St. Albans Methodist Church Centenary by Sir EHAndrews Wesley

St. Albans Methodist Church Centenary by Sir E.H.Andrews
St. Albans Methodist Church and Sunday School
Wesley Historical Society (NZ) Publication #11(2&3) 1953
Page 1
St. Albans Methodist Church Centenary by Sir E.H.Andrews
FOREWORD
In compiling this history of the St. Albans Methodist Church, it was enjoined upon me
that it must be confined to some thirty-six to forty pages. In this respect I find my
greatest difficulty for there is such a wealth of interesting material available, incidents
serious and amusing, that must be omitted in order to record historical facts, and these
too in abridged form, much as one would like to enlarge upon them.
The matter for this brochure has been obtained mainly from authentic records
preserved by the Church and the Methodist Connexional Office. For the latter I am
indebted to the 'Story of the St. Albans Methodist Church', compiled by the late Rev.
M. A. Rugby Pratt, F.R.H.S., former Connexional Secretary, on the occasion of its
ninetieth anniversary, and especially to Mrs. Vernon Bedwell, grand-daughter of that
fine pioneer, Mr. Isaac Philpott. Mrs. Bedwell provided much of the material for Mr.
Pratt's story and for this brochure, with numerous reminiscences from the store-house
of her wonderful memory, for she has been connected with the Church continuously
since her christening in the old Church over eighty years ago. There are many othersministers, laymen and descendants of pioneers-one would like to acknowledge, but
even if space permitted, the names are so numerous that I must ask them to accept our
tribute en bloc.
One would not omit a reference to the hundreds of faithful souls, who have passed to
higher service, whose names do not appear in official records, but which in faith we
believe, are written in the 'Book of Life'.
Ernest H. Andrews
Sir Ernest Andrews, the author of this brochure, is a highly respected citizen of
Christchurch, having served with distinction over a period of more than thirty years, first
as a member of the City Council and later as Mayor. He has also occupied many other
positions in public life.
As a trustee of St. Albans Methodist Church his experience and advice have at all times
been of inestimable value in the administration of Church affairs.
Wesley Historical Society (NZ) Publication #11(2&3) 1953
Page 2
St. Albans Methodist Church Centenary by Sir E.H.Andrews
St Albans Methodist Church 1853-1953
In a statement made recently by the Anglican Dean of Christchurch, he said that the
Canterbury pioneers of the first four ships were not sent out officially by the Church
of England to found an exclusive Anglican Community, though the scheme had the
approval of many Bishops, Vicars and Officials, but rather they were a body of
Anglicans collected together to form an Anglican Settlement.
True, they were supposed to be members of the Church of England, but it was soon
found that amongst them were a number of sturdy Wesleyan Methodists. An
explanation of their presence amongst the Pilgrims was given by one of them. He said
that the Methodists were often a source of worry to the vicars of small parishes in
England, who saw in the proposed expedition an opportunity for transplanting these
troublous ones overseas. Most of these Methodists were certified by the vicars as
Church members, and so they were; for they had been christened and confirmed in the
Church, though some of their methods were not approved by the vicars.
The ships had not been long at sea before it was found that these people were holding
prayer meetings and singing hymns. In some cases other passengers protested and
threatened dire penalties. One captain even went so far as to say he would put back the
ship and land them. Be that as it may, it is on record that the Wesleyan , pilgrims held
a service at Gravesend just before the ships sailed, and that Isaac Philpott conducted a
service in the immigration barracks at Lyttelton, immediately on arrival.
Mr. Isaac Philpott
Mr and Mrs John Quaife
Many of the immigrants settled temporarily in V huts, tents and whares in Hagley
Park, and amongst them were the pioneers of St. Albans Methodism—Isaac Philpott,
Wesley Historical Society (NZ) Publication #11(2&3) 1953
Page 3
St. Albans Methodist Church Centenary by Sir E.H.Andrews
Joseph Pattrick, John Quaife and their families; also a young single man, John
Broughton.
Mr John Broughton
Mrs. Quaife opened the first Sunday School of any denomination in her whare in
Hagley Park and was assisted by her husband and Mr. Pattrick in the work. A
memorial pillar bearing a plaque to mark the site was officially unveiled during the
Canterbury Centennial Celebrations.
In October 1851 the Rev. James Watkin, then stationed in Wellington in charge of
Maori Missions, visited Christchurch. He conducted Divine Service at Lyttelton and
other centres, and preached in Mr. Philpott's whare in Hagley Park. This whare or hut
had been built with timber from Riccarton Bush, cut, trimmed, and conveyed by the
personal efforts of himself and his son.
During his visit the Rev. Watkin baptized fifty-five Maori converts, the results of
missions established and conducted by Native Teachers at Port Levy and other Maori
pas. He also baptized two half-caste Maoris and seven European children at Lyttelton,
and four children of Mr. and Mrs. Ebenezer Hay at Pigeon Bay.
By the end of 1851 most of the Hagley Park settlers had removed to their allocated
holdings—the Quaifes to Papanui, where they conducted a Sunday School until their
settlement on their holding in St. Albans in 1853. The Philpotts, Pattricks, John
Broughton, and other Methodists had already settled in St. Albans. These included Mr.
Henry Flavell who had arrived with his family in 1851. He was a Primitive Methodist
Local Preacher, and he established the first class meeting in Mr. Philpott's house and
continued its leader for some years. Early members of the class included Messrs.
Wesley Historical Society (NZ) Publication #11(2&3) 1953
Page 4
St. Albans Methodist Church Centenary by Sir E.H.Andrews
Joseph Pattrick, Isaac Philpott, John Quaife, Samuel Bradley, with their wives, and a
little later Messrs. Grisbrook, Griffiths and Lewis.
The Philpott house was situated on what is now English Park, and the Pattricks' on the
present St. Albans School grounds. Religious intolerance was not absent in those days:
Mrs. Quaife was threatened with citation before the Church Courts for her action in
founding a Sunday School, and she and her husband were offered situations on
condition that they renounced Methodism, and attached themselves to the Church of
England. One clergyman instituted a boycott, but neither threats nor bribes availed
with these determined and faithful souls.
Of course the purpose was to make Christchurch a purely Anglican community, but
this was an impossible ideal; for new settlers were constantly arriving from England,
Scotland, Ireland and Australia. What a difference pertains today, with the ecumenical
spirit ever growing in strength amongst the various Protestant Churches.
In March 1853, the Rev. William Kirk, who had been appointed to Otago, was
travelling on a ship to his new sphere of labour, when it was compelled to put into
Port Lyttelton for repairs. As soon as the little group of St. Albans Methodists heard
this, they journeyed to Lyttelton and brought him over the Bridle Path, on foot of
course, and he held the first service in St. Albans in the kitchen of the house of Mr.
Pattrick, situated as already stated on the site of the present St. Albans public school.
The women had made a path through the swamp with a rough foundation of tussocks
and nigger-heads, and along this path Mr. Kirk was conducted, supported on either
side by Messrs. Pattrick and Quaife.
Rev. William Kirk
Wesley Historical Society (NZ) Publication #11(2&3) 1953
Page 5
St. Albans Methodist Church Centenary by Sir E.H.Andrews
The group of enthusiastic St. Albans Wesleyans were really the founders of the
Church in Christchurch. The Maori Missions in Canterbury were under the
supervision of Rev. James Watkin of Wellington, having been transferred there from
Waikouaiti in 1851. These pioneers—Quaifes, Philpotts, Pattricks, Bradleys,
Cresswells, Guilfords, Flavells and others—appealed to the Rev. Watkin to appoint
the Rev. Kirk to minister to the Christchurch district. This was agreed to, and until
January 1854 he preached on alternate Sundays, morning in Christchurch and, after a
tramp over the Bridle Path, evening in Lyttelton; but he was in delicate health and was
unable to continue.
