Radio’s Journal of Record since 1984 — now online & updated daily at www.TheRadioJournal.com Wednesday, May 25, 2011 Scott Fybush - Editor [email protected] As Louisiana braces for more water, Joplin recovers from a devastating tornado – with radio’s help. It’s been a devastating spring down south, and broadcasters in Louisiana still aren’t out of the woods. As the Mississippi River continues to flow at record levels, New Orleans-market WFNO, Norco, LA (830) is keeping a wary eye on the situation around its towers, which sit in a swamp between the river and Lake Pontchartrain, west of the New Orleans airport. WFNO has remained on the air, fighting off threats to cut off power to the site due to flooding. The station’s three towers are elevated on 18-foot piers, and so far they’ve stayed high and dry, but access to the site has been limited and the station’s hoping for the best as water levels are predicted to stay at record levels for weeks to come. AP + In Missouri, radio warns, and avoids tragedy. The pictures from Joplin have been chilling — mile upon mile of devastation, with schools, homes and hospitals destroyed. But for the radio stations in Joplin, the storm could have taken an even worse path: the line of tornadoes went off to the city’s east side, and most of Joplin’s radio and TV studios and towers are on the slightly higher ground on the city’s west side. Zimmer Radio’s cluster, the largest in town, managed to get out a warning about 20 minutes before the storms began striking Sunday night. News-talk KZRG (1310) lost power to its transmitter site for part of Sunday, but its FM translator on 102.9 stayed on while Zimmer simulcast its programming on the other five signals in the cluster. With phone service and power out to much of the devastated city, Zimmer’s stations remained in simulcast mode after the storm passed through, providing many residents with their only reliable source of emergency information. Five employees at the Zimmer cluster lost their homes, but nobody there was hurt. One Joplin station is on the devastated east side: KXMS (88.7) at Missouri Southern State College barely escaped the path of the storms, losing power on Sunday night but returning to the air Monday, otherwise unscathed. After a high-profile AM-to-FM move, Alpha moves an FM to AM in Portland, Oregon. In March, Alpha Broadcasting began simulcasting news-talk KXL, Portland, OR (750) on the former KUFO-FM (101.1), a big class C facility. And with the talk format now firmly ensconced at KXL-FM, Alpha is repurposing the AM 750 facility. At 5:00 (PDT) tonight, Alpha will move its sports-talk format (including Portland Trailblazers games) from KXTG, Portland (95.5) over to the AM signal, which has full-market coverage with 50-kw days/20-kw nights. Moving “The Game” to AM will allow Alpha to launch a new format on the 95.5 FM signal, also a full-market class C with 97-kw/1266’. Wednesday, May 25, 2011 Page 2 of 3 News of the Week Washington State’s Andy Skotdal gets his new towers up. There’s nobody out there who’s been a more determined fighter for AM radio than Andy Skotdal, who’s spent millions of dollars in legal fees and years of his time to overcome no end of obstacles – including vandals who toppled his towers with a bulldozer – to build a new transmitter site for his KRKO, Everett, WA (1380) and his new construction permit, KKXA, Snohomish, WA (1520). After defeating the latest round of NIMBY opposition, Skotdal finally won permission to erect the two new towers needed for KKXA’s diplexed operation at the KRKO site, and the new self-supporting towers went into place there last week. The new 1520 signal is currently permitted for 20-kw days/50-kw nights, but Skotdal says he hopes to have it at 50-kw fulltime by the time he gets it on the air this summer as, he says, “likely to be the last new (AM) radio signal ever to go on the air in the Puget Sound basin.” Photo caption: Brian Gruhn of NorthStar Broadcast Contractors reaches for the new KKXA tower while Kim Johnson and Harvey Stacey wait to bolt the flanges. World doesn’t end…but Family Radio site is vandalized. Despite the high-profile prophesy of network founder Harold Camping that the end of the world would get underway Saturday with a worldwide Judgment Day, the day passed with little fanfare on Family Radio’s dozens of radio stations around the country, all of which were still operating the next day. Camping’s “Open Forum” producer Matt Tuter tells the Los Angeles Times that $25,000 worth of copper and air-conditioning units were stolen from the transmitter site of one of Family Radio’s Sacramento-market signals, KEBR, Rocklin, CA (1210) over the weekend. Tuter blamed the thefts on “an angry listener,” though as engineers well know, copper thefts at unmanned transmitter sites are all too common even without any apocalyptic predictions accompanying them. Fine time at the FCC. The Enforcement Bureau has been busy this month, writing up hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines against pirate broadcasters, and plenty of fines against licensed operators as well. Here’s just some of the latest action… +One owner, $49,000 in St. Louis-market fines. Entertainment Media Trust’s four stations in and around St. Louis drew the Enforcement Bureau’s attention, and the outcome proved to be expensive. FCC inspectors found one of the stations, KZQZ, St. Louis (1430, wasn’t switching from daytime to nighttime pattern or power. The station also hadn’t conducted its required equipment performance measurements, and its public files were incomplete, for a total fine of $23,000 - plus another $2,000 for several missing issues/ program lists in the public file of sister station KQQZ, De Soto, MO (1190). And then the inspectors also found missing public files at two more Entertainment Media stations, WQQW, Highland, IL (1510) and WQQX, East St. Louis, IL (1490). Those problems would normally have netted $10,000 in fines for each station, but the FCC upped the amount to $12,000 each ($24,000 total), citing its concern that “Entertainment Media Trust may have a systematic compliance issue” based on the problems at KZQZ and KQQZ. +No fence, no EAS, no public file, big fines. When FCC agents visited WIRJ, Humboldt, TN (740), they found plenty of problems: no fence around a hot AM tower, no EAS equipment, and no sign of a public file. What’s worse, an investigation found that the tower had been unfenced for at least a year and the public file had been non-existent for Wednesday, May 25, 2011 Page 3 of 3 News of the Week at least twice as long. Adding up all the standard fines for those problems ($7,000 for the missing fence, $8,000 for EAS and $10,000 for the public file) yields a $25,000 fine for owner John Warmath, as well as an FCC mandate for a signed statement that the station has been brought into compliance. To the north, Patrick Sickafus faces a $7,000 fine for broken fences and gates at two of the three towers of his WWSM, Annville-Cleona, PA (1510) following an FCC inspection there in May 2010. + No local studio nets a $21,000 fine in Texas. Last July, FCC agents went looking for the studio KVOZ, Del Mar Hills, TX (890) after observing that the station failed to power down from its 10-kw daytime power to its 1-kw nighttime directional facility. But they couldn’t find a main studio in Del Mar Hills, and a call to licensee Consolidated Radio’s home office in McAllen, Texas brought out a contract engineer who told the FCC that KVOZ was having transmitter problems and had been running 3-kw day and night for several months. A partial public file turned up at a private home in Laredo, the nearest large city to Del Mar Hills. By the time the FCC was done adding up fines, the total came to $21,000: $10,000 for the incomplete public file, $7,000 for the lack of a proper main studio and $4,000 for running overpower at night and underpower by day. The FCC’s Notice of Apparent Liability also directs Consolidated to certify that it has a proper main studio, public file and power-down schedule in place by June 15. + Plead your case, get a reduction in fines. The FCC is very specific about its conditions for reducing a fine: a station has to submit detailed financial records to even have a chance at getting its penalty knocked down. World Media Broadcast’s WCLM, Highland Springs, VA (1450) racked up $21,500 in proposed forfeitures after an FCC inspection found no working EAS unit or public file at the station’s studio in Richmond. World Media asked the FCC for a break, saying it had a clean record of compliance and had fixed the problem. The Commission never reduces a fine based on compliance after an inspection, and while it usually will reduce a fine slightly for a station with a clean record, it found WCLM’s violations too grave to be qualify as a “history of overall compliance.” But World Media also submitted several years’ worth of gross revenue data, and the FCC found those numbers compelling, reducing WCLM’s fine to $5,500. AM totals keep declining. The latest count of broadcast station totals from the FCC shows a net gain of just 13 broadcast licenses in the first quarter of 2011, from 30,630 to 30,643. But one category of stations keeps dropping: there are now 4,778 AM stations licensed, down by four from the last count at the end of December 2010. Licensed LPFMs held steady at 859, while commercial FMs (6,533) and translators (6,141) grew slightly. The big growth was at the noncommercial end of the radio dial: more than 100 new licenses and CPs were added since the start of 2011, bringing the total to 3,417. CANADA THIS WEEK — Two Montreal AMs may come back from the dead. It’s been more than a year since Corus shut down two of its 50,000-watt Montreal AM stations, CINF (690) and CINW (940), returning the stations’ licenses to the CRTC just before selling the rest of its Quebec station group to Cogeco. That sale included the remaining assets of CINF and CINW, most notably the stations’ transmitter site in Kahnawake, south of Montreal - and now Cogeco wants to bring those AM facilities back to life. Quebec’s provincial transport ministry (MTQ) is supplying $9 million in funding over three years to help pay for a pair of all-traffic stations, in French on 690 and in English on 940, to be operated by Cogeco in conjunction with the rest of its station group. Cogeco’s application to revive 690 and 940 will come before the CRTC at a hearing in July. Corus seeks Vancouver site change. The prime spot for FM and TV in western Canada’s biggest city is Mount Seymour, which rises just north of Vancouver, BC. But there are multiple broadcast sites scattered up the mountain’s flanks, and they’re not all created equal. Corus tells the CRTC that it’s having a hard time keeping CFOX (99.3) and CFMI (101.1) on the air from the high-elevation site on the mountain owned by Rogers. A fire at the site forced the stations down the mountain to their auxiliary site in 2010, and Corus says more problems with the master antenna at the Rogers site forced CFMI to move back to the auxiliary site in March. Now Corus wants to relocate CFOX and CFMI to the auxiliary site on a permanent basis. It’s much lower on the mountain (368.4 meters above average terrain, compared to 686 meters at the Rogers site), but Corus says an increase in power from 35.2-kw to 51-kw (average ERP, directional) would make up for most of the height decrease, maintaining the stations’ coverage of metro Vancouver. Copyright 2011. M Street Corporation. All rights reserved. No portion of the Radio Journal may be copied, faxed, retransmitted or reproduced in any form without written permission of the publishers. All efforts are made to report data as accurately as possible. Online updates are available by subscription. To subscribe, call 800-248-4242 or online at www.TheRadioJournal.com. Annual rate: $169. Scott Fybush, Editor. To advertise, call Gene McKay, General Manager, 800-640-8852 or Beth Dell’Isola, 770-831-4585.
© Copyright 2026 Paperzz