Barcelona 1714 In 1700 died Carlos II, king of Spain. He

Barcelona 1714
In 1700 died Carlos II, king of Spain. He had no descendants. This fact
triggered one of the major international conflicts since the European powers
came to dispute the control of the vast Spanish Empire, proposing their own
candidates for the Spanish crown.
Catalan and most of the kingdoms of the Aragon Crown supported the
Archduke Charles of Austria, candidate of the Hague Alliance. On the other
hand, Philip of Anjou, grandson of Louis XIV of France, was supported by the
Spanish kingdom and France.
The war lasted, in Europe, from 1701 to 1713. Internationally, the forces of the
two candidates to occupy the Spanish crown were very balanced. This conflict
ended when, in 1711, an unexpected event changed the course of events:
Archduke Charles, after the death of his brother Joseph I, inherited the Austrian
throne, losing the support of England to occupy the Spanish crown. England
was afraid of the excessive power of the Habsburg dynasty in Europe, with the
possible formation of a large Austrian bloc to dominate the European continent.
In Catalonia, the war started in 1705 after the proclamation of Charles III of
Austria, and the conflict passed with variable success until the abandonment of
the Hague Alliance in 1712. But Catalonia still prolongs the resistance until 11
September of 1714, when Barcelona fell, after thirteen months of siege. The
victory of Philip V supposed the abolition of the Catalan government bodies and
the imposition of the Castile institutions and laws through the Decree of Nova
Planta in 1716.
From Cooltur we invite you to visit some of the battlegrounds and
institutional buildings that had an important role in the conflict that
changed Spain's influence in the world and ended with the Catalan
Sant Antoni’s Bastion
Sant Antoni’s Bastion was located on the
third enclosure wall that enclosed the
eastern part of the city. It was built facing
the old Portal de Sant Antoni, which opened
at the end of the street of the same name.
By the mid-fourtheenth century the sections
of the wall between la Rambla and the
Tallers street were built. This was the most
important building of this sector, becoming
the triumphal gate of the city used by the
kings, princes and ambassadors.
This Portal took its names from a
little chapel located near this
construction. This gate was flanked
by two polygonal towers: Sant Urbà
on the right and Sant Ibó on the left.
During the Segadors War (16401652) continued the reforms and
modernization of this gate until a
new Bastion, the Sant Antoni’s
Bastion, was built in 1644.
During the Succession War of Spain
didn’t occur any significant military
action in this bastion, except for the fact
that during the Battle of Montjuic, in
1705, the Borbon reinforcements came
trhough this Bastion. 400 grenadiers
riding, mostly Irish, tried to reinforce the
garrison of the castle. In his ascension
they clashed with the British column
that ran the Austriacist ex-Viceroy of
Catalonia, Prince George of Darmstadt, and due to
language confusion and darkness, managed to
enter the castle with several English prisoners and
slay the Prince.
In the nineteenth century this bastion was brought
down gradually to build Sant Antoni’s market. The
comprehensive reform of this market, in 2009,
exposed the remains of this fortification.
Head over to the southeast by Comte d'Urgell Street to the Ronda de Sant
62 m
Turn left per Sant Antoni Abat Street
230 m
Turn right by the Pedró Square
52 m
Continue along Hospital Street
Go to the roundabout.
350 m
Hospital Street, 73
Hospital de la Santa Creu
In the early fifteenth century, Barcelona
had six small hospitals: Desvilar or
Almoina Hospital, Marcús Hospital, d’en
Colom Hospital, Vilar or Sant Macià
Hospital, Santa Eulàlia Hospital and
Santa Margarida Hospital. These
hospitals were created by religious
orders or individuals. All of them
depended of the Consell de Cent
(Catalan Government) or the Chapter of
the Barcelona’s Cathedral, but the major part of its revenue came from public
In early 1401, all of these institutions had economic
difficulties. It’s for this reason that the civil
government and the religious authorities decided to
built a new and unique hospital. With this unique
hospital the authorities would improve the
administration and the management of the revenues.
Pope Benedict XIII approve this decision by a bull
nt of the Santa Creu Hospital.
