ntnews.com.aul l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l NEWS Course in croc catching A COURSE in saltwater crocodile catching is now being offered to men and women across the country. But only six applicants will be selected to take part in the intense five-week training course which will be made into a ABC documentary series called Croc College. Led by Queensland croc legend John Lever, the students will be taught how to restrain large crocodiles, safely raid nests, treat sick crocodiles and to interpret their behaviour. ABC TV’s Head of Factual Jennifer Collins said: ‘‘Once you’ve tackled a fully grown salty, I can imagine you’d be ready to tackle anything that comes your way.’’ The project aims to collect and store sperm from wild, male crocodiles caught in the Northern Territory in an effort to artificially inseminate female crocodiles on Mr Lever’s Queensland farm. No apologies for builder’s clients Driver’s costly ‘mistake’ Businessman Tony Whear outside court after charges against him were dropped last week By NIGEL ADLAM A BUSINESSMAN with connections to the Hells Angels yesterday shrugged off complaints he had left a family with a half-built house. Tony Whear, 36, said he didn’t care what people thought about him. He said the $430,000 property was being built by Eco Housing, a company that had gone into liquidation. ‘‘It’s got nothing to do with me. It’s not my company.’’ But Mr Whear later admitted that he was Eco Housing’s majority shareholder and had personally dealt with debtors. Katherine Community Radio station manager Jon Raynor and his wife Annette paid the company for the three-bedroom house to be built to lock-up stage. But they told the NT News that the roof, doors and windows hadn’t been fitted. Mr Raynor said dealing with Mr Whear’s company had been a ‘‘nightmare’’. ‘‘It makes me very angry,’’ he said. ‘‘We’ve heard nothing from them for months.’’ Eco Housing and other companies controlled by Mr Whear owe money to Darwin and Katherine businesses. Craig and Paula Hohn, of Katherine’s Hohn Metaland, said they were owed more than $11,000 for materials. They were owed more but went to a building site to take back some of their goods. And Glen Miller, of GM Plumbing, said he was owed $5500. The Director of Public Prosecutions last week dropped charges against Mr Whear that he was an accessory after the fact to the hit-and-run death of Levi ‘‘Leafy’’ Griffiths as there was not enough evidence to proceed. ‘‘It is absolutely police harassment,’’ Mr Whear said. ‘‘They never had anything in the first place.’’ He said his family raised $10,000 for bail and thousands of dollars more was spent on lawyers. He now wants to sue police for damage to his reputation. Mr Whear’s employee, Nicholas Frank Cassidy, is a member of the Hells Angels, and has been charged over Mr Griffiths’ death. Darwin theft Health grants Bash charge POLICE need help to find two men who targeted a sex shop and massage parlour in Darwin’s CBD. One man repeatedly punched a female worker, 50, in the face at Li Li Massage Centre, on Edmunds St, demanding money about 6.30pm on Saturday. A second man entered The Love Shop, also on Edmunds St, earlier that evening but walked away empty handed. The first man is described TERRITORY researchers have won more than $17 million in grants through a national initiative. The National Health and Medical Research Council awarded 17 grants — valued at $17.6 million — to the Menzies School of Health Research. More than 60 per cent of Territory grant applications were selected for funding — a higher success rate than other states and www.ntnews.com.au as Caucasian, 20 to 24 years old, about 165cm tall, slim build, clean shaven and with short, light-browncoloured hair. The second man is described as Aboriginal, 20 to 24 years old, about 168cm tall and of medium to chubby build. Police urge anyone who may have witnessed any suspicious behaviour in the area to phone 131 444 or 1800 333 000. territories. Menzies researcher Professor Ross Andrews received $2.5 million to determine whether babies are protected if their mother has a flu vaccination during pregnancy. School director Professor Jonathan Carapetis said the funding went to four fellowships and other research projects. More than 1100 research projects were given funding as part of the initiative. A MAN has been committed to stand trial in the Supreme Court for allegedly bashing a Darwin store owner and stealing more than $2000 during a robbery. Shane Noble, 19, appeared in Darwin Magistrates Court charged over the alleged robbery of the Douglas St Supermarket in Parap on June 30. His lawyer, Fiona Kepert, told magistrate John Lowndes that Noble is ex- pected to plead guilty in the NT Supreme Court. Prosecutor Sandy Lau said Noble was identified as one of three alleged offenders by a photo board and admissions by one of his alleged co-offenders. Two other men, John Wheeler and Russell Standley Williams, will appear in Darwin Magistrates Court next week. Noble will appear in a higher court in December. Tuesday, October 18, 2011. NT NEWS. 7 PUB: A MAN caught driving ‘‘erratically’’ in Darwin with four times the legal alcohol limit was fined more than $1000 yesterday. Spencer Smith pleaded guilty in Darwin Magistrates Court to high-range drink-driving, speeding and careless driving. Prosecutor Sergeant Andrew Dudley told magistrate Tanya Fong Lim Smith was seen ‘‘narrowly avoiding a collision’’ by police at the McMillans Rd turn-off on Bagot Rd. Sgt Dudley said Smith was detected driving at 30km/h over the speed limit before being pulled over by police in Jingili. He returned a blood alcohol concentration of 0.201 per cent. Smith told the court he had made a ‘‘big mistake’’ and had no excuses. ‘‘I did not have my wits about me,’’ he said. Ms Fong Lim fined Smith $1200 plus l $160 for costs and disqualified him from driving for 12 months. WSNE7NT GE: 18-O TE: R: LOK MDA CY C
© Copyright 2026 Paperzz