ARAB TIMES, WEDNESDAY, JULY 20, 2016 SPORTS 40 Olympics Roundup Brazil hopes all countries will be in Rio US to have most golfers in Brazil COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo, July 19, (Agencies): Golf’s return to the Olympics after 112 years will have seven Americans, the most of any country for men and women. It just won’t have their top two men. USA Golf nominated the players, who qualified through the world ranking last week. They require US Olympic Committee approval. US Open champion Dustin Johnson and two-time major champion Jordan Spieth withdrew, Johnson because of the Zika virus threat and Spieth for overall health concerns. The Americans have four men from the top 15 — Bubba Watson, Rickie Fowler, Patrick Reed and Matt Kuchar. The women have three players from the top 15 — Lexi Thompson, Stacy Lewis and Gerina Piller. Countries can have two players to fill each 60-player field, and up to four if all are inside the top 15. ❑ ❑ ❑ Brazil said it hopes that “all countries” will take part at next month’s Rio Olympics, after a report revealed rampant Russian state-run doping at the 2014 Sochi Winter Games and other major sporting events. The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) subsequently called for all Russian competitors and officials to be banned from the Rio Olympics after a probe for WADA found the FSB secret service helped “the statedictated failsafe system”. “I hope that all countries and athletes will be present, the Brazilian government hopes that all will be present,” said Brazilian sports minister Leonardo Picciani. ❑ ❑ ❑ The Ethiopian Athletics Federation has banned two marathon runners for four years each after they tested positive for steroids. The EAF says Taemo Shumye tested positive for nadrosterone last September, and Sentayehu Merga tested positive for 19-norandrostenedione last December. Their bans came into effect on Jan 25 this year. Neither of them has won any major titles. EAF spokesman Sileshi Bisrat says four other athletes remain under investigation by the World Anti-Doping Agency and the IAAF for doping. Fencer Gu Bon-gil will carry the South Korean flag at the opening ceremony of the Rio de Janiero Games, the Korean Olympic Committee said on Tuesday. The world number four won gold in the men’s team sabre at the 2012 London Games and was a silver medallist in the team and individual events at the 2014 World Championships in Kazan, Russia. The KOC also named 43-year-old handball goalkeeper Oh Yong-ran captain of the women’s delegation while three-time Olympic shooting gold medallist Jin Jong-oh will represent the men. Jin will also carry the flag when the South Korean delegation leaves for Rio on July 27, the KOC added. Jin will be competing in his fourth Olympics and the 36-year-old said his experience was probably the reason he was made captain. ❑ ❑ ❑ Epidemiologists from Mexico’s public health agency will accompany the country’s athletes to the Olympic Games for the first time this summer. Deputy Health Secretary Pablo Kuri Morales says the specialists South Korea’s fencing team members pose for a selfie after the athletes’ inaugural ceremony ahead of the Rio Olympic Games in Seoul on July 19. South Korea will be represented in 24 out of 28 sports by 204 athletes aiming for a top-10 finish at next month’s 2016 Rio Olympic Games. (AFP) will monitor athletes and try to keep them healthy in Rio de Janeiro next month. Each athlete will receive a fanny pack containing insect repellent and condoms. Brazil has seen an outbreak of the mosquito-transmitted Zika virus, which has been linked to devastating birth defects and a rare paralysis. Water-borne illnesses in Rio’s polluted waterways are a concern for athletes competing in those venues. Zika can also be transmitted sexually. ❑ ❑ Malaysian golfer Danny Chia is unfazed by the high-profile pullouts from next month’s Rio Games over the Zika virus and believes he will still have to battle a world class field to return with an Olympic medal. Golf’s return to Olympics for the first time since 1904 has been hit by withdrawals by big names, including the world’s top four players Jason Day, Dustin Johnson, Jordan Spieth and Rory McIlroy. “It’s a shame that golf will return to the Olympics after 112 years without the world’s top four stars and several other top players,” Chia told the Malaysian media. “There are still many world-class players in the 60-man field. They all want to win a medal badly for their country, including me. So, I think the golf competition is going to be a big success in Rio. I’m very proud to be part of it.” ❑ ❑ ❑ As hundreds of thousands of tourists begin descending on Rio de Janeiro for the Olympics that start Aug 5, the headlines have focused on the street violence, the Zika virus, the water pollution and the rush to finish venues and transport. But Rio, known by Brazilians as the “Marvelous City,” glistens despite it all. The beach is a way of life here. It is at once catwalk, sports arena, spa, and marketplace. It slows the city down, offering an escape from the chaotic metropolis of 6 million people. Here, during the height of summer as temperatures surpass 40ºC (104ºF), parasols stretch like a floating Technicolor carpet from one end of the beach to the other. It is also where most tourists will stay during the Games, with hotels in Copacabana and Ipanema nearly full and thousands more renting apartments through websites like Airbnb. During the soccer World Cup in 2014, fans from all over the world rendezvoused on Copacabana’s promenade, drinking and strutting on the famous wave-like mosaic paving stones. The same party atmosphere is expected for Rio 