Terror teen Abdul Numan Haider in contact with ISIS Aussies as he

Terror teen Abdul Numan Haider in
contact with ISIS Aussies as he tracked
Tony Abbott

SIMON BENSON NATIONAL POLITICAL EDITOR

THE DAILY TELEGRAPH

SEPTEMBER 25, 2014 7:10AM
Prime Minister Tony Abbott addresses shooting
THE 18-year-old Islamic terrorist shot dead by police after
his frenzied knife attack on two counter- terrorism officers
had recently contacted jihadists in Iraq and Syria,
prompting authorities to cancel his passport last week.
The Daily Telegraph can confirm Abdul Numan Haider had been picked up
in the intelligence sweep of “chatter” about potential threats to Parliament
House, and he had been following the movements of government officials
online, including PM Tony Abbott.
Numan Haider / Pictures: Facebook
The shocking revelations came as Defence Force families were told to be
on high alert following an incident in Western Sydney in which two men of
Middle Eastern appearance approached the house of a serving soldier and
asked if any defence personnel lived there.
The wife of the soldier is believed to have told the men “no” and they left.
Also yesterday NSW Police issued a memo to all officers warning them to
remain “vigilant” following the Melbourne attack.
Queensland Police announced new safety measures to protect officers,
including plans to allow some police to take their guns home. Extra security
was also being planned for vulnerable officers at police stations.
Slain terrorist Numan Ahmed Haider / Picture: Supplied
Assistant Defence Minister Stuart Robert yesterday told parliament that
Australian Defence Force families had been told to be on alert for
suspicious behaviour.
“I want to reassure Defence members and their families of the
government’s commitment to their safety,” he told parliament.
People seen walking into Haider’s Endeavour Hills’ home yesterday.
While Haider is believed to have not made any specific threats against the
PM, it was confirmed the teen’s “concerning” activities had been part of the
broader intelligence brief about threats to Parliament House and senior
government officials first revealed last week by The Daily Telegraph.
Australian Federal Police acting commissioner Andrew Colvin was insistent
that there were no “specific” threats against the PM.
However, he said the teen’s behaviour of last week had heightened their
concern.
“It’s true to say late last week we learned of some behaviours that were
causing us significant concern and our interest was greatly heightened and
in response to that there was a request made for the deceased to come
and have a chat to the JCTT people and what we saw last night was a
result of that request,” he said.
Mr Abbott, who was told of the attack as he boarded his plane to New York
to meet with US President Barack Obama and address the UN General
Assembly, confirmed he had called the wives of the two officers when he
landed in Honolulu for a refuelling stop.
Forensic police outside Endeavour Hills police station. Picture: Getty
“I have spoken to the wives of both of the officers concerned to assure
them of the Government’s support and of the Government’s respect for the
professionalism with which the police seem to have acted here,” the PM
said.
“Obviously, this indicates that there are people in our community who are
capable of very extreme acts. It also indicates that the police will be
constantly vigilant to protect us against people who would do us harm.”
Opposition leader Bill Shorten also spoke to the wives.
Acting Commissioner Colvin confirmed that Haider had been spoken to
previously after he was seen flying an Islamic State flag at a Dandenong
shopping centre.
The attack was yesterday labelled an act of terrorism by the chairman of
the Parliamentary Joint Committee on Intelligence and Security, Dan
Tehan.
A bomb squad member is suited up before inspecting Endeavour Hills police station
Tuesday night / Picture: Mike Keating
Senior Australian Federal Police sources told The Daily Telegraph they had
no evidence he had been planning to behead the two police officers in a
car park of the Endeavour Hills police station in Melbourne’s eastern
suburbs.
Meanwhile, NSW Police issued a memo to all officers on Tuesday night
asking them to remain “vigilant” after the Victorian incident.
“The NSW Police Commissioner has advised all members to exercise
extreme caution, stay vigilant, alert and safe,” a police spokesman said.
Praise for police as terror tensions rise
It comes as Queensland Police announced a raft of safety measures to
protect officers, including plans to allow some officers to take firearms
home from work.
Queensland Police Commissioner Ian Stewart said: “If the risk is there,
we’ll be very sympathetic to requests.”
Victorian police were on alert for revenge attacks, as a witness said
another man in Islamic dress was near the police station.
Sources also said that Haider had earlier tried to lure the police to other
locations, including a Hungry Jacks.