Federal Ministry of Justice DAILY NEWSPAPERS REVIEW FRIDAY FEBRUARY 17, 2017 We’ve not been queried by AGF – CBN - Daily Trust pg.7, Nation pg.1 The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) yesterday said the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN), did not query the apex bank over infractions in forex allocations. CBN was reacting to a report that its governor, Godwin Emefiele, was queried by the AGF over several petitions bordering on corruption in forex deals and “questionable exchange rate policy.” Diezani loses N34bn to FG - Daily Trust pg.1, Nation pg.1, Sun pg.6, Punch pg.38 A federal judge in Lagos yesterday ruled the sum of $153 million (N34 billion) linked to a former Petroleum Minister Mrs Diezani Allison-Madueke be forfeited to the Federal Government. Justice Muslim Sule Hassan of Federal High Court ruled in favour of the anti-graft agency, the EFCC, which last month filed a forfeiture request. N388.3b refund probe sets governors against Magu - Nation pg. 1, Daily Trust pg.12, Sun pg.9, Punch pg.7, ThisDay pg1 Governors have joined the battle to stop Ibrahim Magu from becoming Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) chairman. Some of them are ganging up with some senators who are opposed to Magu’s renomination, The Nation learnt yesterday. Nigeria’s debt profile now N17.3tr – DMO - Daily Trust pg.3, Nation pg.12, Sun pg.6 The Debt Management Office (DMO) yesterday said the country’s total public debt stock comprising external and domestic borrowing of the Federal Government, 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) is now $57.39billion equivalent to N17.36 trillion. The Director-General of the DMO, Dr. Abraham Nwankwo released the figure when he appeared before the Senate Committee on Local and Foreign Debt, chaired by Senator Shehu Sani (APC, Kaduna) for budget defence. He said the figure was for December 31st 2016. Reps reject ministry’s N6.97bn budget - Daily Trust pg.7, Nation pg.11, Sun pg.13 A House of Representatives committee yesterday turned down the N6.97 billion 2017 budget proposal for the ministry of communications for lack of details. The committee on communications chaired by Rep Saheed Fijabi (APC, Oyo) said during budget defence that it would only consider the proposal after a careful assessment of all the projects proposed in the details. No receipts for N13bn diverted by ex-NAF chief –Witness - Punch pg.12 A former Director of Finance and Accounts of the Nigerian Air Force, Air Commodore Salisu Yishau (retd.), on Thursday, gave reasons why there were no documents and receipts for the money allegedly diverted from the account of NAF by a former Chief of Air Staff, Air Chief Marshal Mohammed Umar (retd.), in 24 months. Yishau, testifying as the first prosecution witness in Umar’s trial, had told Justice Nnamdi Dimgba of the Federal High Court in Abuja on Monday how he allegedly helped the ex-Air Force chief to divert the sum of N558.2m monthly from NAF’s account between October 2010 and September 2012. Appeal court decides Makarfi, Sheriff’s fate today - Daily Trust pg.41, ThisDay pg.52 The leadership crisis rocking the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) for some time now may come to an end today as the Court of Appeal in Port Harcourt decides who the authentic national chairman of the party is. Senators Ahmed Makarfi and Ali Modu Sheriff have tested their legal muscles through various litigations in many courts in Lagos, Abuja and Port Harcourt, with each getting favourable orders and directives with the attendant effect on stability in the party. Court grants Amosun, others time - Nation pg.40 An Ogun State High Court in Abeokuta, the state capital, has granted more time to Governor Ibikunle Amosun, attorney – general and commissioner for Works to file their responses to a motion for an Order of Mandamus to provide information about road projects awarded since May 29, 2011. The exparte motion was brought before Justice Mobolaji Ojo by M.O. Wawah on behalf of Arabambi Abayomi (State Chairman, Labour Party), Oginni Olaposi (State Secretary), Mrs Olufunmilayo Oginni (State Chairman, Unity Party of Nigeria) and Sabur Aroyewun. Why allocation to Ekiti was delayed – Ministry - Daily Trust.pg.7, Sun pg12, Punch pg.11, ThisDay pg.51 The Federal Government has denied withholding statutory allocation due to Ekiti State or any other state in the country. The Ministry of Finance in statement yesterday described as incorrect the claim by Ekiti State Governor Ayodele Fayose that the ministry withheld allocation to the state. Buhari fit as a fiddle – Dogara - Punch pg.38 The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Mr. Yakubu Dogara, said on Thursday that he met President Muhammadu Buhari fit in London. Dogara, the President of the Senate, Bukola Saraki, and the Leader of the Senate, Ahmed Lawan, had paid Buhari a visit in London on Wednesday. Ozekhome Asks Court to Vacate Order Freezing His Account - ThisDay pg.51, Sun pgs. 4&5 Human rights lawyer, Chief Mike Ozekhome (SAN), has asked the Federal High Court in Lagos to vacate the order freezing his account. Justice Abdulazeez Anka on February 7, ordered a temporary forfeiture of N75million found in Ozekhome’s Guaranty Trust Bank account. The order followed an application by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), which prayed the court to freeze Ozakhome’s account temporarily on the grounds that the N75 million was suspected to be proceeding of crime.
© Copyright 2026 Paperzz