2016. One big attraction will be the beach volleyball arena, built on Copacabana’s sand with stunning views of the Atlantic. The matches will go late into the night, with the head of the beach volleyball federation saying he expects a party. ❑ ❑ ❑ Bulgarian junior national team coach will replace freestyle wrestler Lyuben Iliev at next month’s Rio Olympics after the 27-year-old went missing. “He (Iliev) just sank out of sight, we can’t reach him,” Bulgarian freestyle wrestling team coach Valentin Raychev told local media on Tuesday. “We’ll rely on (junior team coach) Dimitar Kumchev at the Olympics.” Raychev described Iliev — originally scheduled to compete in the 125-kg category in Rio — as “emotionally unstable” and said the wrestler went missing on July 4 when the national team returned to Bulgaria following a training camp in Russia. Iliev, who won the bronze medal at the 2013 European championship in Tbilisi, Georgia in the 96-kg category, qualified for the Rio Games after Belarus’ Yusup Jalilau tested positive for doping during the European Olympic Qualifier in May. In 2012, Iliev was detained and spent five days in custody following a scuffle with police officers in the southwestern town of Blagoevgrad. ❑ ❑ ❑ Switzerland is sending 109 athletes to the Rio de Janeiro Olympics with the aim of winning at least five medals. Team leader Ralph Stoeckli says the Swiss can win more if their medal candidates stay healthy and deliver their best performances. It’s the biggest Swiss Olympic team since 114 athletes competed at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics. The lineup includes Roger Federer at his fifth Summer Games. He won gold in doubles with Stan Wawrinka at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, and will renew the partnership in Rio. Federer’s silver in men’s singles was among four Swiss medals at the 2012 London Olympics. ❑ Hong Kong amateur golfer Tiffany Chan poses for photographers after a press conference to celebrate Chan’s qualifying for the Rio Olympics in Hong Kong, on July 19. Chan, 22, is one of only three amateur golfers qualifying for the Rio Olympics and the first in Hong Kong history. (AP) ❑ Bayliss hints at two spinners against Pakistan in 2nd Test ❑ ❑ Kosovo is sending eight athletes to its first Olympics, and even hopes to win a couple of medals. The Kosovo Olympic Committee introduced the eight on Tuesday; two swimmers, two judokas, two in athletics, one shooter, and a cyclist. “For the first time, we are feeling what it means to be equal among all the other athletes,” Kosovo Olympic Committee head Besim Hasani said at the presentation. Hasani said the other judoka, Nora Gjakova, could also be a medalist at under-57kg. Pakistan’s Sarfraz Ahmed (left), watches as England’s Jonny Bairstow plays a shot on the fourth day of the first Test cricket match between England and Pakistan at Lord’s cricket ground in London, on July 17. (AFP) Anderson set to make his Test return LONDON, July 19, (AFP): England coach Trevor Bayliss has said it’s possible the team could field two specialist spinners at home after Yorkshire leg-break bowler Adil Rashid was called into the squad for the second Test against Pakistan. Joining Rashid in an unusually large 14-man party were the fit-again duo of James Anderson and all-rounder Ben Stokes, with England looking to bounce back after last week’s 75-run defeat by Pakistan in the first Test at Lord’s. Pace bowler Anderson, England’s all-time leading wicket-taker, is now set to make his Test return on his Lancashire home ground when the second of a four-match series starts at Old Trafford on Friday. Anderson and Stokes have been proving their fitness following respective shoulder and knee injuries in the ongoing County Championship match between Lancashire and Durham at Southport near Liverpool. The more intriguing selection was that of Rashid, all of whose three Test appearances to date came in ‘spinfriendly’ conditions against Pakistan in the United Arab Emirates last year. England have long been reluctant CRICKET to field two spinners at home, where pitches in recent years have tended to favour faster bowlers. Moeen Ali, who for most of his career has been better known as a batsman, was effectively ‘milked’ by Pakistan in their first innings 339 at Lord’s and there are those who believe Rashid could replace him as England’s front-line spinner. But while neither Ali nor Rashid are in the class of Pakistan leg-spinner Yasir Shah, who rose to the top of the International Cricket Council Test bowling rankings after his 10-wicket haul at Lord’s, Bayliss said it was not impossible both men could feature in the same England side. “I’ve always thought of playing two spinners (at home), at some stage,” he said. “(Pakistan) have three left-arm pace bowlers, who created rough outside the off stump for Moeen,” the Australian added. “So looking ahead, if we did happen to have two spinners, they could both play an important part for us.” But the biggest immediate problem England have to solve after Lord’s is how to bat better against Shah, who knocked Anderson off the top of the rankings on a pitch that did not offer him that much assistance. “Our batters have to play their spin a lot better,” said Bayliss. “Especially in the first innings, I felt we gifted him a few wickets with shots I’m sure Australia stars get domestic pink ball help Elworthy appointed head WCup organiser LONDON, July 19, (Agencies): South African Steve Elworthy will head up the organisation of the 2019 Cricket World Cup being hosted in England and Wales after the former international cricketer was appointed managing director on Tuesday. The 51-year-old — who made 39 appearances for The Proteas in one day internationals and played in four Tests after being capped at the ripe old age of 32 — has accrued vast experience in the organisation of major tournaments. He was tournament director of the 2007 and 2009 World Twenty20 competitions and the 2013 Champions Trophy held in England and Wales — a competition he is also in charge of organising for the same hosts for next year. England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) chief executive officer Tom Harrison said Elworthy was the perfect man for the job based on his previous handling of tournaments. “He has an outstanding track record of delivering fan-friendly tournaments which have been widely admired not just in cricket, but across the wider sports industry,” Elworthy said Harrison. “Our congratulations to Steve on his appointment and we will be offering him and his team all the support they need to deliver successful tournaments in both 2017 and 2019.” ❑ ❑ ❑ Australia’s cricket stars will have the chance to play two domestic games with a pink ball to prepare for day-night Tests this summer against South Africa and Pakistan. Cricket Australia on Tuesday released its domestic fixture list, with the Sheffield Shield structured to help players get ready for using a ball many have complained is hard to see under lights. The first round of the tournament on Oct 25 will feature day/ night games in Brisbane, Perth and Melbourne, while the fifth round from Dec 5 will see the same format in Perth, Adelaide and Hobart. Day-night Tests using a pink ball are a central part of Australia’s home international schedule for 2016-17. The third and final Test against South Africa will be played under lights at Adelaide in November while the first of three Tests against Pakistan will get the same treatment in Brisbane in December. ❑ ❑ ❑ New Zealand Cricket chief David White called Tuesday for Test cricket to continue its pink-ball revolution by slashing the format to four days and introducing two divisions. The longest form of the game has struggled to find an audience in the Twenty20 era, prompting the introduction last year of daynight Test cricket played under lights with a pink ball. The Black Caps were part of that first day-night Test against Australia at Adelaide Oval and White described it as “one of the great sporting events”. But rather than rest on its laurels, White said Test cricket needed to keep innovating to improve its relevance. He strongly supported the idea of cutting the length of Tests from five days to four, which he said would “greatly assist with programming and player workloads”. The idea, first floated by former Australian captain Mark Taylor, has already won support from fellow Aussie greats Shane Warne and Greg Chappell, as well as England Cricket Board chairman Colin Graves. CRICKET “We need to seriously look at it,” White told ESPNCricinfo. com. “One of the challenges at the moment is if you play a threeTest series it has to be played over four weeks. Four weeks is a long time. “But if you play a three-Test series of four-day cricket, it can be played over three weeks, so you save a week.” ❑ Australian cricketer Stephen O’Keefe plays a shot during the second day of a three day practice match between Australia and Sri Lankan XI team at the P. Sara Oval Cricket Stadium in Colombo on July 19. Australia and Sri Lanka play three TestS, five One-Day Internationals and two T20 series matches between July 26 and Sept 9, with the first Test played from July 26 at the Pallekele International Cricket Stadium in Pallekele. (AFP) the boys would like to replay.” Hampshire batsman James Vince was retained despite a lowly average of under 19 after four Tests, with his ❑ ❑ Steve O’Keefe’s five-wicket haul in the tour match in Sri Lanka has raised his hopes of selection for Australia in the test series with regular spinner Nathan Lyon. Left-arm spinner O’Keefe took 5-43 at the P Sara Oval in Colombo as Australia dominated the opening day of their sole practice match before the series opener in Pallekele next week. Lyon went wicketless for 72 runs against the Sri Lanka Board XI but is unlikely to be dropped for the three-test series which is expected to feature drier wickets. O’Keefe, who made his test debut away against Pakistan in 2014, played only his second match in January, teaming up with Lyon at the spin-friendly Sydney Cricket Ground against West Indies. The pair took three wickets apiece in the first innings of the rain-hit match. O’Keefe returned marginally better figures than Lyon in both his test appearances but said he was still very much the 28-yearold’s understudy. 42 in the second innings at Lord’s his highest score. But he seemed unaware he was being drawn ever wider by Pakistan’s seamers in the hope of being caught in the slip cordon, which is exactly how he fell after edging Wahab Riaz to Younis Khan. England backed Chris Woakes after some unconvincing early displays and saw the Warwickshire paceman return match figures of 11 for 102 at Lord’s. Bayliss hopes England will be rewarded for adopting an equally patient approach with Vince. “Most of the innings he’s played, I think he has looked very good while he has been there,” said Bayliss. “The way he goes about it — personally, I think it would be an injustice if he doesn’t make it.” However, he added: “In the end, it will be the number of runs that determines his longevity in the team. “I’m sure he is starting to feel the pressure. “He’d like to be scoring more runs. Ask anyone who has been in that situation, it is a difficult thing to go out and play your natural game. He has some work to do.
© Copyright 2026 Paperzz