FRIDAY, 23rd SEPTEMBER 2005 VOL XXVIII NO. 187 (GGDN 024) Break-in ordeal for mother 3 Muharraq bars cattle on streets 5 Agatha Christie ‘Queen of Crime’! 20-21 200 Fils/2 Riyals India lifts ban on Nasrin BLAST KILLS SIX book 25 Iran warns of ‘fiery and destructive response’ TEHRAN: Iran yesterday showed off its ballistic missiles and warned any nation considering attacking it would face a “destructive and fiery” response. On show at an annual military parade were thousands of troops and a range of hardware including six of Iran’s Shahab-3 ballistic missiles – which sported banners saying “Death to America”, “We will crush America under our feet” and “Israel must be wiped off the face of the earth”. The event marked the start of “Sacred Defence Week” – the anniversary of the outbreak of an eight-year war with Iraq in 1980. Iran, meanwhile, hailed as a “significant victory” the European Union’s climbdown from its demand that the UN’s nuclear watchdog report the Islamic republic to the UN Security Council. Opposition from China, Russia, India and the Non-Aligned Movement stopped the EU sending Tehran to the highest UN body for possible sanctions over its nuclear programme. The EU dropped the demand from a revised draft resolution after nearly 15 of the 35 members of the Vienna-based International Atomic Energy Agency’s governing board, including China and Russia, opposed it. KEEPING BIRD FLU AT BAY ■Bomb suspect arrives in London MANAMA: Bahrain is ■ Issac is brought to the Ciampino airport in Rome screening imports of birds to make sure that potentially lethal bird flu does not enter the country, a top vet told the GDN yesterday. LONDON: One of the men suspected of trying to bomb three London subway trains and a bus on July 21 was extradited to Britain from Rome yesterday and arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to commit murder. Hussain Osman, a native of Ethiopia known in Italy as Hamdi Issac, was taken to the high-security Paddington Green police station in central London. The 27-year-old suspect, arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to commit murder, attempted murder and offences under the Explosive Substances Act, will appear at a top-security court in London today. The infectious disease, also known as “avian influenza”, can be transferred to humans through contact with live infected poultry. However, no cases of bird flu have yet been found here, said Dr Salman Ibrahim, acting director of wildlife at the Public Commission for the Protection of Marine Resources, Environment and Wildlife. The UAE has banned the import of aquatic Boy ‘hid in box to enter Bahrain’ MANAMA: A 17-year-old Yemeni boy is being held in custody after entering Bahrain by hiding inside a box in a lorry driven by an Asian across the King Fahad Causeway. The suspect, who claims he was only seeking medical treatment for old injuries, broke his leg shortly after entering the country last year, also illegally. He was later deported to Yemen after undergoing treatment. He left Sana’a on foot and headed to the Kharj area in Saudi Arabia where he worked as a farmer. He then left for Dammam, Eastern Province, where he spent 15 days before heading to the causeway on foot and slipping into Bahrain. He first headed to Isa Town, then returned to Manama on foot where he worked in a restaurant for 15 days before police rounded him up following a tip off, said a report in our sister paper Akhbar Al Khaleej. PLUS By RASHA AL QAHTANI certain rules and regulations,” said Dr Ibrahim. “We have to know where they are coming birds from Asia as part of measures to prevent a from and whether the country has any diseases in possible outbreak of bird flu. general. We have to know the whole background It also placed a temporary ban on the import of non-poultry wild birds and domestic birds from about where the animal is from.” Only then would an import licence be granted, he added. all Asian countries. “When birds or animals arrive in Bahrain they “Before any birds or animals enter the country, the person in charge of bringing them has to follow are taken immediately to quarantine, where they stay for a certain number of days according to the type of animal,” said Dr Ibrahim. “Then they undergo a number of tests to see whether they are fit to stay in Bahrain - if not they have to be put down immediately. “Bahrain has put these strict rules and regulations in place to prevent the spread of harmful diseases.” Bird flu viruses do not normally infect species other than birds and pigs, but killed six people in Hong Kong in 1997. This led to the destruction within three days of Hong Kong’s entire poultry population - around 1.5 million birds – to avoid a pandemic. Indonesia is now battling ■ Masked Palestinian Hamas militants parade during a rally in against the disease, which is the West Bank City of Ramallah to celebrate Israel's pullout from known to have killed at least the Gaza Strip. Group leader Hassan Yussef threatened to have four Indonesians since July Israeli soldiers kidnapped as bargaining chips for the release of and believed to have killed three children this week. Palestinian prisoners in Israeli jails. Full report – Page 2 ■ 11,000 complaints filed MANAMA: More than 11,000 complaints have been submitted over the past year to the Supreme Council for Women. Pleas for financial aid or housing units topped the grievances while more than 400 Bahraini wives married to foreign husbands sought nationality for their children, said grievances cell chief Farida Al Maskati. ■ Businessmen warn over reforms MANAMA: Several Bahraini businessmen have warned against possible negative impact of the proposed labour reforms. They claim Economic Development Board chief executive Shaikh Mohammed bin Isa Al Khalifa had failed to allay their fears regarding the high fees to be levied on companies employing expatriate workers. They also allege that the board had failed to entertain proposals by the Bahrain Chamber of Commerce and Industry to involve the private sector in such a challenging project. ■ Hurricane Rita downgraded MIAMI: The US National Hurricane Centre yesterday downgraded Hurricane Rita, which is heading for the US coast, to a category four storm, the second highest on the five level Saffir-Simpson scale. Meanwhile, Louisiana Governor Kathleen Blanco urged coastal residents to flee north as Rita barrelled across the Gulf of Mexico. She estimated that 300,000 to 500,000 people could end up evacuating. REALITY SHOW STAR FACES AXE – PAGE 4 ● WORLD-CLASS SWEET IDEA – PAGE 16 ● GERMAN TALKS FAIL – PAGE 23
© Copyright 2026 Paperzz