑ ❑ ❑ Pyongyang drivers scramble: Xi Trump Car users in Pyongyang are scrambling to fill up their tanks as gas stations begin limiting services or even closing amid concerns of a spreading shortage. A sign outside one station in the North Korean capital said Friday that sales were being restricted to diplomats or vehicles used by international organizations, while others were closed or turning away local residents. Lines at other stations were much longer than usual and prices appeared to be rising significantly. (AP)
© Copyright 2026 Paperzz