This new hospital, one of the oldest
hospitals in the world, was designed as
a large building with four wings with a
rectangular shape, two floors high and
arranged around a courtyard, following
the model of a cloister. This new
building was built in 1450. During
the eighteenth century this building
was expanded, and throughout the
nineteenth century minor operations
were performed.
During the Spanish Succession
War, in 1706 and 1713-1714, this
hospital hosted the wounded soldiers of the two armies as it was recorded in
the income books.
Actually, this building is occupied by the Catalunya Library. The Hospital is
located in the Ronda Guinardó.
Go east on Hospital Street to the Canonge Colom Square
250 m
Turn right by Les Rambles
18 m
Turn left onto Boqueria Street
190 m
Turn left on Banys Nous Street
Turn right on Call Street
130 m
Continue straight onto Sant Jaume Square
28 m
Palace of the Generalitat de Catalunya
Diputació General
Initially, the Diputacions del General
were a temporary committees to
collect the tax of the pactum, a pact
between the King, the Cortes and the
earth, designated, for the first time, in
The new form of warfare of the
fourteenth century created the need to
create a tax system, where all citizens
should pay. This system was created
to supply the economic problems
that the different kingdoms had.
One of the problems that the king
had was the constitutional
system that the Aragon Crown
had. This fact forced the king to
negotiate with the Parliament.
The result of these negotiations,
in 1358 – 1359, the parliament
gave a big economic donation to
finance the long war against Castilla. Also, it was agreed to designate 12
deputies to create the Provincial Council of the General in Catalonia as
representing the three estates who had gathered in Parliament.
This commission was continuing to raise the taxes in Catalonia and manage
real government debt. The Standing Committee, the Provincial Government of
General de Catalunya, was under the authority of the ecclesiastical deputy,
which was considered the President of the Generalitat.
The institution established its headquarters in
representatives acquired the original house
on Sant Honorat Street, with subsequent
extensions would result in the current Palau
de la Generalitat de Catalunya.
From this period are the Gothic gallery, part
of Sant Honorat (main entrance at the time),
the state rooms on the first floor, the Sant
Jordi chapel and the Gothic facade of the
Carrer del Bisbe, with images by Pere Joan.
The gothic gallery is the best preserved, and
maintains the original form. The Bisbe Street
façade has a door crowned by a crest with
pinnacles, gargoyles and a balustrade with a
rich tracery.
In the late sixteenth century the building was expanded. The expansion, made
by Pere Blai, began in 1597 with the demolition of some houses. The new
façade follows the inspiration of the Italian Renaissance. This building was
finished between 1616 and 1619. The most important part of this construction
was the Sant Jordi’s chapel, located in the centre of the first floor. In the
eighteenth century, this chapel was transformed into the Sant Jordi’s Hall.
The front door of this building is flanked by four plain Doric columns of Roman
origin. These columns were made in Troy and moved to Tarragona.
This government took more
power after 1413. In its economic
and administrative functions, it
was added the implementation of
the decisions agreed in the
Catalan Court. This government
had the jurisdiction of politics,
judicial power and military
control. This fact culminated in
several wars against the crown
along the XVI-XVII centuries.
As regards its role during the War of Succession, the Archduke Charles of
Austria, already become Carlos III, called the Cortes at the Sant Jordi’s Salon in
1705. In those sessions the new king restored many privileges, uses and
Catalan customs. The operation of the institution responded to a republican
conception of politics based on consensus through dialogue and representation
of all sectors involved.
Head over to the northeast by Sant Jaume Square to the Bisbe Street
15 m
Turn right at Ciutat Street
48 m
Ciutat Street 1
Casa de la Ciutat
This is a Gothic facade of the city council. This façade was
made in 1399 by Arnau Bargués. During the XIX century,
when it was built the main façade in Sant Jaume Square,
this part of the building was close to be destroyed. The
works of demolition were stopped thanks to the protests of
the Bones Lletres Academy and the Royal Academy of Fine
Arts of Sant Jordi. Unfortunately this façade was mutilated,
where the door was
shifted to the right.
