P2JW053000-4-A00700-1--------NS THE WALL STREET JOURNAL. * * * * Wednesday, February 22, 2017 | A7 NY WORLD NEWS Israeli Soldier Jailed for Killing Palestinian Sergeant is sentenced to 18 months in shooting death of disarmed attacker TEL AVIV—An Israeli soldier was sentenced by a military court to 18 months in prison for the shooting death of a disarmed Palestinian attacker, capping a trial that laid bare deep divisions in Israel about the role and responsibilities of soldiers serving in the occupied territories. The court on Tuesday also demoted the soldier, Sgt. Elor Azaria, to private, following his conviction last month of manslaughter in the death last year of Abdul Fattah Sharif in the West Bank city of Hebron. After Mr. Azaria’s sentence was read, members of his family in the courtroom sang Israel’s national anthem. A manslaughter conviction in Israel carries a maximum jail sentence of 20 years, but many had predicted Mr. Azaria would receive a shorter jail term. His lawyers are expected to appeal the sentence, amid demands by right-wing politicians that Israeli President Reuven Rivlin grant the soldier a pardon. The March 24, 2016, shooting of Mr. Sharif encapsulated JIM HOLLANDER/PRESS POOL BY RORY JONES Israeli soldier Elor Azaria was embraced by his mother at the start of his sentencing hearing at a military court in Tel Aviv on Tuesday. the dilemmas, confusion and uncertainty that often face Israeli soldiers in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, where they are deployed to stem violence, maintain control and protect about 400,000 Jewish Israeli settlers living among some 2.9 million Palestinians. Amid a monthslong wave of Palestinian attacks against soldiers and Jewish Israelis in the West Bank, Mr. Sharif and another Palestinian stabbed and wounded an Israeli soldier on the streets of in He- bron, and were then shot by Israeli troops. While his fellow attacker soon died, the 21-year-old Mr. Sharif lay wounded and incapacitated on the road, and Mr. Azaria, then 19 years old, fired into his head. The circumstances of the shooting—whether Mr. Azaria was justified in pulling the trigger—were the focus of a trial that riveted the country. Liberal politicians and senior officials of the Israeli military said Mr. Azaria’s actions ran counter to the values of what has been the country’s most revered institution. Pitted against them were many in the Israeli public and parliament who said soldiers operating under difficult conditions in the territories can’t and shouldn’t be held to so high a standard of restraint. Inside the courtroom, Mr. Azaria’s lawyers argued that he believed Mr. Sharif might have an explosive device and was still dangerous. The prosecutor said he shot Mr. Sharif out of a desire for revenge. The court agreed with the prosecution, ruling that Mr. Sharif posed no threat before he was killed. Judge Col. Maya Heller called Mr. Azaria’s testimony “evolving and evasive,” and said his motive for shooting “was that he felt the terrorist deserved to die.” Reactions to Mr. Azaria’s sentence on Tuesday showed the issues disputed in his trial were far from resolved. “Elor must not sit in jail, or we will all pay the price,” tweeted Naftali Bennett, leader of the right-wing Jewish Home party, who called for a pardon for Mr. Azaria. Yariv Oppenheimer, a board member of the nongovernmental organization Peace Now, tweeted that the sentence was “an embarrassing and lenient punishment.” BY HABIB KHAN TOTAKHIL AND EHSANULLAH AMIRI KABUL—Afghan security forces blockaded the country’s vice president inside his residence in the capital on Tuesday in a bid to compel him to cooperate with an investigation into charges that he and nine bodyguards kidnapped and sexually assaulted a rival. The move by Afghan authorities against the vice pres- ident, Abdul Rashid Dostum, raised fears of violence between government security forces and Mr. Dostum’s personal militia in the capital, which numbers up to 1,000 heavily armed men. In what has become a test of the government’s pledge to hold powerful politicians accountable, Mr. Dostum has refused an order by the attorney general to appear along with nine of his bodyguards for questioning involving the alleged assault of the rival, Ahmad Ishchi. Mr. Ishchi, a former governor of Jowzjan province, says he was held hostage, beaten and raped by the vice president with the barrel of an AK-47 in November at a game of buzkashi, Afghanistan’s national sport. The assault took place in Jowzjan, he says. An Afghan government spokesman said Mr. Dostum would be prevented from traveling to his office less than a mile away in the capital until the investigation into Mr. Ishchi’s allegations is completed. Mr. Dostum’s chief of staff, Bashir Ahmad Farahmand, said the decision by authorities to surround the vice president’s home was a surprise. He said he wasn’t certain if the Afghan forces involved in the blockade were “providing security or disrupting security.” MUSTAFA BAG/ANADOLU AGENCY/GETTY IMAGES Afghan Official Blockaded in Assault Case Vice President Abdul Rashid Dostum during a military operation in 2015. Security forces have blockaded him at home in Kabul.
© Copyright 2026 Paperzz