ntnews.com.aul l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l WORLD Boat deaths spark fury TONY Abbott’s debut visit to Indonesia is set to be overshadowed by his government’s first asylum-seeker tragedy as a grieving family yesterday claimed it was ‘‘very angry’’ after losing two women, one pregnant, and 11 children in the capsizing. With the new Prime Minister leaving for high-level talks in Jakarta today amid controversy over his boats media blackout, the Government was yesterday scrambling to defend its handling of the rescue after claims it did not respond to initial distress calls. Accusations overshadow PM’s Jakarta visit As Lebanese media reported one of the female passengers was travelling to meet her groom in Australia, Melbourne man Ali Taleb revealed his pain over the loss of his two sisters and 11 related children, but declined to comment further as he was too upset. ‘‘We are still very angry at the death so I don’t want to comment much,’’ Mr Taleb told reporters. ‘‘But one of my sisters was pregnant, with an unborn baby as well as the 11 children on the boat.’’ Indonesian rescue teams were losing hope last night as another 30 to 50 asylumseekers were feared drowned from the boat that capsized on Thursday off Indonesia. A total of 28 survived but about 22, mostly children, were confirmed drowned. The tragedy has rocked Lebanese communities in Melbourne and Sydney where relatives of those on board had been awaiting their ar- rival, according to Victorian Lebanese Community Council head Michael Kheirallah. Mr Kheirallah said many Lebanese on board had come from a remote village, Abeit, in Lebanon’s north, after fleeing due to the deteriorating security situation in Syria. ‘‘There are at least five or six families affected by this tragedy, the majority in Melbourne as well as some in Sydney,’’ he said. As the Greens called for an inquiry into the incident, sur- vivors claimed they placed more than 10 calls to Australian authorities to alert them the boat was sinking. ‘‘The government cannot be allowed to use its media blackout to cover up the role of Australian authorities in this tragedy,’’ Refugee Action Coalition spokesman Ian Rintoul said. Immigration Minister Scott Morrison, breaking his vow of silence on boat arrivals outside of weekly briefings for the second time at the week- HOMES BLOWN UP Black day for Golden Dawn BAGHDAD: Violence that included attacks on security forces and their families has killed 14 people in Iraq, officials say. In Tarmiyah, north of Baghdad, militants blew up four houses belonging to police and soldiers as people slept inside, killing four, including a soldier, and wounding 15. ATHENS: Five lawmakers of the Greek neo-Nazi party Golden Dawn, including its founder Nikos Michaloliakos, will face charges of belonging to a criminal organisation, a court source said. The five, who were arrested Saturday along with 15 other Golden Dawn members in a massive police sweep, will remain in custody until their appearance before a magistrate, the source said. Police swooped on Mr Michaloliakos and his deputies 10 days after the murder of an anti-fascist musician, allegedly by a member of the Golden Dawn party, an act that shocked Greece. The Greek government coalition has been repeatedly accused of being too lenient with the neo-Nazis. DAMNING REPORT PRESCOTT: An investigation into the June deaths of 19 firefighters killed while battling an Arizona blaze has found a litany of problems stemming from inadequate radio communication. The report cited improperly programmed radios, vague updates, and a three-minute communication blackout just before the flames engulfed the men. The report said at the moment the firefighters were killed, an air tanker carrying fire retardant was hovering overhead, waiting for an update about their location. Skin cancer breakthrough HI-TECH DEFENCE LONDON: Britain is to set up a dedicated military unit to counter cyber attacks, the Defence Secretary announced as he issued a call for tech-savvy new recruits. The Ministry of Defence is looking to recruit hundreds of computer experts to help defend national security. STALEMATE ASSURED WASHINGTON: The US House of Representatives approved a controversial Republican measure that avoids a looming government shutdown but delays President Barack Obama’s healthcare law for one year. The Bill assures a stalemate with the Senate, whose Majority Leader Harry Reid said he would not pass legislation that defunded or delayed socalled ‘‘Obamacare’’, and brings the Federal Government closer to its first shutdown in 17 years. end, rejected the survivors’ claims of neglect. ‘‘Suggestions Australian authorities did not respond to this incident appropriately are absolutely and totally wrong,’’ he said. ‘‘The government completely rejects allegations of a 26-hour delay in response to this tragic incident by Australian agencies.’’ Mr Abbott and Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono will hold talks today, with asylum-seeker policy at the top of the agenda. Mr Abbott has recruited 20 of the biggest names in business to travel with him on his high-stakes visit. Rescuers managed to save 33 people from the building’s wreckage in the two-day search Picture: AFP Toll stands at 60 as rescue effort ends MUMBAI: The search for survivors at the site of a collapsed apartment building in India’s financial capital of Mumbai is over. An emergency response official said the final death toll was 60 people. Rescuers managed to save 33 people from the building’s wreckage in the twoday search. By yesterday morning, Alok Awasthi, local commander of the National Disaster Response Force, said all 93 people listed as missing had been accounted for and the search was called off. The five-storey building collapse on Friday was the third deadly cave-in of a Mumbai structure in six months. The cause is under investigation. High demand for housing around India’s crowded cities combined with lax inspections often result in contractors cutting corners by using substandard materials or adding unauthorised floors. LONDON: Skin cancer sufferers could be cured with new breakthrough drugs, experts claimed as they hailed the ‘‘beginning of a new era’’. Seriously ill patients are said to have seen ‘‘spectacular effects’’ after receiving the medication, which could eventually be used to combat other cancers. Until now the prognosis for advanced melanoma has been very poor and many patients die within months of diagnosis. Professor Peter Johnson, chief clinician at Cancer Research UK, said: ‘‘We’re just at the beginning of a new era of cancer treatments. ‘‘These drugs that can turn the body’s own defences against a tumour are starting to show promise.’’ Tackling Syria’s chemical weapons a daunting task for lean force NEW YORK: International chemical weapon troubleshooters will enter war-torn Syria tomorrow to start one of the biggest and most dangerous disarmament operations ever staged. With more than 1000 tonnes of sarin, mustard gas and other banned horror chemicals www.ntnews.com.au stocked across the country, the United Nations and the global chemical weapons watchdog have launched an urgent appeal for scarce experts to join the mission. Applicants must be ready to face mortal risks and an impossible deadline. UN leader Ban Ki-moon cal- led the operation ‘‘daunting’’ after the UN Security Council voted late last week to eliminate President Bashar alAssad’s chemical arms. The mission by the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons will run in parallel with a UN investigation into a huge sarin gas attack in Damascus in August and other suspected attacks. Final details of a US-Russia plan to dispose of stockpiles at an estimated 45 sites have still not been agreed on, UN diplomats said. Clean-ups of chemical nasties have been staged in Iraq and Libya, but never in the middle of a raging war. The UN said the Syrian conflict had already left more than 100,000 dead. Experts said the OPCW would need up to 200 inspectors for the Syria force. It currently has less than half that. The watchdog has had to appeal to the major powers to send scientists. Those who go will become a new target in the 30-monthold conflict and the strife means the noxious potions will have to be moved out of Syria to be destroyed. The US-Russia plan sets a target date of mid-2014 for completion, but few people believe it is achievable. Monday, September 30, 2013. NT NEWS. 11 PUB: By PATRICK LION WSNENT 11 GE: 30-S TE: R: LOK MDA Y C
© Copyright 2026 Paperzz