The Consell de Cent
government during the war in 1714. As
it was a tradition during a war, the
Santa Eulalia flag was raised on the
windows. This flag was picked up for
the battle in three occasions: 26
January 1641 for the Montjuic Battle, in
1706 for the Montjuic Battle, and during
the siege of Barcelona on 11
September of 1714, when the Minister
Rafael Casanova was wounded in
Head over southeast per Ciutat Street onto Hercules Street
150 m
Continue along Regomir Street
Destination will be on the left
55 m
Regomir Street, 13
Vilana-Perlas Palace
Although it has traditionally been attributed to
Gualbes family, according to Albert GarciaEspuche this grand palace was owned by
Ramon de Vilana-Perlas and Camarasa,
Marquis of Rialp, one of the most importantAustrian nobles of Barcelona of the early
eighteenth century.
The building occupies a large plot and maintains
the structure of the palace of the XIV century
with patio, two towers and gallery, as well as
some original features. It is especially
remarkable the baroque portal of the early
eighteenth century.
Vilana-Perlas was appointed Secretary of
Universal Office of Carlos III in 1707 and
awarded the title of Marquis of Rialp in 1710.
Until 1713, Vilana-Perles lived in this Palace.
After the defeat of 1714, this building was
occupied by José Patiño, mayor of Catalonia
in 1713 and president of the Government.
José Patiño was one of the architect of the
Nova Planta Decree.
Head over to the southeast by Regomir Street onto Correu Vell Street
100 m
Turn left onto Ample Street
65 m
Turn right at Fusteria Street
58 m
Turn left on Antonio López Square
60 m
Turn left on Via Laietana
Turn right on Consolat de Mar Street
88 m
Calle del Consolat de Mar, 35
Buildings of Consolat de Mar Street
These arcaded buildings are one
of the few vestiges of the La
Ribera Neighbourhood. The rest
of this neighbourhood was
destroyed after 1714.
These porches were much more
extensive. In this site where
located the workshops of the
carpenters who worked in the
Drassanes (Shipyards).
These porches were toppled during the construction of the Via Laietana in the
XIX century.
Turn to the northeast by Consolat de Mar Street to Orgues Street
51 m
Turn right at the Placeta de Palau
Destination will be on the left
Llotja de Mar
King Peter the Ceremonious authorized the construction of a closed room
Contractacions) to protect
the trader to the weather.
architect who directed the
work, between 1384 and
1397. This is a large room
supported by four columns.
The roof is made with wood. In 1457 was added an upper floor to situate the
Consulat de Mar. In 1714 this building became the war headquarter.
After the war this building was modernized. In 1775 the Free School of Design
and the Academy of Fine Arts were located in this building.
From 1915 to 1994 he was the headquarters of the Barcelona Stock Market.
Now it is the Chamber of Commerce of Barcelona.
During the Spanish Succession War was
represented the scene of the first
performance of an Italian opera in Spain.
After that, on July 2, 1708, Antonio
Caldara's opera Il più bel nome was
released. In the following months several
operas were sung, some of which were
world premieres.
After the war the operatic activity was
stopped until 1750 when the opera started again at the Santa Creu theatre.
Go southeast by Placita of Palau to the Isabel II Promenade
37 m
Turn left at Isabel II Promenade
74 m
Turn right at the Placita of Palau
160 m
Placita del Palau – Migdia Bastion
Migdia Bastion
The construction of the sea wall
started in the sixteenth century. This
wall was demanded by Charles
Emperor, who would to protect the
city against the pirates. This
construction was paid by Barcelona’s
citizens. The financial problems
lengthened these works about 150
Succession War, Barcelona was
protected for eleven bastions.
Migdia’s Bastion was near to the Pla de
Palau. Its orientation made it a good point to
protect the city against the sea attacks. This
bastion was one of the most violent scenes
during the Spanish Succession War on
September 11 of 1714.
On Septembre 11 of 1714, at 7.00, the
Borbon right flank reaches the Jonqueres
bastion. There was a strong battle, where the
troops of the Minister Rafael
Santa Eulàlia’s flag, could
stop the Borbon flank.
Meanwhile, on the left flank,
the Borbon army arrived in
front of the Migdia Bastion.
Borbon army started to shoot
the buildings with the result
that they could open large gaps. Fortunately for the army who protected this
bastion, they could stop the Borbonic troops.
Head over to the northwest by Placita of Palau to the Marquesa Street
220 m
Turn Slight left to stay on Placita of Palau.
