Dunn Daily Record: 11/18/15 Groups Say School Board Actions Creating Segregated Schools By TOM WOERNER Of The Record Staff A coalition of civil rights leaders and concerned residents announced in a press conference Tuesday a complaint was filed with the U.S. Department of Education Office of Civil Rights against Harnett County Schools. The conference was within eyesite of the building where the school board has, in what the coalitions says, voted to “intentionally maintain a racially isolated” student population at Dunn Middle School. John Smith Sr., co-chair of the Citizens for Harnett Educational Fairness, or CHEF, spoke on behalf of his organizationand the North Carolina NAACP on the grounds of the Lillington Education Complex where the school board meets. He announced the filing of a federal Title VI complaint. The complaint alleges that the school system has failed to take action to eliminate unusually high populations of minority students at Dunn Middle,Wayne Avenue and Harnett Primary schools where passage rates of End-Of-Grade exams has fallen. Specifically, at Dunn Middle School, the minority population is 47 percent African-American and 29 percent white. The total minority population, includingSee Complaint, Page 3 Continued From Page One Hispanics and any other group, is 69 percent compared to a 44 percent minority population of school children across the county. The actual population of the county is 33 percent minority. The action is supported by the state NAACP. Mr. Smith read a statement from state NAACP President the Rev. Dr. William Barber II. “The Harnett County Board of Education has chosen to continue to advance a student reassignment plan that maintains and contributes to racial inequalities within its schools system,” Rev. Barber said. “African-American students and their families are being injured and we will not stand for that. The NAACP was formed for the purposes of standing against injustice and today we endorse and stand in full support of the Title VI claim filed against the Harnett County School Board of Education.” Mr. Smith said he hopes the action will result in a more equal education system. “We are hopeful intervention by the Office of Civil Rights will assist the board in moving forward to ensure all schools in Harnett County have equal access to educational resources by implementing an effective student reassignment plan that addresses the racial isolation of African- American students in Dunn and the poor, and unsafe, utilization of middle schools facilities,” Mr. Smith said. Mr. Smith was referring in his comments to the overcrowding situation at Harnett Central Middle School. Redistricting plans, which were rejected by the Harnett County School Board, would have reduced the student population at Harnett Central Middle School. The building is over capacity — having approximately 1,150 students in a building designed for 950 students. Meanwhile, there are open seats at Coats-Erwin Middle, estimated at 134, and an estimated 246 at Dunn Middle. There is also an estimated 264 open seats at Western Harnett Middle. Despite being over capacity, the parents of Harnett Central Middle children who have spoken at forums want their children to stay at Harnett Central Middle. He noted that on two occasions the board has redistricted schools in the western part of the county without addressing the situation in the central and eastern parts of the county. Enlarging Center Middle Instead of redistricting, the school board voted to look at enlarging Harnett Central Middle School. That vote was taken without members Ray Bryant or Vivian Bennett voting. Board Chairman Bill Morris called for a vote and when he, Howard Penny and Chad Smith voted for it, he announced the measure passed. Mr. Bryant and Mrs. Bennett later said they would have voted against the construction plan for Harnett Central Middle School if they had been given the opportunity. This is included in the complaint. Mr. Smith also noted other factors including the highest teacher turnover rate in the county at Dunn Middle School at 33 percent. The complaint also cites a school board vote that prohibited students from transferring out of Dunn Middle School. Students are now only able to transfer out of Dunn Middle School in extremehardships. The complaint alleges schools with higher minority populationsoften get less resources than other schools and have less rigorous college preparation programs. It seeks remedies for what he called the intentional discriminatory actions. School Board Chairman Bill Morris referred questions on the complaint to Harnett County Schools Public Relations Director Patricia Harmon- Lewis who issued a statement: “We have not officially been given the information sent out to media outlets,” Mrs. Harmon-Lewis said. “It will be reviewed by attorneys and it will be addressed at that time.” There was no one from the school system present at Tuesday’s press conference. Attorneys for North Carolina Center for Civil Rights are representing the NAACP and CHEF. The complaint against the schools is a 30-page document plus 22 pages of attached exhibits. The attached exhibits consist of resolutions of support for redistricting that were passed by both the City of Dunn and the Dunn Area Chamber of Commerce. $40,000 On Committee The proposed plans of a special reassignment committee was also included as an attachment. The school board rejected the plans after the committee spent many meetings coming up with it. The school board also spent $40,000 of taxpayer money to pay for the facilitator for the meetings. There is also a resolution in opposition to the redistricting plan passed by the Dunn School Advistory Committee. That committee notes that high minority population has been an ongoing problem in Dunn schools, but that it has gotten worse in the last 10 years. The complaint says the school system falls under federal regulations because it receives financial resources from the U.S. Department of Education. For the fiscal year that ended on June 30 of 2014, the school district received more than $21 million in federal funds. The complaint asks that the “discriminatory acts” be remedied. Charles Blue, father of a Harnett Primary third-grader, was one of among close to 100 in attendance. “I am worried about the disparity for when my daughter gets to Dunn Middle School and how she will be ready when she gets to Triton High School,” Mr. Blue said. “It’s about time,” Dunn Council member Billy Barfield said. “The school board has not done the job they were supposed to do. The board needs to realize this is a serious thing for our children. All children need to learn.” Some others in attendance were Harnett County NAACP President Carolyn McDougal, Dunn Council member Buddy Maness, Dunn Chamber Vice President Tammy Williams, Harnett County Board of Elections member Tony Spears and CHER Co-Chair Parrish Daughtry. “I am worried about the disparity for when my daughter gets to Dunn Middle School and how she will be ready when she gets to Triton High School.” — Charles Blue, father of a Harnett Primary third-grader John Smith Jr., vice chairman of the Citizens for Harnett Education Fairness, announces in a press conference in Lillington Tuesday afternoon the UNC Center for Civil Rights has filed a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education Office of Civil Rights against Harnett County Schools. The complaint says the school board has avoided chances to redistrict, in particular the middle schools in the central and eastern part of the county, resulting in an increasing minority student population in the Dunn schools (Dunn Middle is at 69 percent) as test scores fall.
© Copyright 2026 Paperzz