Mr. Joseph Pattrick
In March 1853 the Rev. John Aldred was appointed minister to the Christchurch
Methodists, but he did not take up his appointment until 1854. He built a house in
Aldred Street, which was named after him. (Unfortunately the name has recently been
changed to Beveridge Street, by a Local Body and Post Office Committee, that
evidently had no knowledge of its historical association.) In 1852 services had been
held in the home of Mr. T. Lewis, in Cashel Street, near the present Bridge of
Remembrance.
Wesley Historical Society (NZ) Publication #11(2&3) 1953
Page 6
St. Albans Methodist Church Centenary by Sir E.H.Andrews
The congregations were rapidly increasing in numbers, for they were attended by
members of other non-episcopal churches who had as yet no established spiritual
home of their own, so a move was made to the carpenters' workshop of Mr. John
Ferguson, a Presbyterian. This was situated on the site of the present Chamber of
Commerce building in Oxford Terrace, near Worcester Street bridge, and then Mr.
Henry Flavell, who as already stated was a local preacher of the Primitive Methodist
Church in England, became the regular preacher until Mr. Kirk arrived in 1852,
although he continued as a much valued local preacher. When the little band of St.
Albans worshippers went to church in Christchurch, they had to wade through the
mud and water of a flax swamp and when they got to firmer ground near Holly and
Papanui Roads, the women usually changed their sodden shoes and donned dry ones
until they returned, when they again put on their wet and muddy ones, which they had
hidden in the flax bushes. Sometimes a bullock dray was available and the women sat
on straw on the floor of the cart. On one occasion as the cart lurched over the holes
and uneven surface of the track» the women, straw as well, were tipped out of the
back on to the muddy ground unbeknown to the driver who was walking beside his
bullock. He had proceeded on his way when it struck him that the women had stopped
talking, then he realised that something was wrong, and the reason was apparent. This
will give an idea of the determination of these fervent people, who would go through
mud and water, and no doubt fire, too, if need be, rather than fail in the public worship
of their Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.
Prayer and class meetings continued regularly in Mr. Pattrick's kitchen until
transferred to the larger house of Mr. Guilford near the site of the present church at
Rugby Street. A young man of twenty-one years of age, John Broughton, had pitched
his tent in Hagley Park near the Pattrick and Philpott whares. Apparently he had led an
unsettled life, had been a wanderer, a soldier, and a college man, and had some legal
training. He came under the influence of his good neighbours, was converted, and
exercised a wonderful influence in the Church at St. Albans until his death in 1899, at
the age of sixty-eight years. Further reference will be made to this stalwart later on in
this story, but in 1853 he presented a section of land in High Street—occupied later by
Peterson's jewellery business, and today by Woolworth's emporium. On this site was
erected a church, the first church building in Christchurch. It seated two hundred
people, and a Sunday School was also started, with four teachers and some twenty
children. It was then the largest building in Christchurch and with its spire the most
conspicuous. It was opened on April 16, 1854. It was in this Church, at the invitation
of the officials that the pioneer Presbyterian minister, the Rev. Fraser, often preached
pending the erection of St. Andrews Church. The St. Albans people continued to
travel through their swamps to attend this Christchurch church.
Innate in the hearts of the St. Albans folk was the desire for a church in their own
neighbourhood, and a report early in 1854 records that Mr. Samuel Bradley had
Wesley Historical Society (NZ) Publication #11(2&3) 1953
Page 7
St. Albans Methodist Church Centenary by Sir E.H.Andrews
already presented a quarter-acre section in St. Albans Lane, opposite Somme Street
(previously Coopers Lane), where the Brethren Hall now stands. The intention was to
build a sod Sunday School building on this site, but for some reason that building did
not eventuate. However in 1859 a church building twenty feet by sixteen feet, the first
church building in St. Albans, was erected on the site by Mr. Edward Salter, who had
arrived from England the previous year.
EARLY CHRISTCHURCH AND THE HIGH STREET CHURCH
A view of Christchurch from Oxford Terrace and Gloucester Street Bridge. Cathedral Square is
vacant and fenced. The Church is the Wesleyan Church in High Street, nearly opposite the Triangle,
on the site now partly occupied by Woolworth's emporium. Colombo Street runs straight down the
centre of the picture.
The first church in St Albans Lane opposite Somme Street, originally Coopers Lane
Wesley Historical Society (NZ) Publication #11(2&3) 1953
Page 8
St. Albans Methodist Church Centenary by Sir E.H.Andrews
A vigorous Sunday School was in operation there in the same year, so that the St.
Albans Methodist Sunday School dates its official origin from the year 1859, though
school had been held in private houses prior to this date.
The first trustees of the Church were Samuel Bradley, Thomas Free, George Gould,
John Guilford, Thomas I. Fisher, Henry Wyatt, David Lewis, Joseph Pattrick, William
Reese, Isaac Philpott, John Rutland and John Quaife—all names of honoured citizens
of the day, with many descendants still living in the city and throughout the
Dominion.
The cause expanded rapidly, and in 1868 an adjoining piece of land of thirty-one
perches was bought from Mr. Lewis for £26, and on this an addition to the building
was erected to accommodate 250 scholars, the original Church building becoming the
infant class room. This building served as the Church pending the erection of a new
Church, which had already been decided upon at a public meeting held in April of that
year.
The accompanying photograph shows the original small Church, with the additions
made for Sunday School purposes in 1868. Attached to the rear is a two-roomed
building which was occupied by the caretaker.
Newcomers were constantly arriving and added strength to the Church. In 1858 Mr.
and Mrs. Edward Salter and family arrived. Mr. Salter was a local preacher, class
leader, and Sunday School Superintendent, and Mr. C. E. Salter followed his father in
his Church activities. Another arrival was Mr. Francis Harrison, with his wife and
family of six children. They were all highly musical, and greatly enriched the Choir
and Sunday School for many years. They created somewhat of a sensation on the first
Sunday they attended Church, for Mr. Harrison was dressed in frock coat and top hat,
Mrs. Harrison in rustling silk crinoline, and the eldest son in Eton suit and top hat—a
great contradistinction to the plain homespun of the other worshippers. Keen on
education, the pioneers established Wesleyan day schools, and Mr. John Broughton
conducted one in an unformed lane which is now Browns Road.
More prominent citizens were added to the Board of Trustees in the person of John
Leaf Wilson, John Cumberworth (afterwards first headmaster of the Sydenham Public
School), Albert Miles Philpott (son of Isaac, and father of Mrs. Vernon Bedwell),
Charles Duggan, Charles Wesley Turner, William Moor, Robert Bowbyes and John
Broughton.
In connection with the new Church, a committee had been appointed to plan and
supervise its erection. Its members were F. G. Garrick, C. W. Turner, John Cameron,
J. Quaife, Edward Salter, John Broughton, Robert Bowbyes, Thomas Lowe, Isaac
Philpott, William Moor and Charles Duggan, later added to in the persons of Rev. J.