42 m
Turn right on l'Espaseria Street
80 m
Turn left on l'Anisadeta Street
Turn right on Santa María Square
Destination will be on your right
21 m
Santa María Square
Santa Maria del Mar
Santa Maria del Mar, formerly Santa Maria de les
Arenes, is a Gothic church built between 1329
and 1383. This church is located in the Ribera
district. Berenguer de Montagut and Ramon
Despuig were the foremen of the construction of
this church.
The actual church is erected on the oldest church
of Santa Maria de les Arenes, documented in
998. This temple was risen above the place
where were finding the Santa Eulàlia relics. In
1005 appears the name of Santa Maria del Mar.
This church was in the neighbourhood of
Vilanova del Mar, a suburb of Barcelona.
During the Spanish Succession War this church was turned into a palatal
church when Charles III (or Jordi Hessen-Darmstadt) built a skywalk to connect
this church with the Viceroy or Real Palace.
The only vestige of that passage is
the current Malcuinat Street; the
difference of the stone colour
between the fourth and the fifth
window from the nearest wall indicate
us where this skywalk was. This
church was chosen to celebrate the
wedding of Archduke Charles and
Princess Elizabeth of Brunswick on
August 1, 1708.
Head over to the southeast on Santa Maria Square towards the l'Anisadeta
21 m
Turn left on l'Anisadeta Street
Continue on Santa María Street
Destination will be on your right
Fossar de les Moreres
Ancient minor or secondary cemetery of
Santa Maria del Mar, it was used until
1775, when burials were forbidden
inside the walls for a public health
After the battle of Septembre 11 of 1714
this site became a mass grave where
were buried the bodies of the city
defenders against the Borbon troops.
This area was close to the war zones.
Santa Maria del Mar was used as a field
hospital during the battle.
Despite the disappearance of the
cemetery, paved in the early nineteenth
century, the place always maintained its
iconic character and patriotic meaning.
During the 1989 refurbishment, this area
was covered with red bricks, symbol of
the blood spilled during the battle.
Head over to the east by Fossar de les Moreres Square onto Malcuinat Street
12 m
Girard Slight left to stay on Fossar de les Moreres Square
39 m
Turn right at Born Promenade
43 m
Turn left by Montcada Street
53 m
Continue along Montcada Street
Destination will be on the left
28 m
Dalmases Palace
This building was reformed during the
XVII century. It still preserves a Gothic
church of the XV century. The façade is
simple, with balconies framed with
stones, and followed by carved
gargoyles. The most interesting part is
the ladder of the inner courtyard which
supporting the arches and sculpted
frieze evoking the Rape of Europa and Neptune's chariot. It is one of the most
interesting works of Catalan Baroque.
This reform was built during 1690 by
Pau Ignasi de Dalmases, noble and
erudite Catalan, son of a wealthy
merchant. He was one of the creators of
the Desconfiats Academy, an intellectual
and erudite circle. During the Spanish
Succession War he supported the
Borbon army until the king imprisoned
him as a conspirator. Then he started to
support the Austriacist army. Charles sent him
as ambassador to the United Kingdom and
Netherland to try to revive the war in favour of
the Catalans.
When Philip V pardoned him, Pau Ignasi de
Dalmases came back to Barcelona and
worked as academic. He left an extensive
correspondence and his library rested to
Dalmases family until in 1916 was acquired by the Catalonia Library.
The General Staff used this Palace as headquarters during the siege of 17131714.
Go southeast along Montcada Street onto Arc de Sant Vicenç Street
28 m
Continue on Montcada Street
53 m
Turn left to Born Promenade
170 m
Turn left on Comerç Street
12 m
Turn slightly right.
El Born Cultural Centre
Ancient market, in 2003 the government
started a process of making a library and
a civic centre in the old district of la
Ribera. This district is where the Spanish
Succession War took more importance in
When the war was finished, the new King
forced the citizens to break down their
Government would to build a
Ciutadella. The old citizens of this
district came to live in huts along
the beach until the new district of
Barceloneta was built in 1753. It’s
possible to visit the remains of this
old district as they were before the
As an anecdote, the condition of
the neighbourhood has allowed to identify the exact spot where he fell wounded
Marshal Antonio de Villarroel, while commanding the cavalry charge of
unsuccessful counterattack against the breach of the walls of Santa Clara.
