Late 1800s Hand-Drawn Hose Reel Cart Hoses were bulky and heavy so transport to the ﬁre was difﬁcult. The use of large reels of hose on wheeled carriages and pulled by hand were a genuine improvement. on loan from Sacramento Fire Museum Hose carts used wheels of different widths, depending on the surface they were used on: narrow wheels for hard surfaces like city streets; wide wheels for soft surfaces like dirt or grass. Hose carts like this one were small enough that they could be pulled to a ﬁre by a group of men. Horse-drawn carts came into greater use as the amounts of hose and other equipment needed required a larger ﬁreﬁghting vehicle. The most basic problem in ﬁreﬁghting has always been the difﬁculty in transporting water to the location of a ﬁre. Hand-carried leather buckets were commonly used in colonial times. But by the mid-1800s, hoses improved the situation as pumping devices became more common and allowed greater and more consistent water supply. Some of the more sophisticated hose carts had mounted bells that were struck as the wheels rotated, thereby providing an audible warning to people and vehicles on the street to move out of the way - an early siren! 1875 Hand-Pulled Ladder Truck Numerous communities in the 1800s were destroyed by ﬁre and residents became determined to provide additional ﬁre ﬁghting to help protect their homes and businesses. on loan from Sacramento Fire Museum Ladder trucks usually carried other equipment besides ladders, such as buckets for water or sand, hooks on poles to pull down burning material, and other tools to ﬁght the ﬁre. Concerned citizens were encouraged to serve as volunteer ﬁreﬁghters. Unfortunately, the cost of dedicated ﬁre ﬁghting apparatus was a challenge for many smaller towns and villages. Small, hand-pulled ladder trucks such as this one were often the ﬁrst step many communities could take. With residents living Fire has always been a threat in relatively close but this was especially true as proximity, news of a ﬁre communities became denser in could be passed quickly the 19th century, but used wood construction and open ﬁres for and volunteers would cooking and heating. Oil lamps gather to pull a ladder truck and candles added to the potential threat of ﬁre as well. to the ﬁre. 1895 Hand-Drawn Ladder Wagon Built by W.T.Y. Schenck of San Francisco, this wagon carried the longer ladders needed to ﬁght ﬁres in taller buildings. on loan from Sacramento Fire Museum Most communities had wells throughout the area or sometimes cisterns for water storage. A cistern is a tank, often similar to a wood barrel, sunk into the ground. Water would be obtained either by dipping buckets or using a hose attached to a pump. In the days before underground water supplies and ﬁre hydrants on almost every block, getting water to the ﬁre was a challenge. Since pumping units were expensive, it was common for ﬁreﬁghting equipment to have a supply of buckets - such as on this wagon - to bring water to the ﬁre. In the late 1800s, many ﬁre ﬁghting vehicles were hand-drawn by the ﬁreﬁghters themselves rather than by horses. For communities with volunteer ﬁreﬁghters, it was simply faster to pull the wagon to the ﬁre instead of taking time to get horses and hitch them to the wagon. The ﬁreﬁghters and other citizens would form a “bucket brigade” where a line of people would pass buckets of water toward the ﬁre and send empty buckets back to be reﬁlled. 1901 Seagrave Horse-Drawn Hose Wagon on loan from The Gold Rush Fire Brigade Wagons of this type carried some 800 feet of ﬁre hose, usually a woven cloth sleeve with a rubberized interior lining that was more ﬂexible and able to handle more pressure than earlier types. As cities grew with taller buildings, the need for more hose to ﬁght ﬁres was apparent. Larger horse-drawn wagons quickly replaced the smaller hand-drawn hose carts. The hose wagons would work with a separate pumping engine (a hand-operated or steam-powered pump) to draw water from a nearby source and then deliver the water to the site of the ﬁre. While some communities had full-time paid ﬁreﬁghters and stations, many still depended on volunteer ﬁre companies. And when On the sides of this wagon are horses were not on standby, long poles with a curved hook at it was common for the one end. Those poles were used ﬁreﬁghters to commandeer to pull