Aldred, Messrs. T. W. Jones, J. Cumberworth and J. L. Wilson. Mr. Cumberworth was
Wesley Historical Society (NZ) Publication #11(2&3) 1953
Page 9
St. Albans Methodist Church Centenary by Sir E.H.Andrews
appointed secretary and . Mr. Isaac Philpott treasurer of the committee. Plans and
specifications were submitted by Mr. John Rutland, whose tender was accepted and he
was guaranteed a payment of £335 by twelve of the committee in sums varying from
£10 to £50. It was decided to lay the foundation stone on the 15th September 1868;
but four days before this date the resolution was rescinded. The reason for this
rescission was that Mr. J. T. Peacock (later Hon. J. T. Peacock) had offered a quarteracre section in St. Albans Lane, at the corner of what is now Kerrs Lane, together with
£100 if the new Church was erected on that site. There was a condition attached to the
offer—that the remains of his father, Captain John J. Peacock, an honoured Methodist
recently deceased, might be interred in the Church ground. This site was a much better
one than the site of the existing Church, so the offer was accepted and Mr. Peacock
was added to the committee. It was decided to fence the discarded site, in order to
enlarge it for use as a playground for the children. The acceptance included further
financial assistance of £100 from Mr. Peacock's mother, and an increase to £100 by
Mr. F.J. Garrick of his subscription. However, no bodies were interred in the grounds,
for the Peacock trustees at a cost of £442 built a vault under the chancel of the Church,
and the body of Captain Peacock was moved by Mr. Rutland at a cost of £5 from the
Barbadoes Street Cemetery. The body of Mrs. Hickman, mother of Mrs. Peacock, as
well as those of several members of the Garrick and Brown families, were also
interred in the vault. Ultimately the bodies of Captain Peacock and Mrs. Hickman
were removed to the handsome family vault in the Linwood Cemetery, and the other
bodies elsewhere. It was said that the ghost of Captain Peacock used to stroll along St.
Albans Lane as a protest against the disturbance of his resting place, but doubtless it
was the prank of certain young fellows who wished to stimulate belief in the ghost
story. It may be interesting to note that Captain Peacock's ships were trading with
New Zealand before the days of British Sovereignty. He also acquired considerable
landed property, and later established a prosperous shipping business at Lyttelton,
where he erected a wharf known for many years as the Peacock wharf.
The foundation stone of the new Church was laid by Mr. J. T. Peacock on October 16,
1868, and opened on April n, 1869. The preachers for the occasion were the Rev.
Thomas Buddle and Mr. F. J. Garrick, a leading lawyer and an eloquent and
convincing local preacher. Mr. J. Leaf Wilson presented the pulpit Bible and hymn
book.
The total cost of the Church including fencing and all sundries was £1850. It was built
to seat 270 persons, and was noteworthy for its chaste interior. Sittings were let at two
shillings and sixpence a single or fifteen shillings for a whole pew of seven sittings. In
the western transept were two pews of the type seen in English Parish Churches. Each
provided accommodation for about twelve persons. They were occupied by the
Peacock and Garrick families.
Wesley Historical Society (NZ) Publication #11(2&3) 1953
Page 10
St. Albans Methodist Church Centenary by Sir E.H.Andrews
Rev Thomas Buddle
The second church in St Albans
New trustees were appointed in the persons of Francis James Garrick, Charles Wesley
Turner, Isaac William Philpott, Edward Salter, John Broughton, John Cumberworth,
William Moor, Thomas William Jones, John Leaf Wilson, and John Thomas Peacock.
Wesley Historical Society (NZ) Publication #11(2&3) 1953
Page 11
St. Albans Methodist Church Centenary by Sir E.H.Andrews
From its inception St. Albans Methodist Church has been the spiritual home of many
prominent citizens, who took a leading part in its activities and welfare. Amongst
them one would recall the following: Mr. F. J. Garrick, a Sydney solicitor and an
outstanding local preacher, eloquent and persuasive; he was a member of the
Provincial Council and later Member of Parliament for St. Albans electorate; his wife
was the sister of the Hon. J. T. Peacock. J. T. Peacock was educated at a Sydney
College, and as a young man entered his father's shipping business. He also held a seat
on the Canterbury Provincial Council until its abolition, and later became a member of
the House of Representatives and of the Legislative Council. Charles Wesley Turner,
son of the pioneer Missionary to the Maoris, Rev. Nathaniel Turner, was a leading
merchant in the city. Mr. George Gould, another leading merchant was one of the
most influential men in the city—a generous supporter of Church building, both at St.
Albans and Durham Street. Dr. Harold Williams, son of the much-loved Rev. W. J.
Williams, assistant minister to the Rev. J. A. Luxford, left the Ministry for a
journalistic career, and became foreign editor of the London Times and lived for many
years in Russia. He was a remarkable linguist, and was said to be able to speak
fluently ten or more different languages. He became recognized as a world authority
in international affairs.
Mr C. W. Turner
Rev. J. A. Luxford D.S.O.
Other outstanding personalities of the early days were Mr. E. C. Brown, for many
years manager of the D.I.C., Mr. C. E. Salter, solicitor, Mr. H. A'Court, secretary to
the Kaiapoi Woollen Company, Miss Eleanor Lovell Smith, musician, Church
organist for over fifty years, and Isaac Philpott, farmer, so zealous for the welfare of
Wesley Historical Society (NZ) Publication #11(2&3) 1953
Page 12
St. Albans Methodist Church Centenary by Sir E.H.Andrews
the Church and so practical too. It is recorded of him that when he planted ten acres of
potatoes it was his custom to set aside one acre for the Church. Joseph Pattrick's
descendants to the number of one hundred from near and far attended service at the
end of 1950 to commemorate his arrival in Christchurch with the Pilgrims. In memory
of the occasion they presented an inscribed brass plaque, which is placed on the wall
of the Church.
Mr E. C. Brown
I mention these as stalwarts who fostered the Church in its earlier days, but a
succession of such men and women has continued through the years—members of
parliament, mayors and councillors, artists and scientists, educationists and medical
doctors, business men and executives, farmers and builders—one dare not attempt to
make a selection or to enumerate them in the small compass of this booklet, but one
would pay equally grateful tribute to the scores of humble souls, never prominent in
the public eye, who have fought the good fight, have received the 'Well done, good
and faithful servant', and have entered into the joy of their Lord. To those who
continue in faithful service to their Loving Father through their Church, they may be
assured that though their names appear not in earthly records, they will be recorded in
the 'Book of Life'. To the young people of the Church, on whom its very existence
depends, may one say that, some of you may, indeed will, rise to positions of honour
and distinction in the community, but whatever your position in life, I enjoin you to
remain steadfast in your faith. The St. Albans Church owes much to its young people,
throughout the years, perhaps never more than at present, and all are greatly
enheartened by their splendid devotion and service, and the consecration of their
talents. With gratitude and complete confidence, the older ones, as the years go, must
pass the Standard to you to defend and display as the Symbol of our holy faith.
Wesley Historical Society (NZ) Publication #11(2&3) 1953
Page 13
St. Albans Methodist Church Centenary by Sir E.H.Andrews
The Church has been blessed with a succession of twenty-four Superintendent
Ministers—all able men who gave devoted service. Among early ones, one would
specially mention the Revs. James Buller, Thomas Buddle, A. R. Fitchett, M.A., later
Dean of Dunedin and father of the late Bishop; J. B. Richardson, drowned in the
wreck of the Tararua when on the way to the General Conference in Adelaide; Dr.
Morley, preacher, administrator and author; Joseph Berry, prince of preachers; John
A. Luxford, M.C., Chaplain to the Forces, who lost a leg on active service in the First
World War and was decorated for distinguished service. Of the twenty-four, twenty
were honoured by election as President of the Conference, three of them, Revs. Buller,
Buddle and Morley, as President of the Australasian General Conference, and the Rev.
Berry as President of the South Australian Conference. In addition to the
Superintendent Ministers, there served in the Circuit numerous Assistant Ministers
and Probationers who have graduated to the position of highly honoured Ministers of
the Church.
At the General Conference held in Hobart in 1871, St. Albans was constituted a
separate circuit. Included in its boundaries were Papanui, Knightstown, Shirley and
Harewood. Services had been commenced in Papanui in 1856 by Mr. Ebenezer
Gonnal, who preached in a barn owned by Mr. James Reese, and in 1858 a small
Church building was erected. In 1870 a Church to seat 300 people was opened by Mr.
