Foley frightens NSW flood victims

The Hon Katrina Hodgkinson MP
Minister for Primary Industries
Minister for Small Business
MEDIA RELEASE
Monday, 12 March 2012
FOLEY FRIGHTENS NSW FLOOD VICTIMS
Minister for Primary Industries, Katrina Hodgkinson today slammed Labor’s spokesman for
Water, Luke Foley for attempting to scare the State’s flood-ravaged communities.
“Widespread flooding is affecting a number of areas across the State, including the north west,
far west, central west, south east and south west and it’s irresponsible and cruel for Labor’s
spokesman to be scaremongering in communities that need support.
“It’s clear that compassion isn’t Mr Foley’s strong point but now he’s highlighting his own
thorough lack of corporate knowledge.
“A Statement of Corporate Intent is simply a forecast by the business.
“Individual companies can make plans, but the final dividend paid will be determined by the
State Government.”
“State Water’s 2011/12 Statement of Corporate Intent was tabled in Parliament in December
last year. It beggars belief that as floods continue to affect communities across NSW that Mr
Foley is now trying to create panic about dam safety,” Ms Hodgkinson said.
“Mr Foley has also conveniently overlooked the fact that last financial year, the dividend paid
by State Water was 24 per cent less than what the former Labor Government had forecast,”
Ms Hodgkinson said.
“I can assure the public that State Water takes dam safety very seriously and is committed to
ensuring dams throughout rural and regional NSW are safe and secure.
“State Water’s dam safety group also works closely with the NSW Dam Safety Committee and
the Australian National Committee on Large Dams (ANCOLD) to ensure that the most current
national and global expertise is incorporated into its dam safety program.
Ms Hodgkinson said more than $110 million has been invested in completing stage 1
upgrades at Blowering, Burrendong, Chaffey, and Keepit dams. A further $170 million is
allocated for ongoing upgrades at Copeton, Split Rock, Wyangala and Hume dams. The total
funding for the stage 1 upgrade works stands at $284 million.
“Flood-ravaged communities across NSW deserve better from Luke Foley.
“This is a Labor spokesman who has actively spent the last week canvassing a scare
campaign to frighten flood-affected residents rather than working constructively to help those
in need.
“I suggest the spokesman follow the lead of members of the NSW Government – leave the
Sydney CBD confines, visit the State’s flooded communities and do something constructive to
help them rebuild their lives and localities,” Ms Hodgkinson said.
Media contact: Samantha Day – 0408 176 475 or Beth Stanford – 0417 802 943