10 WORLD MONDAY SEPTEMBER 29 2014 Jihadists vow reprisals for air strikes Police to charge beheading accused DAMASCUS: The al-Nusra Front, al-Qaeda’s Syrian franchise, has threatened reprisals against nations participating in air strikes against the Islamic State, denouncing them as “a war against Islam”. Group spokesman Abu Firas al-Suri said in a video posted online that the states involved had “committed a horrible act that is going to put them on the list of jihadist targets throughout the world.” The warning came as the US-led coalition widened its air strikes against the IS group in Syria and as British warplanes flew their first antijihadist combat missions over neighbouring Iraq. Washington has been supported in its Syria campaign by Arab allies Bahrain, Jordan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates. Seven targets were hit in Syria, the Pentagon said. These included the border crossing into Turkey of the besieged Kurdish town of Ain al-Arab, also known as Kobane. Muhsin al-Fadhli, a longstanding al-Qaeda operative and alleged leader of Khorasan, was killed in the strikes, according to a jihadist who fought with the group. OKLAHOMA CITY: Police say a man who was shot after allegedly beheading a woman at an Oklahoma food processing plant, from which he had just been fired, has regained consciousness and will be charged with first-degree murder. Police Sergeant Jeremy Lewis said on Saturday that 30-year-old Alton Nolen remains hospitalised in a stable condition. He said Nolen had regained consciousness and investigators had interviewed him. Sgt Lewis said Nolen would be charged today with first-degree murder and assault and battery with a deadly weapon and he could also face federal charges. Authorities said Nolen severed the head of 54-year-old Colleen Hufford during Thursday’s attack at the Vaughn Japanese volcano rains ash and death By MARI YAMAGUCHI TOKYO: Rescue workers have found 30 or more people unconscious and believed to be dead near the peak of an erupting volcano in central Japan, local government and police said. Nagano prefecture posted on its website that about 30 people had heart and lung failure, the customary way for Japanese authorities to describe a body until police doctors can examine it. At least four of the victims were being brought down yesterday. A Nagano police official described the number as more than 30. He spoke on condition of anonymity because he wasn’t authorised to speak publicly. Mount Ontake in central Japan erupted shortly before noon on Saturday, spewing large white plumes of gas and ash high into the sky and blanketing the surrounding area in ash. The mountain is a popular climbing destination, and at least 250 people were initially trapped on the slopes, though most made their way down by Saturday night. Before the unconscious victims were found, Japan’s Fire and Disaster Management Agency said that 45 people had been reported missing. The exact location of the bodies and their identities were not immediately known. Keita Ushimaru, an official in nearby Kiso town, said that Nagano crisis management officials had informed the town that at least four people with heart and lung failure were being brought down to the town, and that there were others in the same condition. The journey was expected to take about three hours. Rescue workers were also trying to help injured people and others who had been stranded on the mountain overnight, many taking refuge in mountain lodges. Military helicopters plucked seven people off the mountainside earlier yesterday, and workers were helping others make their way down the slopes. Seven people were picked up in three helicopter trips, said Defence Ministry official Toshihiko Muraki. All are conscious and can walk, though details of their conditions were unclear, he said. Japanese television footage showed a soldier descending from a helicopter to an ashcovered slope, helping latch on a man and then the two of them being pulled up. The Self-Defence Force, as Japan’s military is called, has deployed seven helicopters and 250 troops. Police and fire departments are also taking part in the rescue effort. A large plume, a mixture of white and grey, continued to rise from the ash-covered summit of 3067m Mount Ontake yesterday. The last major eruption of Mount Ontake, which sits about 210km west of Tokyo, was in 1979. Foods plant in Moore, near Oklahoma City. They said Nolen was repeatedly stabbing another woman when Vaughan Food executive Mark Vaughan shot him. That woman survived. Nolen appeared to have chosen his victims at random, police said of Thursday’s grisly incident, and there was no immediate indication of a link with terrorism. Shortage of beds, doctors in Ebola fight Firefighters and members of the Japan Self-Defence Forces prepare to rescue climbers near the peak of the ash-covered Mount Ontake Picture: AP Photo/Kyodo News MONROVIA: Doctors are in short supply. So are beds for patients. Six months into the world’s worst-ever Ebola outbreak, and the first to happen in an unprepared West Africa, the gap between what has been sent by other countries and private groups and what is needed is huge. Even as countries try to marshal more resources, those needs threaten to become much greater, and possibly even insurmountable. Fourteen-year-old DJ Mulbah was taken by his mother and grandmother on Saturday in desperate pursuit of a coveted bed at the Ebola clinic run by Doctors Without Borders in Monrovia, Liberia’s capital. Too weak to stand, he was put into a taxi with his backpack and a bucket for vomit. Now he lay on the dirt beside the worried women. “He’s been sick for a week with a runny stomach,” said his mother. By 8am a dozen people who likely have Ebola are crouching and sitting on the ground outside the padlocked metal gates of a facility with a capacity of 160 patients. Soon a triage nurse approaches, her voice muffled through a surgical mask covered by a plastic face shield. The clinic will take the boy. DJ manages a faint smile. Seven of the 30 beds made available Saturday morning were vacated by survivors. The rest had died. Statistics reviewed by The Associated Press and interviews with experts and those on the scene of one of the worst health disasters in modern history show how great the needs are and how little the world has done in response. The existing bed capacity for Ebola patients in Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea and Nigeria is about 820, well short of the 2900 beds that are currently needed, according to the World Health Organisation. Primary school deaths spark protest Cops move on sit-in for democracy YUNNAN: Chinese parents staged a protest yesterday after six pupils were killed in a stampede at a primary school on Friday. Pictures show riot police confronting dozens of parents, many of them wailing with grief, near Mingtong Primary School in Kunming, capital of the southwestern province of Yunnan. Officials said the children killed were in grades one and two, meaning they were likely six or seven-years-old. State news agency Xinhua said the accident happened when a 2m- long cotton cushion used for gym class, which had been propped against a wall, toppled over and blocked a stairway corridor. Several children were apparently trapped underneath and their schoolmates, streaming past, stepped on them without realising. HONG KONG: Hundreds of Hong Kong pro-democracy protesters were locked in a tense standoff with police who warned yesterday they would crack down on a mass sit-in outside government headquarters to demand Beijing grant genuine democratic re- forms for the former British colony. Students and activists have been camped out on the streets outside the government complex all weekend. Students started the rally but by early yesterday leaders of the broader Occupy Central civil move- ment said they were joining to kickstart a long-threatened mass sit-in. The protesters reject Beijing’s recent decision to restrict voting reforms for the firstever elections to choose the city’s leader in 2017. Police have arrested 78 people. NTNE01Z01MA - V1
© Copyright 2026 Paperzz