F. J. Garrick, and in the same year one at Harewood Road (Frieston). In 1871 a newlyerected Church in North Crescent Road, now Trafalgar Street, was opened to serve the
district known as Knightstown, now East St. Albans. This Church was the fore-runner
of the substantial Church buildings in Edgeware Road, and is still part of the St.
Albans Circuit. The Minister in charge at this time was the Rev. William Kirk, and the
first Board of Trustees of the new Circuit was composed of Messrs. Geo. Gould, J. T.
Pea-cock, J. Aldred, F.J. Garrick, C. W. Turner, J. T. Wilson, E. Salter, R. Bowbyes,
William Moor, T. W. Jones, Isaac Philpott and J. Cumberworth. At the end of its first
year as a separate Circuit, St. Albans showed six Churches, one other preaching place,
152 Church Members, 750 attendances at public worship, fourteen class leaders, nine
local preachers and five Sunday Schools with an enrolment of 300 scholars under
forty teachers. Land for a parsonage had already been acquired in Papanui Road. It
consisted of an area of one and a quarter acres and was purchased for £150,
comprising the land on which the present St. Albans Church and School stand as well
as a portion adjoining, which is now Rugby Street. To allow the formation of Rugby
Street itself, and so make the Church land a valuable corner site, land was exchanged
with the local body for additional land adjoining the present schoolroom site in Rugby
Street, and a nine-roomed parsonage was erected on the Papanui frontage at a cost of
£750. It was first occupied by the Rev. William Kirk about 1871. In later years the
parsonage glebe or horse paddock was used as a site for the present Church and
School buildings, and later again, in 1926, that first parsonage and the quarter-acre on
which it stood were sold and the present one in Repton Street was acquired, leaving
Wesley Historical Society (NZ) Publication #11(2&3) 1953
Page 14
St. Albans Methodist Church Centenary by Sir E.H.Andrews
the area as it stands today at two roods seventeen perches. The erection of that first
parsonage involved the Circuit in a debt of £200.
It is fitting to mention the loyal women workers for the Church at this time. Amongst
them one gratefully remembers Mesdames Salter, Smith (wife of John Tippet Smith,
leading Christchurch bookseller and a one-time Mayor of the city; he was an
acceptable local preacher and was choirmaster at this time), Mitchell, Nuttall, Gould,
Heslop, Bennett, Cooper, Broughton, Berry and Pine, as well as others already
mentioned.
Rev A R Fitchett M.A.
For three years from 1873 the Rev. A. R. Fitchett, M.A., exercised a singularly
successful Ministry, and the Church prospered numerically and financially.
The debt of £200 still remaining on the Church was taken in hand by the ladies, who
organized a bazaar to pay it off and to raise funds for a pipe-organ. Outside ladies
prominent in the city, among them Lady Cracroft Wilson and Miss Barker, daughter
of the pioneer Dr. Barker, assisted at the bazaar. The result was an amount of £376.
The debt was paid off and the harmonium then in use was sold for £55. Mr. C. W.
Turner on a visit to England selected a pipe organ of 360 pipes at a cost, including
freight charges, of 3^220. Mrs. Peacock continued as organist. Mr. Fitchett was a man
of varied talents. As well as great preaching and organizing ability, he had amazing
energy. He held singing classes for the purpose of building up the choir; during Mr.
Turner's absence in England, he acted as Sunday School Superintendent. He was
editor of the N.Z. Wesleyan, the Church newspaper, and was an intrepid horseman.
Special services in 1875 resulted in an addition of sixty members to the Church. The
Wesley Historical Society (NZ) Publication #11(2&3) 1953
Page 15
St. Albans Methodist Church Centenary by Sir E.H.Andrews
Sunday School was in great heart. The Sunday School treats, which were generally
held in Mr. Peacock's grounds, were a feature of the times. Mr. Peacock kept a number
of ostriches, and these were always a source of great interest to children and adults
too.
The rigidity of the Triennial System in those days resulted in the transfer of Mr.
Fitchett to Trinity Church, Dunedin, where he served for three years, leaving to join
the Church of England. It is said by some that this resulted from his dislike of the
itinerant system. In 1876 he was farewelled at a tea meeting which needed three full
sittings to serve the people, and at the public meeting afterwards a crowded Church
bore testimony to the regret of his removal, and he was presented with a purse
containing one hundred guineas as a mark of appreciation of his services. He was
succeeded by the Rev. John Crump, and an assistant was appointed in the person of
Mr. Joseph Rapley as Home Missionary.
Rev John Crump
The Church continued to progress, the demand for rented sittings could not be met,
finances were buoyant, and the Circuit showed a credit of £50 after a further £73 had
been spent on the organ. The Sunday School continued to flourish under the
Superintendency of Mr. Broughton, and the library boasted one thousand volumes.
Mr. Broughton's ardent devotion and .intense interest in his Church and Sunday
School work was exemplified in his determination never to absent himself if it were
humanly possible to be present. He suffered from .periodic attacks of gout (no doubt,
'poor man's gout'), and when unable to walk or find other means of getting there, his
two sons had to take spells in conveying him in the wheelbarrow. Among the Sunday
School teachers was Miss Olive Turner, who later married Mr. J. H. Kirk of Abberley,
Wesley Historical Society (NZ) Publication #11(2&3) 1953
Page 16
St. Albans Methodist Church Centenary by Sir E.H.Andrews
son of the Rev. W. Kirk. Abberley has since been acquired as a public park by the
City Council. The Methodist Conference, last time it was held in Christchurch, staged
its garden party there, and in his address of welcome to the visitors, the mayor made
interesting reference to its Methodist associations.
In 1879 the Rev. J. B. Richardson became minister, but in the second year of his
ministry he and Mr. Ellenton Mitchell, the St. Albans schoolmaster, were drowned in
the wreck of the Tararua when on the way to the General Conference in Adelaide. The
year before (1880) the loved and venerable pioneer of St. Albans Methodism, Joseph
Pattrick, died. These were sad losses to the Church, and indeed to the community. The
memory of each of them is preserved in plaques in the present Church. During the
Rev. Richardson's term the progress continued. The debt of £200 still remained on the
parsonage, and Mr. Garrick offered £100 towards its extinction provided the balance
was raised. This was easy, for a Christmas sale of work and an auction conducted by
Mr. J. L. Wilson realized £75 and £88 respectively.
The Rev. James Buller, father of the renowned Sir Walter Buller, had retired in 1876
and had since lived in England. He returned to St. Albans and acted as relieving
minister until the appointment of the Rev. W. Morley in 1882. In the Rev. Buffer's
term, the Minister's stipend was raised to £300 in order to enable him to keep a horse
for circuit work.
The Rev. W. Morley was Secretary of Conference and editor of the New Zealand
Wesleyan. In 1883 he was appointed Secretary of the Church Building and Loan Fund,
the origin of which was due largely to his efforts, and in 1884 he was elected President
of the Conference. Consequently he was a very busy man, but he had as his assistant
in the Circuit a young minister, the Rev. C. H. Garland, who later rose to eminence in
the Connexion, and was known as the silver-tongued preacher.
The Church was enlarged to accommodate eighty more worshippers, at a cost of £250,
and an addition was made to the organ involving an expenditure of £30. Chiefly
through the generosity of Mr.W. Moor, a coach builder, a buggy was provided for the
minister and it was kept in order by Mr. Moor without charge. The minister was
allowed £30 for keep of the horse. It was in this period that Miss Eleanor Smith
became organist; as already mentioned, she occupied this post continuously for more
than fifty years.
