NATION Dr Death given 7 years Some patients despair over light jail sentence BRISBANE: The surgeon dubbed Dr Death could walk free in as little as three and a half years, sparking despair among some patients who suffered at his hands. Brisbane Supreme Court Justice John Byrne sentenced Patel to seven years’ jail for each of three manslaughter charges, and three years for one count of causing grievous bodily harm. The sentences are to be served Former Bundaberg surgeon Jayant Patel was sentenced yester- concurrently, meaning Patel will be day to seven years’ jail for killing eligible for parole after serving just three patients and permanently three-and-a-half years. The sentence sparked anger injuring a fourth. among some Patel patients, while others were jubilant, calling it the icing on the cake of Patel’s convictions handed down by a jury on Tuesday. The state opposition immediately called on Attorney-General Cameron Dick to appeal the sentence, calling it manifestly inadequate and far from what the community would expect. A spokesman for Mr Dick said he had no comment. Judy Kemps, who lost her husband Gerry Kemps after Patel operated on him, said it was just fine by her that Patel would spend years behind bars. ‘‘I’m very happy with the outcome. You couldn’t have wished for better,’’ she said. ‘‘For me the conviction was the main thing.’’ Mining deal close Policeman accused SYDNEY: A senior constable in NSW facing a sexual abuse charge has been accused of abusing a second victim 16 years ago. The police officer was suspended from duty last month when he was arrested over the sexual assault of a nine-year-old girl. But he was arrested for a second time shortly after 11am (AEST) yesterday over a second alleged assault in 1996. Chinese apple threat CANBERRA: Australia’s apple growers are angry authorities have allowed Chinese imports while an inquiry into the risks is still under way. The Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service (AQIS) announced on Wednesday that Chinese apples could come to Australia under strict conditions. But apple growers were outraged by the decision, saying it leaves Australia exposed to a Chinese fruit fly, Drosophila suzukii. Tot falls from train BRISBANE: A Far North Queensland toddler has broken her collarbone after falling from a moving train. The three-year-old girl landed on the tracks at about 3.35pm (AEST) on Wednesday. Another child alerted their father and he stopped the train with the safety chain 2km from Kuranda Railway Station, north of Cairns. Despicable pervert guilty SYDNEY: David Shane Whitby was naked as he turned directly to the camera and in a childlike voice boasted: ‘‘I love to molest children.’’ His confessional video was part of the Sydney disc jockey’s horrific collection, which depicted him sexually abusing eight children, including a screaming baby, over a 10-year period. Despite the 56-year-old’s contention that a look-alike acquaintance was the culprit, Judge Peter Berman has concluded Whitby is the man depicted in the videos. The NSW District Court judge, who heard the trial without a jury, found Whitby guilty of 120 sex offences. Sentencing submissions will take place in September. Fine for setting teen alight MELBOURNE: A Yarra Valley man was convicted yesterday for setting an apprentice alight in a sickening workplace attack. Matthew Lever (pictured), 23, was one of three apprentices who sprayed brake cleaner on fellow diesel mechanic apprentice Daniel Bridgborn ‘‘for a laugh’’. The Ringwood Magistrates’ Court heard the victim, who was 17 at the time, spent a week at The Alfred hospital burns unit. Magistrate Kate Hawkins convicted Lever and fined him $5000 plus $1000 in legal costs. Three nabbed in dawn raid MELBOURNE: Three members of an alleged Melbourne crime family have been arrested in relation to the drive-by shooting of a teenager, after early morning police raids yesterday. Family members and friends clashed with police before Macchour Chaouk, aged 64, and two of his sons, Omar and Waleed, were arrested on alleged weapons, drugs and fraud offences. One of the sons clashed repeatedly with a plainclothes policewoman, abusing and threatening to assault her. The family’s hostility towards police goes back to the fatal shooting of another son by a police officer during a raid in 2005. The raid was in response to the shooting on June 6 of 18-year-old Sam Haddara. BY ORDER OF THE FEDERAL COURT OF AUSTRALIA On 01/07/2010, the Federal Court of Australia declared that Alvaton Pty Ltd trading as Cut Price Imports (CPI) had engaged in conduct that contravened the Trade Practices Act 1974 (TPA) when it supplied products that did not comply with a prescribed consumer product safety standard. Following proceedings commenced by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC), the Federal Court has declared that, CPI contravened section 65C of TPA when it supplied 780 Bao Bei (Zhiyue) key rattles item code: TOY9206 (Key Rattles) and 9366 Smile Bear (Bear with Keys) baby rattles item code: TOY9201 (Smile Bear Rattles) to retailers for sale to consumers, in circumstances where the Key Rattles and Smile Bear Rattles did not comply with the prescribed as a consumer product safety standard AS/NZS ISO-8124-1:2002 Safety of Toys Part 1 (Standard). Tests conducted on both rattles revealed that they were found to contain parts constituting a choking and suffocation hazard. The Key Rattle was also found to break apart causing an inhalation/ingestion hazard. The Key Rattles were supplied to retail outlets in Australia between April 2009 and August 2009. The Smile Bear Rattles were supplied to retail outlets in Australia between April 2006 and September 2009. Both products were later recalled from the market. CPI was ordered to institute a Trade Practices Act compliance programme, pay ACCC costs, and to publish this notice. Consumers should immediately remove either rattle from young children and return the product to its place of purchase for a full refund. For further information please telephone CPI on (08) 9470 9322. This advertisement has been paid for by CPI. www.ntnews.com.au er010504/10 Northern Territory News, Friday, July 2, 2010 — 11 C M YK PAGE: 11 COLOR: MELBOURNE: It’s fair to say the Revolutionary Socialist Party doesn’t have a huge presence in Canberra. But it has taken the strategic step of putting up Kevin Rudd’s nephew to run against new prime minister Julia Gillard in her safe Labor seat of Lalor. Van Thanh Rudd, 37, is the son of Kevin Rudd’s older brother Malcolm and a Vietnamese mother. He says he’s not afraid of using his family connection. SYDNEY: Rescue workers will resume their search today for an Estonian backpacker missing from a Sydney beach. The belongings of Pirjo Kukk, 28, were found by lifeguards on Elouera Beach at Cronulla in the city’s south on Wednesday. Ms Kukk, who had been camping at the beach, has not been seen since Tuesday. An air, land and sea search was launched yesterday between Kurnell and Port Hacking. Police were looking at a number of scenarios, including the possibility Pirjo was unaware she had been reported missing. ‘‘There is also the possibility that she has gone for a walk or swim and got into difficulty or that she might have met with foul play,’’ said Acting Superintendent Jenny Hayes. The search was called off yesterON THE LOOKOUT: Police in Sydney’s south yesterday stepped up their search for Estonian backpacker day afternoon and was scheduled Pirjo Kukk (inset), who disappeared while camping on a Cronulla beach to resume this morning. DATE: 2-JUL-2010 Rudd to run for Lalor Search on for missing backpacker PUB: NT NEWS CANBERRA: Julia Gillard looks set to announce a deal with miners on the resources tax as early as today, ending a two-month fight that threatened Labor’s re-election chances. The prime minister spent yesterday attending the funeral of fallen soldier Ben Chuck in north Queensland as her deputy Wayne Swan and Resources Minister Martin Ferguson were in Canberra finalising negotiations with BHP Billiton, Rio Tinto and Xstrata. The government is understood to have offered concessions to the mining industry as Ms Gillard strives to have a deal ready. RELIEF: Ex-patient Beryl Crosby (right), and Judy Kemps, wife of victim Gerry, are pleased with the result of the Jayant Patel trial
© Copyright 2026 Paperzz