U.S. Troops Return to Yemen in Battle Against Al Qaeda, Penta... http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-troops-return-to-yemen-in-battl... This copy is for your personal, non-commercial use only. To order presentation-ready copies for distribution to your colleagues, clients or customers visit http://www.djreprints.com. http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-troops-return-to-yemen-in-battle-against-al-qaeda-pentagon-says-1462578535 WORLD | MIDDLE EAST U.S. Troops Return to Yemen in Battle Against Al Qaeda, Pentagon Says Move comes after U.S. pullout, embassy shutdown in 2015 Yemeni security forces look at smoke billowing from a controlled detonation of explosives laid by al Qaeda militants. The Pentagon said Friday that it sent a small number of U.S. special coalition forces back to Yemen to provide assistance to an Arab coalition fighting al Qaeda. PHOTO: AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE/GETTY IMAGES By GORDON LUBOLD and PAUL SONNE May 6, 2016 7:48 p.m. ET WASHINGTON—The Pentagon said Friday that it sent a small number of U.S. special operations forces back to Yemen to provide training and assistance to an Arab coalition to fight al Qaeda militants in the fractured country. Defense officials said about a dozen or so special operations forces are on the ground to assist United Arab Emirates special forces battle militants associated with al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, or AQAP, in Yemen. They said the deployment of forces, which began about two weeks ago, had helped Arab forces retake the port city of Mukalla, along the southern coast of Yemen. Since April 23, the Pentagon has conducted four counterterrorism strikes against AQAP, killing a total of 10 AQAP operatives and injuring one more, said Capt. Jeff Davis, a Pentagon spokesman. 1 of 4 11.05.16, 22:25 U.S. Troops Return to Yemen in Battle Against Al Qaeda, Penta... http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-troops-return-to-yemen-in-battl... The Pentagon is also providing other support for the operations, including airborne intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance capabilities, as well as “advice and assistance” for operational planning. The U.S. is also providing some maritime interdiction services, security, medical support and aerial refueling capabilities, according to Capt. Davis. AQAP, he said Friday at the Pentagon, “remains a significant security threat to the United States and to our regional partners, and we welcome this effort to specifically remove AQAP from Mukalla and to degrade, disrupt and destroy AQAP in Yemen.” “They do remain a significant threat to the region and to the United States,” Capt. Davis said. He said al Qaeda has a destabilizing effect on Yemen and is “using the unrest in Yemen to provide a safe haven from which to plan future attacks against the United States and its interests.” The U.S. for years had maintained a small American advisory force in Yemen to provide assistance to elements of the Yemeni military in its fight against AQAP. Those forces were removed more than a year ago after Yemen’s civil war broke out. The U.S. shut and evacuated its embassy in the capital of San’a in February 2015. The U.S. ambassador to Yemen, Matthew Tueller, has been working out of the American consulate in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, since last year. U.S. officials and service members departed Yemen hastily—some embassy officials had left their cars at the San’a airport with the keys still in the ignition. U.S. marines disabled their side arms and M4 assault rifles before leaving them with Yemeni officials so they could evacuate on a commercial aircraft. Some used sledgehammers to destroy the weapons and removed the bolts at the airport. Since then, the U.S. has maintained a tactical focus on AQAP targets. In March, the Pentagon announced it had conducted a “significant strike” against an AQAP training camp. Anthony Cordesman, a national security expert at the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington, said a low-level, surgical operation by U.S. troops against AQAP in Yemen could reassure Gulf allies, show that the U.S. wasn’t driven out of the country and send a message to both al Qaeda and Islamic State. Mr. Cordesman said any operation would carry an element of risk and the potential for things to go sour. “But it’s the kind of operation with maximum impact and minimum cost,” he said. 2 of 4 11.05.16, 22:25 U.S. Troops Return to Yemen in Battle Against Al Qaeda, Penta... http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-troops-return-to-yemen-in-battl... The U.S. has been backing the Saudi Arabia-led coalition in its campaign against the Houthi rebels with air resupply operations, intelligence and logistics support in the months since the Arab coalition intervened in the conflict starting in 2015. The Houthis adhere to an offshoot of Shiite Islam. Iran, also a Shiite country, supports the Houthi rebels but denies it has been supplying them with weapons. The chaos caused by the war created an opening for al Qaeda’s affiliate in Yemen to build strength in the country’s south. The Yemeni government and the Houthis are party to a cease-fire brokered by the U.N. earlier this year. But fighting has marred the peace agreement and progress toward a political settlement so far has stalled. If the cease-fire fully breaks down, ushering in a return to full-scale warfare, U.S. troops will be closer to the fight. For the cease-fire to transform into a lasting peace agreement, the Houthis likely would have to become a party to some kind of political power sharing agreement, but so far such an arrangement hasn’t materialized. “The bottom line here is that it means the U.S. is getting in deeper and deeper in Yemen, and that really requires that we have a political process in Yemen that puts together a government that works,” said Bruce Riedel, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution. “Otherwise, we’re going to sink into yet another civil war in the Middle East with a weak partner.” The Pentagon relies on existing legal authorities from the 2001 Authorization for Use of Military Force to conduct strikes against AQAP in Yemen. “Congress is being kept informed of our support for the coalition in the Mukalla effort, and of our unilateral [counterterrorism] strikes,” the Pentagon said in a statement Friday. The redeployment of troops in Yemen could bring another round of calls for the Obama administration to renew approval from Congress for its antiterror operations, including those against Islamic State, an organization that didn’t exist when the initial 2001 authorization was approved. Mr. Riedel called the redeployment in Yemen another example “of creeping expansion of the war against Islamic State and al Qaeda, with very little congressional oversight.” The White House has asked Congress to approve new authorities to go after Islamic State, but lawmakers have resisted, complaining that Mr. Obama’s proposals would limit action by U.S. forces. “To be fair to the administration, Congress has not been very eager to take on its responsibility,” Mr. Riedel said. “Nonetheless, Americans found out this 3 of 4 11.05.16, 22:25 U.S. Troops Return to Yemen in Battle Against Al Qaeda, Penta... http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-troops-return-to-yemen-in-battl... afternoon that American boots were on the ground in yet another country.” —Felicia Schwartz contributed to this article. Write to Gordon Lubold at [email protected] and Paul Sonne at [email protected] Copyright 2014 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved This copy is for your personal, non-commercial use only. Distribution and use of this material are governed by our Subscriber Agreement and by copyright law. For non-personal use or to order multiple copies, please contact Dow Jones Reprints at 1-800-843-0008 or visit www.djreprints.com. 4 of 4 11.05.16, 22:25
© Copyright 2026 Paperzz