In the apse of the present Church in Rugby Street are four beautiful stained glass
windows. They were removed from the previous Church in St. Albans Lane, when
Rugby Street was built. The two centre ones were the gift of the Hon. J. T. Peacock in
memory of his father, Captain J. Peacock, and the windows supporting these on either
side were given by Mr. C. W. Turner and Mr. F. J. Garrick. I have been unable to find
any record of the source of the handsome illuminated panels on either side of the
apse—the Lord's Prayer on one and the Apostle's Creed on the other. The beautiful
Wesley Historical Society (NZ) Publication #11(2&3) 1953
Page 17
St. Albans Methodist Church Centenary by Sir E.H.Andrews
window on' the west transept depicting St. Luke was erected in memory of the Hon. J.
T. Peacock, who passed away in 1905 at the age of seventy-seven years.
Rev. J. B. Richardson
Rev. W. Morley D.D.
In those days the connexional spirit was very strong. This was evidenced in many
ways, such as revival meetings, and well attended prayer and class meetings. Take the
following example: On Boxing Day 1886 over twelve hundred Methodists from near
and far assembled for a picnic camp-meeting in Mr. C. W. Turner's paddock on
Papanui Road. One can sense the fervency of social intercourse, and Christian
fellowship, not to mention the singing of the old Methodist hymns by such a vast
concourse of people.
The Rev. Joseph Berry, a powerful evangelistic preacher, succeeded the Rev. Morley
in 1885, and the Rev. Garland was succeeded as assistant minister by the Rev. A. C.
Lawry. As already mentioned, revival meetings were common in those days, and those
held by Mr. Mathew Burnett and by Mrs. Scott resulted in many conversions, and
numerous additions to membership in many churches. Mr. Berry held a daily prayer
meeting at which forty to fifty regularly attended. He also formed a Literary and
Debating Society, instituted a training class for local preachers, and supported the
Band of Hope. He was active in Church extension, and a section at New Brighton was
donated by Mr. Jabez Rhodes, and services begun there. However, New Brighton was
transferred to the Durham Street Circuit in 1886.
Services were commenced in Mr. Verran's private house at Strowan, and in the school
at Marshland. New life was inspired into the various departments of the Church, e.g.
the Band of Hope with up to 300 in attendance. Groups for visiting were formed. The
Sunday School outgrew its accommodation and the Hon. J. T. Peacock presented a
Wesley Historical Society (NZ) Publication #11(2&3) 1953
Page 18
St. Albans Methodist Church Centenary by Sir E.H.Andrews
section on which to build a new school. It was decided to sell the old school property,
and plans were prepared and approved for a new school building at a cost of £750, but
building was not to commence until £500 was in hand. At that time the three schools
in the Circuit had a roll of 843 scholars, with eighty-nine teachers. Truly it was
realized that the future of the Church and of the community depended on the proper
training of the young.
Rev Joseph Berry
Rev J J Lewis
The next minister was the Rev. William Baumber ('Baumber the beloved', as he was
known), and his assistant was the Rev. D. J. Murray, who resided at Papanui.
Rev Wm. Baumber
Wesley Historical Society (NZ) Publication #11(2&3) 1953
Page 19
St. Albans Methodist Church Centenary by Sir E.H.Andrews
Services were now also held at Frieston, Riccarton, Riccarton Village, and Windsor
(Shirley), all in the St. Albans Circuit. This wide field was covered with the help of a
numerous band of local preachers. They were Messrs. E. Salter, J. Broughton, R. H.
Ferguson, H. Hurley, H. Crump, J. Rapley, C. E. Salter, J. Cannon, John Cock, J.
Wood, J. Banks, J. Brownlee, C. E. T. Hill, W. Bowbyes, W. H. Brown, E. GeorgeWardley, F. Spooner, J. Glass, J. Ellman, S. H. Ferguson and G. Bowman, a
distinguished Oxford graduate. One wonders if any Church before or since could
claim such an array. During Mr. Baumber's term, a Christian Endeavour Society and a
Musical and Literary Society were formed. Many new-comers were constantly
arriving, and death took its toll, that of Mr. E. Salter in 1891 being a severe loss.
The Rev. J. A. Luxford took charge in 1894. The notable achievement in his term was
the erection of the present Church on the corner of Papanui Road and Rugby Street.
Comprehensive plans were prepared for the new Church, for the existing Church to be
altered to make it suitable for school and social purposes, and the removal,
reconstruction and repair of the Parsonage to a new site in Rugby Street. The Hon. J.
T. Peacock offered finance to the value of £1150 toward the erection of the Church,
the seating to be transferred from the existing Church. The actual cost was £2380 for
the new Church, and the contract was let to Mr. W. Smith. The foundation stone was
laid on November 1, 1894 by the Hon. J. T. Peacock, who at the ceremony said that he
had laid the foundation stone of the St. Albans Lane Church in place of his father, who
had died a few weeks previously, and now he was laying this stone in place of his late
wife, who was to have officiated. The Church was opened for public worship on May
5, 1895. At a week-night meeting it was reported that Hon.J. T. Peacock had
contributed £1300 as well as numerous other gifts and services. Other generous
donations were received and the two sections on which the first Church stood were
sold for £55 16s. and a portion of the building was removed to enlarge the second
Church to fit it for Sunday School purposes. This building was also remodelled and
the total cost was £420. On the completion of this work there was a debt of £250, but
Mr. Peacock offered to give £5 for every £5 collected, and at the opening tea meeting
it was announced that sufficient money was in sight to discharge all liabilities. Mr.
Luxford's assistants were the Rev. C. C. Harrison for two years and the Rev. Harold
Williams, M.A. (afterwards Dr. Williams, previously mentioned in these notes) for
one year. The year 1896 saw death taking its toll of old stalwarts: Mr. Isaac Philpott at
the age of eighty-two, Mr. Quaife, Mrs. May, and Mr. J. T. Smith.
Every year there are changes in Church personnel by removals and deaths, and by the
arrival of new-comers. Amongst the latter were the Hindle family, still worthily
represented by a daughter (Mrs. Coltart) active in choir and other departments of the
Church; Mrs. Hindle, one of the mothers of the Church, loved by everybody only
passed away in May 1952 at the age of eighty-two, after sixty years' continuous
membership. Mr. Vernon Bedwell, who married the granddaughter already referred to,
Wesley Historical Society (NZ) Publication #11(2&3) 1953
Page 20
St. Albans Methodist Church Centenary by Sir E.H.Andrews
of Mr. Isaac Philpott, has served through many offices, and at the present time is a
trustee and Church treasurer, offices he has held with great acceptance for a number of
years. Mr. R. Bowbyes was a devoted Sunday School teacher and Superintendent for
many years; Mr. George Simpson and Mr. Ben Hindle were both sometime
choirmasters.
The strict rule of a three-year term for ministers in a Circuit, was relaxed at this time,
and the Rev. William Lee served until 1900. Finance had become difficult owing to
the growing demand for Church buildings. Mr. Lee was confronted with a Circuit debt
of £320. He set out to deal with it, and a scheme was evolved to liquidate it in two
years. The scheme succeeded, and by April 1899 the debt had gone, a credit was in
hand, and the Ladies' Guild had raised £25 for painting the Parsonage. At this time the
Church suffered a severe loss in the death of Mr. John Broughton, who had given
forty-three years' service to the Church as local preacher, trustee, Sunday School
teacher, and sick visitor. In 1901 the division of the Circuit which had been advocated
by the Rev. W. Lee and his assistants, the Revs. A. B. Chappell and J. A. Hosking,
was approved by Conference and immediately took effect. Thus St. Albans and
Crescent Road became one circuit, and Papanui, Frieston, Riccarton and Riccarton
Village the other.
