36 | Friday April 29, 2016 | DAILY NATION BUSINESS SAMSUNG PROFIT UP Early release of the electronic giant’s Galaxy phone helps firm achieve great results PAGE 37 Mining report (From left) businessman Aly Khan Satchu, Base Titanium Limited general manager Joe Schwarez, Base Titanium Managing Director Tim Carsten and Mining Cabinet Secretary Dan Kazungu during the release of mining firm’s report at the Serena Hotel in Nairobi yesterday. The report said the country’s mining potential is enormous. SALATON NJAU | NATION Energy> Explorer to focus on developing fields in areas where discoveries have been made Tullow ups oil reserves estimates in Turkana to one billion barrels British firm renews efforts to find more fields after recently cutting on capital outlays on low crude prices BY ALLAN ODHIAMBO [email protected] U K’s Tullow Oil has raised estimates of reserves in Turkana to a billion barrels and targets to resume exploration to consolidate recoverable oil ahead of next year when Kenya plans crude exports. The firm had heavily cut back on exploration activity within the basin on the effects of low global oil prices and instead focused on evaluating already drilled wells to lower pressure on its work budget. “The group continues to review options for re-starting the exploration campaign in this basin to de-risk the overall upside potential of 1 billion barrels,” Tullow said yesterday even as it raised its recoverable oil estimates in Kenya by 25 per cent to 750 million barrels. Tullow with its partners Africa Oil and A.P. Moller-Maersk had previously put recoverable reserves within the South Lokichar basin at 600 million barrels. “Ongoing assessment of recently completed South Lokichar appraisal programme in Kenya indicates potential to increase recoverable resources up to 750 million barrels with further exploration potential supporting an upside of 1 bil- The group continues to review options for re-starting the exploration campaign in this basin to de-risk the overall upside potential of 1 billion barrels,” Tullow statement lion barrels,” it said. Kenya has expanded the area targeted for exploration on blocks 10BB and 13T following the recent discovery of oil in three fields within the Lake Turkana basin. An update by the Energy ministry’s Petroleum Directorate said the move follows discoveries in Etuko, Ewoi and Ekunyuk prospects—making up the nine finds for the proposed field development plan area in the South Lokichar basin. The British firm in March announced an additional discovery of potential oil reserves in the Cheptuket-1 well in the Kerio Valley Basin, which could mean opening up a second oil basin for development in the country south of finds already made. Tullow said it will focus on developing the oil wells, buoyed by higher reserve estimates and a decision by Kenya to build its own crude pipeline. “Tullow will now work with the Government of Kenya and our partners on a range of options for the independent development of these resources including early production using existing infrastructure, which would provide valuable reservoir data ahead of a full field development with an export pipeline” the explorer said. Kenya is considering moving its crude oil to Mombasa by road and railway as part of an “early harvest” programme. The Energy ministry has offered Rift Valley Railways a contract to move the oil over a distance of more than 800 kilometres from Eldoret to Mombasa. Energy and Petroleum Cabinet Secretary Charles Keter told a parliamentary committee that the country targeted to start exporting 2,000 barrels of crude oil per day by rail and road as it awaits the completion of a planned oil pipeline linking Lokichar to Lamu through Isiolo. Family Bank opts for insider to replace chief executive BY BRIAN NGUGI Family Bank has appointed an insider to succeed outgoing chief executive Peter Munyiri. Mr David Thuku, the new boss has been the lender’s director of retail banking since 2013. He takes over from Mr Munyiri who has been at the helm of the financier for five years and is set to leave in June when his contract expires. “Mr Thuku’s appointment heralds the bank’s renewed consumer-focused initiatives that are aimed at providing unparalleled banking products and services. We are certain that Mr Thuku will offer his vast experience and together with our competent management team and staff, propel the bank to even greater heights, “ said Family Bank Chairman Wilfred Kiboro in a statement yesterday. Held senior positions Mr Thuku, a career banker, held several senior positions over a period of two decades prior to joining Family Bank. He had stints at Standard Chartered Bank and Barclays Bank where he worked in various depart- ments including investment management, project management, product and sales innovation, secured lending and business banking. “The new CEO will be charged with steering Family Bank’s strategy by positioning the lender as a one-stop-shop providing a combination of retail and consumer products, SME, corporate banking as well as trade finance products,” said the statement. Mr Kiboro praised Mr Munyiri’s leadership provided during his tenure, saying he spearheaded a successful expansion and growth strategy. BRIEFLY BANKING Imperial Bank lobby pushes for end to suits A lobby group pushing for quicker payment of large account deposits still held at the collapsed Imperial Bank has called on fellow depositors to avoid filing multiple lawsuits that may delay payment of their cash. The IBL Depositors Lobby Group has more than 2,000 members, mainly business owners whose accounts hold more than the Sh1 million maximum that Central Bank of Kenya (CBK) has authorised the Kenya Deposit Insurance Corporation (KDIC) to pay out to account holders of the bank. Its call comes in the wake of a case filed by Mombasa-based billionaire Ashok Doshi and his wife Amit Doshi against CBK and Imperial Bank seeking to stop the use of rival banks to pay the collapsed bank’s small depositors. -Charles Mwaniki ALCOHOL Diageo bags Sh1.78bn dividend from brewer Multinational brewer Diageo is set to walk away with approximately Sh1.78 billion from the special dividends that its subsidiary East African Breweries Limited has declared from the sale of its glass-making business. The regional brewer has announced a special payout of Sh4.50 a share which will see Diageo, which owns 50.03 per cent of the brewer (395.6 million of the firm’s issued shares) get a tidy payout. East African Breweries sold off Central Glass Industries to South Africa’s Consol Glass in September for Sh4.5 billion, having told its shareholders that the money would go towards reducing existing debt and investing in its core business. The brewer has now changed its position, opting to wire a majority of this divestiture windfall to its stockholders, with roughly Sh900 million now expected to be used to settle a debt it owes its parent company. — Mugambi Mutegi ENERGY Kenya drops 700MW gas plant set up plan Kenya has dropped plans to construct a 700-megawatt (MW) natural gas power plant near Mombasa, fearing excess supply would lead to expensive electricity bills for homes and businesses. The Energy ministry reckons that the plant could leave the country with excess power, forcing consumers to pay for capacity charges on idle machines in what could reverse the quest to deliver cheaper electricity. The gas-powered power plant was part of the government’s plan to add 5,000 megawatts to Kenya’s existing 2, 294 MW generation capacity in the push to diversify power sources. Peak demand for electricity is currently at about 1, 600 megawatts, leaving the country with nearly 700 MW of excess power. — Neville Otuki
© Copyright 2026 Paperzz