down burning material to allow better access for the the nearest horse to pull the ﬁreﬁghters. hose wagon to the ﬁre. 1921 American LaFrance Pumper Truck on loan from Sacramento Fire Museum American LaFrance was probably one of the best known and well-respected builders of ﬁre trucks from 1903-2014. This particular truck was purchased in 1921 by the city of Dixon as their ﬁrst motorized pumper truck. American LaFrance built a wide variety of trucks, including pumpers, ladder trucks, and other emergency vehicles utilizing a number of engines from other suppliers. A disastrous 1920 hotel ﬁre proved that the pressure from the hydrants were insufﬁcient to battle the blaze. The community rallied together to raise funds to purchase the truck. Pumper trucks are probably the type of ﬁre truck that most people think of. Pumper trucks are properly referred to as ﬁre engines since they can carry and pump water onto a ﬁre PLUS carry other ﬁre ﬁghting equipment such as ladders, hose, and other tools. The truck gained the nickname of the “C.P. Huntington”. That was the most powerful locomotive at the time and the people of Dixon hoped that the truck would be a powerful pumper as well. 1921 Graham “Mason” Chemical Truck Chemical ﬁre ﬁghting dates to the 1800s, with tanks containing bicarbonate of soda and sulfuric acid. When combined, the reaction generates pressure and a foamy liquid that can be sprayed onto a ﬁre. on loan from Wally Clark of Roseville Shriners The Graham brothers built trucks from 1916 to 1928 when they signed an agreement with Dodge Brothers to build Graham trucks sold through Dodge dealers. By 1929, Graham had been totally taken over by Dodge. Chemical engines began as hand-drawn carts, then horse-drawn, and, by the early 1900s, motorized vehicles such as this 1921 Graham. This particular Graham chemical ﬁre truck was originally in service in Watkins Glen, New York. Purchased in 1955 by famed collector William Harrah, the truck was sold in 1966 to the Roseville Shriners. Restored locally, the truck is a well-known participant in many local events and parades. Chemical engines were often kept at smaller, residential stations and used against ﬁres until larger trucks with pumps and hoses arrived. 1924 REO Chemical Truck Different from the typical ﬁre engine that most people think of, a chemical truck had tanks in the back where soda-acid could be added to water to suppress the ﬁre. on loan from Sacramento Fire Museum This truck was originally housed in downtown Sacramento in a residential area. The original ﬁre house building on C Street still exists today. Chemical trucks were common in the more suburban or residential areas of California in the ﬁrst few decades of the 20th century. The REO Motor Car Company was founded in 1905 by Ransom E. Olds. Previous to This truck, as well as that, he also founded others in the display, Oldsmobile. During the Great had a frame-off restoration by the Depression, REO ended Pioneer Mutual Hook production on automobiles to and Ladder Society, focus on producing trucks only. which operates the Sacramento Fire REO produced their last trucks Museum. in the 1970s. 1924 Seagrave Pumping Truck This 1924 Seagrave was originally conﬁgured as a chemical engine, but was rebuilt as a motorized pumper after a severe accident that required a total rebuild. The engine saw service for many years here in Sacramento. on loan from Sacramento Fire Museum One of the most respected builders of ﬁre apparatus was the Seagrave Company, founded by Frederick S. Seagrave in 1881 in Michigan. Seagrave moved to Columbus, Ohio in 1891 and was soon building aerial ladders and ﬁreﬁghting vehicles by 1907. The truck is powered by a six-cylinder, T-head engine producing 130 horsepower. The truck carries 1000 feet of ﬁre hose, a 40 gallon chemical tank, and 400 feet of chemical hose. An engine of this type would have cost over $11,000 in 1924, a very expensive vehicle! Note the truck has right-hand drive and the pump controls are on the right side as well. The mechanical pump can provide some 500+ gallons per minute of water, drawn through the large diameter hoses carried on the sides of the engine. 