Rev. William Lee
Rev. W. G. Parsonson
W. G. Parsonson became the first minister of the new St. Albans Circuit. He exercised
a fruitful and influential Ministry. Under his Superintendency the activities of the
Church flourished. In October 1902 forty-seven persons were publicly received into
Church membership. After Mr. Parsonson had declined a call to Durham Street
Church, he was presented with a new bicycle and his stipend increased by £30. It was
in this year that individual Communion cups were introduced. It was also a year of
disaster, for the old Church, now Sunday School in St. Albans Lane, was destroyed by
Wesley Historical Society (NZ) Publication #11(2&3) 1953
Page 21
St. Albans Methodist Church Centenary by Sir E.H.Andrews
fire with its two pianos and its library. The circumstances of the fire were suspicious,
for there had been an epidemic of fires in the district at that time. The insurances,
which had recently been reduced, were £600 on the building and £125 on the
furniture. It was then resolved to sell the site and erect a new school and hall building
on the Rugby Street site. The specifications provided that it should be built in brick
and stone in conformity with the Church edifice. A tender of £1729 was accepted, and
the foundation stone from the destroyed school was laid by the Hon. J. T. Peacock,
and a second stone by Mr. C. W. Turner. The trowel and mallet were those used by
Mr. Peacock in 1868. In 1903 the Crescent Road trustees acquired the site of the
present Church in Edgeware Road. The whole congregation, the Church generally,
and the community at large were plunged into grief by the unexpected death of the
Rev. Parsonson on September 8, 1903 at the early age of forty-eight. In his memory
the plaque on the wall of the Church was erected by the Trustees, and the handsome
brass Communion rail by the members of the Choir. Supplies in the persons of the
Revs. Angus McBean and J. Richards carried on under the direction of the Rev. J. A.
Luxford, President of the Conference, until the appointment of the Rev. W. C. Oliver
in 1904.
Church affairs continued satisfactorily. Youth work flourished. Mr. J. Banks
conducted a successful young men's Bible Class, and Mr. W. Hindle a vigorous Senior
and Junior Endeavour Society. The Sunday School, with Mr. C. E. Salter as
Superintendent, was at the height of prosperity.
Mr. C. E. Salter
Rev. W. C. Oliver
In 1905 enlarged photographs of former Superintendents were presented and still hang
in the Social Hall of the school building. They were of Messrs. E. Salter, Isaac
Wesley Historical Society (NZ) Publication #11(2&3) 1953
Page 22
St. Albans Methodist Church Centenary by Sir E.H.Andrews
Philpott, John Broughton, and later of Robert Bowbyes, infant teacher for sixty-two
years, and C. E. Salter, Superintendent for twenty years. On October 20, 1905
occurred the death of the Hon.J. T. Peacock at the age of seventy-two. He was a
zealous and liberal supporter, as already chronicled in previous references in this
brochure.
In 1906 the Ladies' Guild took over the maintenance of the Parsonage furnishings, and
has continued to do so to the present time. In the same year Mr. H. W. Hislop
organized an effort to raise funds to secure a new pipe organ, and a more up-to-date
pulpit. The pulpit, however, was built and presented free of cost by Messrs. Pascoe, L.
Archer, W. Harrison and W. Dulieu. The organ fund was built up by a grant of £150
from Andrew Carnegie fund, the sale of the old organ to the Anglican Church at
Waikouaiti for £100, entertainments, and generous donations. The new organ was
installed free of debt at a cost of over £500. Mr. Wilfred Harrison made and presented
the choirmaster's stand. Mr. Will Simpson was choirmaster and Miss Eleanor Smith
organist.
The Rev. W. A. Sinclair was next in the succession of Superintendent Ministers, and
remained for four years, when Conference appointed him Foreign Missionary
Secretary with residence in Auckland.
Rev W. A. Sinclair
In December 1909 the Sunday School attained its Jubilee, though through a mistake it
was not celebrated until the following year. Local effort in the nature of an industrial
exhibition and flower show raised £114, which was expended on improvements to the
Wesley Historical Society (NZ) Publication #11(2&3) 1953
Page 23
St. Albans Methodist Church Centenary by Sir E.H.Andrews
school building. Mr. Sinclair conducted the first Scholars' Communion Service in
1908. There was a Scout Company of sixty boys, and a very successful Mission was
conducted by the Rev. C. H. Cole of Melbourne.
In 1911 the Rev. Harold E. Bellhouse succeeded the Rev. Sinclair. He was a man of
special gifts, fluency in preaching, and a sympathetic nature. His wife, nee Miss
Turner, had been all her life an active member of St. Albans Church before their
marriage. Mr. Bellhouse's assistant was the Rev. L. B. Neale, of whom more will be
written later.
Rev. H. E. Bellhouse
A circuit deaconess was also appointed. From this period, and for many subsequent
years, Messrs. W. J. Nicholson and W. C. Brett carefully tended the grounds and the
ivy-covered Church. The horse was still the motive power for conveyance, and a
hitching rail with rings was provided in the Church grounds.
The Ladies' Guild was active in raising £70 for Parsonage renovation, and on another
occasion £100 towards reducing a debt which had accumulated on the Sunday School.
It was from St. Albans Circuit that the Rev. William Walker, an eminent and honoured
Minister and a President of the Conference, entered the Ministry. In 1911 the choir
under Mr. W. Simpson gained the choir challenge shield and first prize in the
Christchurch Competitions, and repeated the success in 1912 and 1913. The prize
money was donated to the Church and to charitable organizations in the city.
The next minister was the Rev. A. C. Lawry, who remained for five years from 1916.
In the Great War (1914-1918) sixty of the young men and one young woman of the
Church served in the forces. Nine of these men made the supreme sacrifice. The
names are recorded on an Honours Board in the Church. Broadcasting of Church
Wesley Historical Society (NZ) Publication #11(2&3) 1953
Page 24
St. Albans Methodist Church Centenary by Sir E.H.Andrews
Services came into vogue about this time. One Sunday morning my little daughter
returned from Church, and when asked about the service informed me that Mr. Lawry
broadsided from the pulpit. The humour is added to by the fact that Mr. Lawry was a
man of considerable physical proportions.
Rev. A. C. Lawry
In 1921 the Rev. Napier Milne from England followed the Rev. Lawry, but at the end
of a three-year term he returned to the Homeland. His was a singularly gifted
personality, and he was an eloquent preacher always emphasizing spiritual ideals. His
colleagues were the Revs. H. Ford and T. H. Burton.
Rev Napier Milne
Wesley Historical Society (NZ) Publication #11(2&3) 1953
Page 25
St. Albans Methodist Church Centenary by Sir E.H.Andrews
Record numbers participated in Holy Communion. He revived the Men's Fellowship,
the Ladies' Visiting Committee, and formed a Mutual Help Circle. Miss E. Chaplin,
B.A., edited a circuit magazine. The seating accommodation of the Church was taxed
to its capacity. Church membership increased, finances were buoyant, and the
properties kept at a high standard. In addition to his circuit work, Mr. Milne edited the
Methodist Times with great acceptance to readers throughout the Dominion. In 1922,
Mr. Frank Thompson succeeded Mr. S. R. Webb as Sunday School Superintendent. It
is opportune at this stage to pay tribute to Mr. and Mrs. F. Thompson for unstinted and
generous service to the Church and Sunday School in all their activities. In recognition
of his worth and work, Mr. Thompson was elected Vice-President of Conference in
1924. In 1922 Mr. Milne and Mr. Thompson arranged a complimentary social to
honour Mr. R. A. Bowbyes on his completion of sixty-two years of continuous service
in the Sunday School, and to celebrate the ninetieth year of his age. The roll was then
181 scholars and twenty teachers. His years of service were in the infant department,
where he was looked upon in later years as a loving grand-dad. I remember an
occasion when a little girl attended for the first time, and on arriving home was
questioned about her visit. She said, 'We sang hymns, said prayers, and teacher told us
about Jesus; then she told us about some old men in the Bible, and then one of them
came and gave us lollies. I think his name was Moses'. The rewarding of sweets was a
practice of Mr. Bowbyes.