Head over to the southeast toward Ribera Street
Turn left onto Ribera Street
99 m
Turn right at Picasso Avenue
58 m
Turn left on Destillers Street
100 m
Parc de la Ciutadella
This park is the result of the demolition
of the Borbon Citadel. This citadel, built
on the old Ribera district, was designed
to guard the city of Barcelona after the
construction with the Montjuic Castle
closes the city of Barcelona.
The fortification had a diameter of 547
meters from its centre to its five bastions
(King, Queen, Prince, Don Fernando
and Don Felipe); if we include also the
moat, it would be extended to 617 m of
diameter. The
two bastions
confronted the
city had
height of 16
rest of the bastions had a height of 11 meters. This
fact is an evidence that the intention of the
Government was to control the city. The moat had a
deep of 6 meters. The dimensions of this citadel were
over 28,6 hectares, equated to the great European
strengths as Lille or Sant Ferran of Figueres.
century Barcelona was bombed
several times, from this citadel, to
against the military government of
the state. After many demands, it
wasn’t until the Revolution of
1868 when the city could bring
down this fort. After this demolition the City Council transformed this space into
a park.
Go east
38 m
Slight right onto the Joan Fiveller Square
100 m
Turn left on Joan Fiveller Square
80 m
Turn right l'Institut Escola Street
40 m
Turn slightly left.
24 m
Turn slightly right.
Destination will be on your right
23 m
Joan Fiveller Square
Borbon buildings
The only remains of the fortress of Ciutadella are the Baroque Chapel (even
today is a military chapel); the Military Governor Palace (with a classical style
that it had been an School during the Republic, a fire station and, actually, the
Verdaguer Institute); and finally the Arsenal (current Parliament of Catalonia).
(The following items are currently buried and included in the itinerary as a
curiosity. Perhaps in the near future they will be visible)
Go southwest
Turn slight right onto Joan Fiveller Square
42 m
Turn slight right onto Joan Fiveller Square
31 m
Turn left on Joan Fiveller Square
48 m
Turn slightly right.
13 m
Turn slightly left.
Turn slightly right.
39 m
Turn slightly left.
17 m
Turn slightly right.
79 m
Turn slightly left.
Remains buried of the Sant Daniel Portal
In 2005 were discovered the remains of the
Sant Daniel Portal, one of the entrances of
the medieval wall of the XIV century. This
portal was reformed several times. This
gate consisted of two polygonal towers
reinforced with two rakes and a stone
bridge to save a pit.
During the siege of 1714 this point was one
of the hardest hit parts of the wall. On 13
and 14 of August, this sector received a
violent frontal assault between the two
armies. This assault was rejected for the
defenders of Barcelona. This attack caused
heavy casualties on the both sides.
On Septembre 11 of 1714 the defences couldn’t
stop the Borbon attack. The Borbon army could
enter into the city where the attack continued.
Surprisingly the portal was preserved as it had
been after the battle until it was torn down to
build the Citadel. During the archaeological
works it was possible to locate some impact of
guns, ammunition, trench and other items
related to the last battle.
Go southwest
17 m
Turn slight right onto Distillers Street
83 m
Turn left onto Distillers Street
30 m
Turn slight right onto Distillers Street
77 m
Turn left onto Distillers Street
13 m
Turn right on Distillers Street
400 m
Arc de Triomf, Passeig Lluís Companys
Portal Nou Bastion
Built as a forward defense to the medieval
city walls, this Bastion was attached to the
Portal Nou and preserved medieval towers.
Vaguely pentagonal, an exit was built on its
eastern flank through an arched bridge. This
Bastion had some reforms for the different
wars against France from 1635. It’s known
that this bastion was partially destroyed in
the siege of 1697. During the Spanish
Succession War, this bastion received most
of the Borbon attacks. Nearby to this bastion
there was an entrance of the Rec Comtal, a
This bastion was demolished after 1714 for
the construction of the Borbon Citadel.
From COOLTUR hope you enjoyed this tourist tour and we wish you will
have a good day.