1931 Ford Model AA Rail Fire Truck The Ford Model AA truck was the heavy-duty version of the Model A truck. Sold with the same standard 40 HP four-cylinder engine, the Model AA was available with just a cab and chassis allowing for custom rear bodywork. on loan from California State Railroad Museum After almost a half century of service, the ﬁre truck was retired and, in 1980, was donated to the California State Railroad Museum by the Southern Paciﬁc Railroad, owners of the San Diego & Arizona Eastern Railway. In 1933, this vehicle was modiﬁed to have railroad wheels, allowing it to travel along the San Diego & Arizona Eastern Railway. A group of dedicated volunteers at the California State Railroad Museum restored the Model AA ﬁre truck, where it is displayed as part of their wonderful collection, in fully operational condition. Based near the Mexican border, the truck fought ﬁres that threatened the railroad’s wooden trestles and timber-lined tunnels. Reﬁlling from trackside water tanks, the truck was able to quickly respond to ﬁres in isolated areas of the tracks. 1940 GMC / Van Pelt CDF Crew Truck In 1940, the State of California’s Division of Forestry ordered 24 eight-man ﬁre crew trucks from the P.E. Van Pelt Company of Oakdale, California. on loan from Jim & Don Dobbas In 1940, pickup and other trucks were not available with the extended cab seating found in modern trucks, so benches were built into the rear bodywork to carry some of the eight-man crew. Van Pelt’s ﬁre equipment was built on 1940 GMC 1 1/2 ton pickup trucks with dual rear wheels. The six-cylinder engine provided 90 horsepower, and was ﬁtted with a four-speed transmission and two-speed rear axle. The equipment carried by this truck included: A front-mounted Barton pump with a 250 gallons/minute capacity; a steel water tank carrying 280 gallons; 150 feet of reel hose; 500 feet of cotton hose; 24 feet of 3-inch suction hose; and hand tools to equip eight men. Trucks like this one often had to operate in remote areas so needed to carry a variety of equipment. 1948 White / Van Pelt Pumper Truck In service in West Sacramento until the early 1970s, this ﬁre truck has a typical combination of chassis and engine from one company (White) and bodywork and ﬁre-ﬁghting equipment from another (Van Pelt). on loan from Sacramento Fire Museum The body and ﬁreﬁghting equipment on this truck was made by the P.E.Van Pelt company of nearby Oakdale, CA. They were a major manufacturer of ﬁre-ﬁghting apparatus from the 1920s through the 1990s. Van Pelt built a wide variety of truck types using the chassis from several manufacturers. This pumper truck carries a wide variety of ﬁre-ﬁghting equipment including hoses, ladders, and its own water supply. The powerful front-mounted pump and large, rigid hoses allowed the truck to draw water from nearby sources. The truck chassis is a 1948 White powered by their six-cylinder, L-head, 125 HP engine. During their heyday, approximately 10% of all commercial trucks in the U.S. were White trucks. Front-mounted pumps were less expensive and more popular with smaller communities than built-in pumps. The hand controls on the radiator shell allowed control of the main engine while using the pump. 1953 Pontiac Ambulance on loan from Sacramento Fire Museum Early ambulances were often built on modiﬁed car chassis. Makes such as Packard, Lincoln, Pontiac, Buick, and Ford were the basis for ambulance use. Technical Specs Engine: I-8, OHV, 268 cu. in. 122 HP. Transmission: Three-speed manual with the option of a four-speed Hydramatic. Brakes: Servo-assisted hydraulic drums. Several companies built dedicated ambulance bodies for car chassis, but were usually quite expensive. It was common for ambulances to be modiﬁed station wagons instead, taking advantage of their extra space. Ambulances are vehicles designed to transport people with illness or injury to a hospital or location where they can receive medical care. Generally designed to transport one or two patients, ambulances have equipment and supplies to provide initial medical care while enroute. This vehicle is one of those modiﬁed station wagons, with an addition of emergency lights, removal of the second seat, and other modiﬁcations. This vehicle served for many years in Citrus Heights, CA. WANT TO SIT ON A FIRE ENGINE? Ask any docent in the Museum! They can help you climb on this 1921 Graham. Thank you Wally Clark and the Sacramento Shriners for letting our visitors experience this! Please do not go on it by yourself.
© Copyright 2021 Paperzz