Mr. Frank Thompson
Rev. L. B. Neale B.A.
In 1924 the Rev. L. B. Neale, B.A., began a record Ministry of seven years. He drew
crowded congregations, and his social work during the depression was monumental.
In this he was assisted by many helpers, prominent amongst them being Mr. D.
Haberfield and Mrs. F. M. Emmett (now Lady Andrews), who for three years gave
full service to Mr. Neale in this work. She proudly exhibits the gold watch which was
presented to her by Mr. Neale in recognition other services. Lady Andrews is now
Wesley Historical Society (NZ) Publication #11(2&3) 1953
Page 26
St. Albans Methodist Church Centenary by Sir E.H.Andrews
(1952) President of the Ladies' Guild. At a by-election Mr. Neale was elected to the
Christchurch City Council, and retained his seat until he removed to take charge of the
Dunedin Central Mission in 1930, from which he retired on superannuation at the
conference of 1951. During Mr. Neale's term the Church made phenomenal progress
in all its departments, as well as added ones. The Ladies' Guild continued its activities
and raised considerable sums of money for Church and Parsonage furnishings and
repairs. A deaconess, Sister Lenna Button, was appointed. Sister Lenna lost her life in
the London blitz. Presentations were made to Miss E. Smith on her completion of fifty
years as organist, and to Mr. W. Simpson on twenty-five years as choir-master.
Messrs. A. F. Barrell, Calder Mackay and, for a second time, Mr. Frank Thompson
were in turn Superintendent of the Sunday School, which continued in a healthy
condition. The Junior Christian Endeavour continued its support of a native teacher in
the Solomon Islands, and helpful work for the orphanage. In 1929 it contributed £100
towards the extinction of the trust debt. Mr. and Mrs. Nairn presented the Communion
Table now in use. Among new-comers to the Church at this time were Mr. and Mrs. P.
A. Le Brun and Mr. and Mrs. C. C. Sandford, prominent workers for the Church. Mr.
Sandford has just removed (1952) to another part of the city, but Mr. Le Brun still
carries on the duties of Circuit Steward. Among the removals were Messrs. John Cock
and A. C. Reed, and death claimed Mr. and Mrs. A. Philpott and Mr. R. Bowbyes. In
1924 the Repton Street Parsonage was acquired, and in 1926 seat rents were
abolished. Mr. Neale's Edgeware Road colleagues were the Rev. S. J. Werren and the
Rev. E. B. Chambers. In 1925 services were begun in the Fendalton public school.
This was the precursor of the beautiful Bryndwyr Church, which cost £6000. The
foundation stone was laid in 1927 and the Church dedicated and opened in November
1928. Today it serves a rapidly-growing district, and the vigour of the Church and
Sunday School is a monument to the faith and vision of Mr. Neale and its officials and
people. Working-bees from St. Albans Church gave great service in clearing ground,
laying foundations, etc. Lately a spacious Sunday School Hall has been erected. Mr.
Ashleigh Petch, a candidate for the Ministry and now Superintendent Minister of
Durham Street Church, was Mr. Neale's assistant in Bryndwyr, and he was followed
by the superannuated ministers, Revs. F. T. Read, A. C. Lawry, A. Liversedge and E.
Drake. At the time of writing the minister in charge is a probationer, the Rev. D. B.
Gordon. Referring again to Mr. Neale's extensive Social Service work, his name
became honoured throughout the city and farther afield. He raised large sums of
money to assist the needy and distressed. His especial care was the children of the
poor and with the help of the Bible Classes he was able to give twenty-five of these a
happy eight-day holiday at Governor's Bay. When it was learned that Mr. Neale was
being moved to Dunedin, a great tribute was paid to him by unemployed men.
Representatives attended the Sunday Service, while crowds listened from outside.
Some two hundred were entertained afterwards at supper by the congregation.
Wesley Historical Society (NZ) Publication #11(2&3) 1953
Page 27
St. Albans Methodist Church Centenary by Sir E.H.Andrews
The Rev. William Rowe succeeded the Rev. Neale. He came in the period of deep
financial depression and unemployment, and manfully continued the work of relief
and though in some respects his methods differed from those of his predecessor, he
was regarded with much affection in the homes of the unfortunate. In 1934 Mr. W.
Simpson retired from the position of choirmaster after thirty years' service. Mr.
Rowe's youth work was highly successful, and on one occasion he had the joy of
receiving forty-two young people into Church membership. During this period the call
to higher service came to a number of the older folk, among them S. R. Webb, G. F.
Edgar, and A. D. Hassall.
Rev. W. Rowe
Rev. W. A. Burley M.A.
Following the Rev. Rowe came the Rev. W. A. Burley as Pastor. Until 1940 he was
Secretary to the Conference, and in 1941 was elected President and he exercised great
goodwill among the people for six years. His colleagues were the Revs. H. S. Kings
and C. O. Hailwood. Among newly-appointed trustees, who are still active in many
branches of the Church work, were Messrs. W. R. Featherston, G. Good, W. K.
Hutchens, A. E. Lawry, P. Meyers and J. W. Willis. During Mr. Burley's period 'The
Friends of Rugby Street' was formed, and continues to provide a regular source of
income, and the inspiring lead of one donor led to the complete extinction of the trust
debt. Mr. J. W. Beanland, then Mayor of Christchurch, gave generous service in
renovating the Church and spire, and the building was treated for borer infestation.
The present handsome electric light shades in the Church were provided by individual
donors. Other friends installed 'aids for hearing'. Mrs. C. V. Barrell presented the
Baptismal Font now in use, and the Barrell family presented the piano for the Sunday
School. New hymn books were procured, and the earlier edition presented to the
Waimangoroa Church near Westport. Mr. W. Hutchens, Mus.Bach., was appointed
choirmaster, and Mrs. Hutchens organist. Youth work flourished —Boys' and Girls'
Wesley Historical Society (NZ) Publication #11(2&3) 1953
Page 28
St. Albans Methodist Church Centenary by Sir E.H.Andrews
Life Brigades, Life Boys and Cadets, Sunday School and Bible Classes. All branches
of the Church—Ladies' Guild, Missionary Auxiliary, etc.—successfully carried on
their work. The Men's Fellowship for St. Albans and Papanui was inaugurated, and the
Christchurch North Messenger commenced publi-cation. Knox Presbyterian Church
combined with Rugby Street in conducting an evangelical mission.
In 1942 the Rev. D. O. Williams, M.A., became minister. He stood amongst the
foremost of the many fine preachers that Rugby Street Church has been favoured with.
He was a brilliant student too, and secured the degree of Doctor of Literature while at
St. Albans. All departments of the Church were carried on successfully. The Sunday
School, under the name of the Junior Church, met in the morning instead of the
afternoon, and this resulted in added numbers and increased attendance. Many young
people were received into Church membership. An electric organ blower was
presented by Mr. A. F. Barrell. Mr. Williams's scholarship and suitability resulted in
his transfer to Auckland as Tutor in the Theological College. Amongst the severe
losses to the Church by death during this period were Messrs. Frank Thompson, J. W.
Beanland, C. Gibbard, Mrs. G. G. Sandford, and Misses Irene and Flossie Palmer,
while the Armed Forces drew heavily upon the young men and women.
The Minister at the time of writing is the Rev. H. J. Odell, who succeeded Dr.
Williams in January 1947; but owing to deterioration in his health, he has had to
decline further appointment at this year's (1952) Conference. So he retires just prior to
the actual Centennial celebrations in March 1953. But the trustees will urge his
attendance and participation in the week's celebrations.
Rev. D. O. Williams Litt.D., M.A.
Wesley Historical Society (NZ) Publication #11(2&3) 1953
Rev. H. J. Odell
Page 29
St. Albans Methodist Church Centenary by Sir E.H.Andrews
During their term, Mr. and Mrs. Odell have endeared themselves to the people by their
faithful visitation of the old and the sick, and their sacrificial work for the general
welfare of the Church and its people. The success of the youth movement in the
Church is a monument to their zeal, sympathy and stimulation. It is a question whether
it has ever before reached a higher degree of effectiveness. The finances of the Church
are in sound condition, and the property maintained in good order. Finances have been
maintained mainly by congregational giving. Appeals for special purposes have met
with a generous response. Certainly, by a special effort £500 was raised for
renovations and remodelling of the School Hall. The young people were largely
responsible for this successful result in conducting a Queen Carnival. The Ladies'
Guild continues its good work under the presidency of Mrs. Odell, who has now
retired from the office and has been succeeded by Lady Andrews, with Mrs. Sail as
secretary and Mrs. Coltart continuing as treasurer. The loss of Mr. and Mrs. Hutchens
as choirmaster and organist respectively, on their removal to Sydney, was severe, but
the Church has been most fortunate in their successors. Mr. Francis Dennis,
choirmaster, and Mr. Jock Hosking as organist are very young men, but both are
blessed with exceptional musical ability. While the older members of the choir
continue their membership in loyal and active service, many young people have been
added to its ranks, and the result is that the musical part of the worship maintains its
very fine reputation. Of course the Great Reaper has been in evidence, and one already
referred to is Mrs. Hindle, who had been continuously an active member and worker
for over sixty years. In 1950 Mr. Odell was honoured by election as President of the
Conference. This imposed a big strain upon him, when added to his pastoral duties,
especially as he had to act for his successor, the Rev. E. W. Hames, M.A. who was
absent in England for some months representing New Zealand at the British
Conference. Mr. Odell carried the added duties with satisfaction to the whole Church
and credit to himself. Mr. Odell's assistants were the Rev. E. S. Hoddinott, the Rev. F.
W. Harland from England, and the Rev. D. B. Gordon. Altogether St. Albans
Methodist Church is in excellent heart in all its departments.
The Rev. W. G. Slade, D.D., M.A., has been appointed to succeed the Rev. H. J.
Odell, and will commence his ministry in February 1953.
Wesley Historical Society (NZ) Publication #11(2&3) 1953
Page 30
St. Albans Methodist Church Centenary by Sir E.H.Andrews
Interior of St Albans Church
CONCLUSION
One hundred years is a long time in the history of a Church in a young country like
New Zealand, and as we look back over that period we pay grateful tribute to the
stalwarts who have given such faithful service and exercised such an influence on the
lives of thousands outside as well as inside the Church.
The changeful years unresting,
Their silent course have sped.
New comrades ever bringing
In comrade's steps we tread.
And some are long forgotten,
Long spent their hopes and fears.
Safe rest they in Thy keeping
Who changest not with years.
As we see another generation filling the places with such devotion and dedication we
have no fear for the future. 'We thank God for all that is past and trust Him for all
that's to come.' Contributed
Wesley Historical Society (NZ) Publication #11(2&3) 1953
Page 31
St. Albans Methodist Church Centenary by Sir E.H.Andrews
TRUSTEES, 1953
Back row: Messrs. A. Andrews, A. F. Barrell, R. W. Mayson, R. J. Stevens, P. Meyers, J. W. Willis,
Dr. N. F. Greenslade, and Mr. P. A. Le Brun.
Front row: Messrs. D. N. Swaney, W. K. Hutchens, R. Donald, Sir Ernest Andrews,
Rev. H. J. Odell, Messrs. V. Bedwell, F. H. Ford, G. Good and W. R. Featherston.
Wesley Historical Society (NZ) Publication #11(2&3) 1953
Page 32
St. Albans Methodist Church Centenary by Sir E.H.Andrews
St. Albans Ministerial Succession
CANTERBURY CIRCUIT
1853
1854-59
1860-64
Rev. William Kirk
Rev. John Aldred
Rev. James Buller
CHRISTCHURCH CIRCUIT
1865
1866-69
1870
Rev. James Buller
President 1864 Aust. 1875 N.Z.
Rev. Thomas Buddle President 1863 Aust 1874 N.Z.
Rev. William Kirk
President
1877 N.Z.
ST. ALBANS CIRCUIT
1871-72
1873-75
1876-78
1879-81
1882-84
Rev. William Kirk
President 1877
Rev. A. R. Fitchett, M.A.
Rev. John Crump
President 1878
Rev. J. B. Richardson
President 1881
Rev. William Morley, D.D
President 1884
General Conference 1894
1885-87
Rev. Joseph
President 1885
South Australian Conference 1897
1888-90
Rev. J. J. Lewis
President 1890
1891-93
Rev. William Baumber
President 1896
1894-96
Rev. John A. Luxford, D.S.O
President 1903
1897-1900 Rev. William Lee
President 1880
1901-03
Rev. W. G. Parsonson
President 1898
1904-06 Rev. W. C. Oliver
President 1887
1907-10 Rev. W. A. Sinclair
President 1917
1911-15 Rev. H. E. Bellhouse
President 1919
1916-20 Rev. A. C. Lawry
President 1916
1921-23 Rev. J. Napier Milne
1924-30 Rev. L. B. Neale, B.A.
President 1940
I93I"35 Rev. William Rowe
1936-41 Rev. William A. Burley, M.A.
President 1941
1942-46 Rev. D. O. Williams, Litt. D., M.A.
1947-53 Rev. H. J. Odell ..
President 1950
1953- Rev. W. G. Slade, D.D., M.A.
President 1948
Wesley Historical Society (NZ) Publication #11(2&3) 1953
Page 33
St. Albans Methodist Church Centenary by Sir E.H.Andrews
St Albans Church Officials 1953
MINISTERS
Rev. .H. J. Odell, Rev. E. Drake (Supernumerary),
Rev. G. B. Hinton (Supernumerary)
LOCAL PREACHERS
Mrs. H.J. Odell; Miss B. Ford; Messrs. A. E. Lawry, K. Goatsworth, E. A.
Woodfield, T. Woodfield, R. W. Mayson, B.A., A. M. Hosking, D. N. Swaney,
W. Eggleston (on trial).
TRUSTEES
Messrs. V.Bedwell (Treasurer), W.K. Hutchens (Secretary), Sir Ernest Andrews,
Messrs. A. Andrews, C. C. Sandford, A. F. Barrell, R. Donald, P. A. Le Brun, W.
G. Brett, P. Meyers, W. R.. Featherston, J. W. Willis, R. J. Stevens, Edwin Cock,
Dr. N. F. Greenslade, F. H. Ford, D. N. Swaney, G. Good, R. W. Mayson.
SOCIETY STEWARDS
Messrs. F. H. Ford, J. W. Willis, A. Andrews, R. J. Stevens, W. R. Featherston,
H. .Challis, D. Pratt, B. Neutze, G. Donald, M. J. Willis, R. Wright, D. W.
Featherston.
CHOIR
Choirmaster: Mr. Francis Dennis
Organist: Mr. J. Hosking
Secretary: Miss Gwyneth Andrews
LADIES GUILD
President: Lady Andrews
Secretary: Mrs. W. Sail
SUNDAY SCHOOL SUPERINTENDENT
Mrs. M. Richards
Wesley Historical Society (NZ) Publication #11(2&3) 1953
Page 34